LCVG

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed by a stingray

db

Very sad news indeed. While I haven't watched his show recently (seems like it was mostly reruns) I enjoyed his enthusiasm for protecting some of Earth's most amazing creatures. He was a wonderful educator when it came to conservation of wildlife.

Steve will be sorely missed.

Very sad news indeed. While I haven't watched his show recently (seems like it was mostly reruns) I enjoyed his enthusiasm for protecting some of Earth's most amazing creatures. He was a wonderful educator when it came to conservation of wildlife.

Steve will be sorely missed.

His show was cancelled (doomed to reruns) after he did that stunt with his young boy, Bob. Once that happened he lost support for doing his Crocodile Hunter show for fear it wouldn't have the same fan base as it had before. Once that happened he started working on documentaries and the like.

Such a shame. Even as a goofball playing with fire, Irwin was always pretty damn likeable. And the worst part is just how rare it is to manage to get yourself killed by a manta ray. Read a report from one Aussie newspaper saying that he was the third person killed by one in something like 68 years.

That's incredibly, incredibly unlucky.

An important detail has been revealed about the way Irwin died. The stingray that killed him was buried in the sand and shot its barb up as Irwin swam over it.

I'm sure many presumed Irwin pounced on the fish or was mishandling it in some way, but it seems it was just a freak accident.

An important detail has been revealed about the way Irwin died. The stingray that killed him was buried in the sand and shot its barb up as Irwin swam over it.

I'm sure many presumed Irwin pounced on the fish or was mishandling it in some way, but it seems it was just a freak accident.

So it wasn't even defending itself from his antics? He just happened to be swimming by when it decided to try out it's barb? That's nuts; of all the places in the ocean, and all the Stingrays... man.

He never struck me much as someone to manhandle or hurt an animal, on the other end of that though, I'm sure the ray didn't stick him for no reason. It must have felt threatened by his presence, shadow, wake in the water...whatever. I'd hate to see people start spearing these things on sight just out of fear and ignorance.

I thought I heard on the news that he pulled the barb out himself, meaning it must have broken off from the ray, if so he may have done the most damage by himself. Ripping that thing out of his chest with those barbs in it probably did a good deal of damage.

So it wasn't even defending itself from his antics? He just happened to be swimming by when it decided to try out it's barb? That's nuts; of all the places in the ocean, and all the Stingrays... man.

Show some fucking respect and common sense, please. Stingrays instinctively and defensively shoot their barbs when they suddenly feel something big swimming directly over them while they're buried in the sand.

I'm sure fretster didn't intend any disrespect for Irwin or the stingray...he was expressing his bemusement that Steve wasn't actually handling the ray at the time of the attack. Given the rarity of the occurrence, surely Steve wasn't the first big thing to swim directly over a ray buried in the sand, and as such it IS unusual that this happened. What's with the hostility?

Fretster's comments are obviously snarky, disrepectful, and dripping with failed sarcasm. He also earlier made the very incorrect assertion that Irwin's show was cancelled and wouldn't have fan support because of the crocodile-feeding incident while holding his son. Discussion forums all over the internet have been plagued with disrepectful trolls presuming Irwin had it coming, and it's pretty tasteless.

One doesn't have to be a fan (I've never been a huge one, actually, David Attenborough's more my cup of tea) to show a little respect and not spout off nonsense without knowing the facts.

Show some fucking respect and common sense, please.

Boy if only you took your own advice :rolleyes:

Fretster's comments are obviously snarky, disrepectful, and dripping with failed sarcasm

And your comment from this thread and in the Katrina thread has gotten you banned for a week.

I will repeat for those that have forgotten, we do not tolerate personal attacks, period! If you need a refresher here are the rules.

Please continue on with the discussion and let's make sure we keep personal attacks out of a thread that is here for us to show respect and sympathy for this loss.