LCVG

My Home Theatre Thoughts

GunnerX

I recently purchased a new Entertainment Unit to hold my HT Equipment. The old one I have has started to lean quite scarily and the only thing holding it upright are the glass doors. I think I way overloaded that little unit. The replacement unit consists of 2 towers with a bridge that has a shelf that hangs down in the middle.

These things were monsters as each tower is a good 100lbs and the bridge about 50lbs. Once I got the units put together minus the doors, I promptly took apart the old HT and removed each component. I then thought up the best way to arrange each component. After vacuuming all the accumulated dust behind and removing all the wires, I proceeded to put back the system together in their new home while removing components that I no longer use.

When I was done, I was left staring blankly at the back of my Denon Receiver. The component inputs (2) and output (1) were all taken. Two optical ins and one coax (Kimber Kable D60 from DVD Player) were taken. My eyes then went to the sea of red, white and yellow at the far left. They were all empty. They used to be filled with wires but now, it's barren. Is this a sign of the future? Will these inputs be downgraded to 2 or 3 or totally disappear even in future Receivers?

This is the list of what my system used to have:

2 DVD Players, 2 VCRs, Dual Tape Deck, LD Player, 5 Disc CD Player, 2 Xboxes and Satellite.

Now, this is what I have:

DVD Player, Satellite HD PVR and the Xbox 360.

Although I don't really need the DVD Player anymore since I can use the X360, it's nice to have a dedicated DVD Player that's a good quality (Old Toshiba SD5109). There's no longer a need for a VCR since all shows that my wife and I watch are all programmed to record on the HD PVR.

Now, everything is even more simple with HDMI/DVI connections. So what will the future Receivers look like? And when would be a good time to upgrade?

When I was done, I was left staring blankly at the back of my Denon Receiver. The component inputs (2) and output (1) were all taken. Two optical ins and one coax (Kimber Kable D60 from DVD Player) were taken. My eyes then went to the sea of red, white and yellow at the far left. They were all empty. They used to be filled with wires but now, it's barren. Is this a sign of the future? Will these inputs be downgraded to 2 or 3 or totally disappear even in future Receivers?

Maybe. Most folks still have a lot of non-HD/component cable stuff hooked up. In fact, not many people have HDTVs. There's plenty of people with a speaker system but no HDTV still.

I'm down to a VCR & composite/s-videi from my Joytech game switch (now THAT has a lot of composite/s-video stuff plugged in). The Wii is only going to have DPLII though, so that will still have composite audio connectors.

It'll be a while. Might see it happen on higher end recievers.

Maybe. Most folks still have a lot of non-HD/component cable stuff hooked up. In fact, not many people have HDTVs. There's plenty of people with a speaker system but no HDTV still.

I'm down to a VCR & composite/s-videi from my Joytech game switch (now THAT has a lot of composite/s-video stuff plugged in). The Wii is only going to have DPLII though, so that will still have composite audio connectors.

It'll be a while. Might see it happen on higher end recievers.

Most people might not have HDTVs but that seems to be changing really fast. Almost all my friends have HDTVs now. Every place I go, they're selling HDTVs much cheaper than they used to be. Recently I saw the ACER 37" LCD HDTV that supports 1080P for $1600 CAD. That's cheap.

I don't think they will totally remove the composite/s-video inputs but I think those will take a backstage to component/hdmi/dvi inputs. One or two composite/s-video inputs should be enough for most receivers.

I still keep saying that most people don't own HDTVs but I really wonder what percentage do have HDTVs. I think the rate has gone up by quite a bit.

I still keep saying that most people don't own HDTVs but I really wonder what percentage do have HDTVs. I think the rate has gone up by quite a bit.

I think that really depends on demographics. "Most people" includes everyone out there, in which case that stat is probably true. More than half of my friends however, do have HDTVs, which is the difference between "most people" and young, tech-aware professionals with a reasonable amount of disposable income.

I'm still surprised that my SXRD only has 2 component inputs though-I'd have thought there'd be at least 3...

I don't know...most of the time I think that these engineers are just trying to cram as much shit in to a receiver as possible. like look at the top of the line Denon:

AVR5805CI_Large_Back_rdax_1200x808.jpg

Who the hell as 4 vcrs now days? no scratch that, who has 1 working VCR hooked up to their TV now days? And honestly, if you're willing to spend 7K on a receiver do you really think that you are going to have a DVD player hooked up via composite?!? no fucking way! Why have so much shit there ?

The one trend that I see becoming big in the next couple of years is a built in scaler that upgrades everything to HD and then outputs it to a single HDMI output. I absolutely LOVE that feature because it saves me a lot of time and bucks on cables when hooking up my projector.

Well I'm an engineer... Trust me, it's not the engineers... It's the biz dev dudes/marketing etc... If I got my way, they would have a glory hole :tu

But I agree, all composite inputs are unused on my 2802... And yes, anybody with VCRs don't own receivers period. Unless you go back in time to 1995.

I don't know...most of the time I think that these engineers are just trying to cram as much shit in to a receiver as possible. like look at the top of the line Denon:

http://usa.denon.com/AVR5805CI_Large_Back_rdax_1200x808.jpg

Who the hell as 4 vcrs now days? no scratch that, who has 1 working VCR hooked up to their TV now days? And honestly, if you're willing to spend 7K on a receiver do you really think that you are going to have a DVD player hooked up via composite?!? no fucking way! Why have so much shit there ?

The one trend that I see becoming big in the next couple of years is a built in scaler that upgrades everything to HD and then outputs it to a single HDMI output. I absolutely LOVE that feature because it saves me a lot of time and bucks on cables when hooking up my projector.

The Denon 2807 already has this feature, but nobody has been able to tell me what deinterlacer it has...

I agree that all those composite inputs are more for marketing purposes. Make it look like the unit does a lot more and charge more money. I would prefer to have at MOST 3 analog inputs that are generically labelled. This would leave a lot more room to scatter the other inputs instead of grouping them together so tightly. It gets hard trying to install and remove wires since they're basically side by side.

I would rather have the extra cost in adding those useless components put towards better materials or making the receivers themselves cheaper.