LCVG

Your Superbowl predictions

Robot Monkey

Umm... can someone please tell me how in the hell four of you expect the Eagles to get out of their own division, let alone win the NFC championship and get to the Super Bowl?

Seahawks 24

Indy 21

I think the Colts will finally break through this year. Both they and Seattle have softer divisions than just about everyone else. That should translate to 5 or 6 wins for each team pretty easily.

Glen

Umm... can someone please tell me how in the hell four of you expect the Eagles to get out of their own division, let alone win the NFC championship and get to the Super Bowl?

Well, here is an excerpt from ESPN Pages 2's The Sports's Guy that I think effectivly sums up the NFC East.

To everyone who keeps pushing the whole "there's no division tougher than the NFC East" crap. Dallas is stuck with Drew Bledsoe for another season (to the point that the phrases "QB controversy" and "Tony Romo" came into play last month), as well as mediocre running backs and the inevitable T.O.-Parcells / Vanderjagt-Parcells soap operas. The Skins went 0-4 in the preseason and looked like they were filming scenes for "The Replacements 2." Everyone seems to forget that (A) the Giants completely rolled over and quit on their coach at home in the playoffs last season; (B) Eli had the full-fledged Manning Face from Halloween through the New Year; and © their big free agent move was LaVar Arrington (who's good for 6-7 games this season). I don't get it. What's so great about the NFC East?

Meanwhile, everyone's counting out the Eagles, who absolutely REEK of Ewing Theory potential after T.O.'s departure and everyone acting like they were a 6-10 team last season, when the reality was this: Their defense was decimated by injuries; they lost McNabb in Week 7 and Westbrook in Week 8; and the T.O soap opera and residual bitterness from the Pats' Super Bowl destroyed what was left of their season. Well, who has an easier schedule -- @Hou, NYG, @SF, GB, DAL, @NO -- over the first six weeks? With the exception of Dallas and Chicago, who has a better defense in the NFC? Why is everyone so willing to count out a team with a quality coach that's loaded on the offensive/defensive lines? Couldn't they do a reasonable impression of the 2005 Bears, only with a much better QB? I love the Eagles this season. More on this later.

Here's the Linky

No WR's or RB's either.

Glen

On the Iggles?? Unless I missed some injury news, don't they still have Donte Stallworth and Reggie Brown at WR and Brian Westbrook at RB? Seems like a pretty decent group to me.

If Eli has gotten better (HUGE if) then I think the Giants are the best team in the NFC East, but they also have the toughest schedule in the division, if not the entire league. That stuff matters, especially since the Eagles have one of the easiest. I think the Eagles will finish on top of the NFC East for that reason, but I don't see them going to the Super Bowl.

If the Eagles are banking on players like Reggie Brown and Todd Pinkston.... they're in a world of hurt.

I'm still surprised that the Redskins haven't been mentioned considering how much they added in the offseason as well.

The NFC East is one of the two, if not the best, divisions in football. I can't see any team making it out of that meat grinder and going to the Super Bowl.

Glen