LCVG

HDTV OTA Tuner help

Calvin

Basicially,with my local Cox Cable not offering either Fox or CBS in HD,I need to do something so I can get my local networks OTA.(It wasn't a problem because the issue was supposed to have been resolved months ago,but it looks like nothing will be done anytime soon)

I really don't want to spend over $100 total because we will most likely be upgrading next year around tax time to a HDTV with a built-in tuner. I've done some searching & some people have suggested the old Voom boxes,but I've also been reading about some problems with those...

Anyways,any ideas,tips,whatever will be appreciated.

I think he meant in terms of cheap tuner recommendations. I bought one of the Voom receivers off of Ebay for about $75 with a Silver Sensor included. Works great. Just make sure you get one with an access card and one that wasn't canceled before being disconnected. You should be able to ask the seller if it's working for OTA. Mine works great.

You can keep an eye out for compgeeks to get this back in stock. It's been a while. I've got one.

LST-3510A

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LST-3510A-R&sourceid=qIqiRP52vERHAknDZHga&cm_ven=CJ&cm_pla=0038388580&cm_ite=LST-3510A-R

Someone was mass selling them on ebay a while back for $140+$10 shipping a few months ago.

QAM

OTA

upscaling DVD (sucky IMO, I'm a Faroudja snob)

Don't see any deals on them right now, though.

An unactivated VOOM box is a good choice if you can snag one on ebay cheap.

I remember reading at AVSforum a while back about some inexpensive HDTV tuners that were being sold by Walmart a year or so ago.

I'll see if I can find anything about them.

I was lucky, I picked up a Samsung OTA tuner a few years ago on clearance at Best Buy for $79 bucks and have it hooked up via Firewire to my PC for .ts HDTV recording.

Glen

How well does the HDTV content stream over your network?

Glen

No problems at all on a 100Mb wired network. I only have the pc and the 360, and occasionally a wireless laptop, so I'm hardly pushing the limits. I should have a 2nd 360 running late next month, bump this thread or send me a pm and I'll let you know if it causes any problems.

Baiter,

You have me intrigued, gimme more info :) Mainly, I take it you can use the record feature of MCE as well as live TV and have it work nicely over the 360?

EDIT:I noticed one of the user reviews mentioned having to use a powered USB hub to connect this to his PC as the built-in port didn't seem to supply enough power to the tuner. Did you run into this issue as well?

Baiter,

You have me intrigued, gimme more info :) Mainly, I take it you can use the record feature of MCE as well as live TV and have it work nicely over the 360?

EDIT:I noticed one of the user reviews mentioned having to use a powered USB hub to connect this to his PC as the built-in port didn't seem to supply enough power to the tuner. Did you run into this issue as well?

I haven't had any problems w/ the devices other then reception issues, which I don't know if they're related to the devices or my antenna being in the attic. I don't have any other OTA tuners to make a comparison.

The extender functionality on the 360 gives you a nearly identical interface as your mce pc. http://www.thegreenbutton.com has by far the most information on mce and it's functions.