LCVG

NHL 2K7 pricing discussion

foogledricks

NHL 2K7

Xbox 360: $59

Xbox: $19

This really really bothers me. Is the 360 version better in any way besides achievements and better graphics? That $19 pricetag just makes the $60 one seem even more expensive. And makes me think that sports games don't deserve that price point. I think if I get this it will be through Gamefly for two months... since that is how long our leagues here might last for.

NHL 2K7

Xbox 360: $59

Xbox: $19

This really really bothers me. Is the 360 version better in any way besides achievements and better graphics? That $19 pricetag just makes the $60 one seem even more expensive. And makes me think that sports games don't deserve that price point. I think if I get this it will be through Gamefly for two months... since that is how long our leagues here might last for.

This is confirmed? If that is the case then there is no way I'd be buying at that price.And I feel it's only gonna get worse with the PS3 coming...

I'm unsure why all of this pricing angst is focused solely on NHL2K7 when EA is selling NHL 07 for the same price as 2K7 on the 360, but then have the temerity to price their Xbox/PS2 offering $10 higher than 2K7.

With Take Two, I imagine the angst is over how 'consumer friendly' on sports they've tried to make themselves out to be but haven't carried over that friendliness to the 360.

With Take Two, I imagine the angst is over how 'consumer friendly' on sports they've tried to make themselves out to be but haven't carried over that friendliness to the 360.

I guess I don't follow. Their competitor is doing the same thing plus an additional $10 for "current gen" consoles. I just don't see why it's specific to 2K/Take 2. I think it's appropriate to charge less for the current gen console as it's getting phased out and, in both cases, has feature disparity with the next gen titles.

I guess I don't follow. Their competitor is doing the same thing plus an additional $10 for "current gen" consoles. I just don't see why it's specific to 2K/Take 2. I think it's appropriate to charge less for the current gen console as it's getting phased out and, in both cases, has feature disparity with the next gen titles.

It is a perfect storm of things that makes me point to NHL 2K7 with my angst.

1. I think next-gen games are too expensive in general. $60 is too much, and I am buying few games this generation because of it.
  2. I've always thought sports games in particular are worth less, yet they sell for the same. I think sports games should be $40, or 1/3 cheaper than a game like Oblivion.
  3. The 2K series is known for being cheaper now, so sticker shock on their game is proportionally worse than for EAs games.
  4. Hockey games are so simple relatively speaking. For this reason, I have a hard time seeing any significant differences between iterations. It's just difficult to feel I am getting value for my money if I have a recent version.
  5. The huge difference in price between the Xbox version and the 360 version draws attention to how expensive $60 is.

All of that adds up to this thought and this question: Does anyone still have NHL2K5 for Xbox and want to start a league instead of buying this new game? It will be cheaper, AND JUST AS FUN!

I know it won't happen. There won't be enough people here to start a league using a two year old game. If there were, I might opt to do that. As it is though, if enough people get this game, I will rent it to participate in a league.

This is more a general pricing question for both NHL2K7 and NHL07. After having played the demos I think I have decided to go with NHL07. When I found out that both are going to be at the standard 360 price I realized I could wait a little while.

I was hoping that Fry's would advertise one of them at least at $49 in their Sunday ad, but no such luck. Anyone happen to see a Fry's ad that does have the game(s) listed?

My biggest problem is again the price difference between the Xbox and the 360 version. I feel the 360 version of NHL 2K7 should be $10 less as this is the precedent that 2K sports themselves set. As such (and as already mentioned) it makes the $60 price tag feel even more expensive...

Anyway, the cheapest price I have found for NHL 07 is $59 at Target with a $10 gift card at purchase. This is "resonable" for the title and I'll buy it at that price *but* it is limited to certain Target stores only and a limited number of giftcards per store as well so YMMV (significantly)...

check CAG or other sites for the latest list.

*but* it is limited to certain Target stores only and a limited number of giftcards per store as well so YMMV (significantly)...

The only limit on giftcards Target has is determined by how many items the store gets. So pretty much you get the free giftcard as long as supplies last. As for being limited to certain stores, that only happens when a store doesn't receive the game.

Haven't bought a sports game since the 2K5 series and the football, hockey, basketball, and baseball games I currently own are perfectly serviceable. I played NFL 2K5 more in the past 3 weeks than I have since I bought it.

NHL 2K7 would have been a purchase if it was cheaper on the XBox 360. The minigames and extras are very tempting, but not tempting enough to blow $59, especially when it'll be worth less than $10 on eBay within a year. The EA offering sounds interesting with the utilization of the right stick, but I'll have to try it to be convinced.

Considering how little you guys see me online lately, it's probably even less of a justification to buy one of the new games.

Don't ask, sore subject.

Okay, you asked. I called my friendly neighborhood EB Games and Gamestop.

"Do you have NHL2K7 for the Xbox 360?"

"Did you preorder a copy?"

"No."

"Ohhhh... sorry, we only got enough copies in for our preorders."

Best Buy and Target didn't have it out. I'll be dipped in shit and skewered on a spit before I'll preorder something that isn't somehow a limited commodity.