LCVG

2006 NFL Season

Robot Monkey

Well, we're almost at the end of week one. I hope Lito Shepard heals up, but it looks like he won't be ready to throw the usual beating on li'l Eli Manning.

Cracked.com has its Week 1 rundown here. A sample:

Colts 26, Giants 21

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. ? Peyton Manning got the better of his little brother Eli in the first ever meeting of the Brothers Manning, which, despite all indications to the contrary by broadcasters, actually involved ten other men taking the field with the brothers. The elder Manning led his team to scores on five of of the first seven possessions and masterfully kept the Giants at bay to secure the win. "Of course Peyton played well," shrugged Colts head coach Tony Dungy, "it's not the playoffs yet."

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I was heartened by the Giants' performance yesterday...they moved the ball well on offense, Eli looked a little shaky but nothing like the Mr. Misfire that he morphed into at the end of last season, and defensively they played okay but gave up way too many third-down conversions. Say what you want about Peyton in the playoffs but the Colts are one of the league's best and the Giants were right with them the entire game. They killed themselves with penalties (including a horrible offensive PI call late that doomed their final drive) and they didn't hang onto a few sure interceptions, but overall I thought they played pretty well.

Somehow they have to find a way to win one of the next two though (at Philly or at Seattle)...they can't afford to start out 0-3.

[Excuse mode]

There are two reasons the Colts lost to the Steelers last year in the Playoffs.

1. The obvious one...Mike Vanderjagt

2. Dungy has still not learned that sitting your starters at then end of the season is B-A-D...bad. If you rewatch that game, Manning and company finally shook the rust off, after not playing for nearly a month, in the 2nd Half. They had the Steelers back peadling and doing things they never do. The Bettis fumble was the clincher. Manning then stormed down the field, got in rage for ol' reliable...and the motherfucker shanks it.

[/excuse mode]

Colts are the best team in the NFL...period. The Giants proved last night that their Front 7 is one of the best in the league. They also proved that their secondary has bricks for hands.

-Dean-

Beating Detroit 9-6 can't give your team much confidence though.

Colts are the best team in the NFL...period.

The Colts don't have a running game to save their butts and gave up 21 points to boot. I think it's quite questionable whether they are the best team in the NFL.

Not many teams are going to run against the Giants...notice my comment on the quality of their Front 7. Addai will be the full time back by mid-season. He will fit into that offense nicely. The Giants are not some chumps on offense either. L:ast time I checked, they had some pretty damn good weapons and are very tough at home. It was a big win for the Colts last night.

-Dean-

The fact that Peyton actually won a (psuedo) big game leads me to think that this might actually be the year of the Colt. Though, the Colts didn't look unbeatable.

(alllllthough, what happens if the ref didn't bonehead that pass interference call? 0-1 Colts? *shrug* Doesn't matter much.)

The Texans, who drafted Williams because, as Casserly et al. put it, "We need to beat the Colts," layed an egg yesterday. Good job with that pick.

The Packers have a lot of things to work on. It was nice to see Ahman Green put together a 100 yard game... even though it was garbage time.

Favre on the other hand seems to just think he can make some insane throws when he's behind.

The Bears did look good though. They're defense is very sharp and their offense looked like it could capitalize on other teams mistakes.

Glen

My Bucs really stunk up the place. In their 31 seasons of play they have never had a good offensive line. They hired Bill Muir in 2002, who was supposed to be this offensive line coach guru, yet they still suck on the o-line. I like Simms, but when you have to run for your life or when as soon as you throw the ball there is someone in his face, so yesterday's game was not all his fault. Oh well, at least the stinkin' Panthers lost.

The Texans, who drafted Williams because, as Casserly et al. put it, "We need to beat the Colts," layed an egg yesterday. Good job with that pick.

One comment I heard last week on ESPN radio went something like:

"Houston picking Williams as their pick was fine, but he shouldn't have been #1. They should of traded down, gotten their guy, and been able to fill some more holes, that of which they have plenty of. "

I totally agree.

"Houston picking Williams as their pick was fine, but he shouldn't have been #1. They should of traded down, gotten their guy, and been able to fill some more holes, that of which they have plenty of. "

I totally agree.

They couldn't get anyone to trade down. IF they wanted to they could have but wasn't willing to take it up the butt in terms of a trade.

I agree with Dean that the Patriots made out like a bandit. Trading for a WR and giving up a first round pick is not a good plan. Just ask Jerry Jones how he felt about Joey Galloway :)

In all fairness to him, he is a recovering alcoholic. I do give them credit for giving him a chance.

Um... Jordan? You might want to word your post a little differently... I'm not sure what you're going for there, but it could definately come off as a racial slur.

Glen

Jesus Christ! When has been being "spooked," as in scared, come off as a racial slur?! If we're that touchy around here...well....see ya!