LCVG

Need PC rig for Halo-PC...what to look for?

Subhuman

Hi all,

Picked up Halo-PC but it runs pretty poor on my PC. This is the first PC gaming I've ever tried...so I'm sure the PC is ill suited to it. It is a $599 special from Dell. I think it is a 1.2p with 256k of ram and some POS video card. Whenever Halo first starts I get a warning that tells me the video card is under spec and do I..

a)want to continue anyway(which I pick)

b)run in *safe* mode.

I probably won't spend much time with this in 1 player mode...but if I can get the internet gaming to work a little better(right now, it usually runs like Wolfenstein on Xbox with a barely average connection) I might find myself spending some time with it..:)

What should I be looking for in a *gaming* PC rig? Can I get something close to a XBOX Lan multiplayer experience for $1000? How about $1500,2000 and 2500? Ideally, I'd like to use my Sanyo 21N FPTV for a monitor...so if the PC's video card had a standard component video output that would be a bonus.

As always, thanks for all advice!

TV- the Subhuman

Thanks for the quick feedback guys,

So something like these should work OK?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=51145

I really don't have the time/skills to try to build a PC from scratch, I would just like to plug something in...load my software, calibrate the joypad and settle back for some halo..:)

TV

Ok, I just tried another (halo)game on the net. I set all the video settings to lowest/off. The PC is a p1.8 with 128ram and pos video card. It was unplayable...abotu every 5 seconds I'd get the blicking *cat-5 unplugged* icon in the lower right corner(tried 3 different rooms). I never had much trouble with my cable modem before...xbl and socom seem to work well enough. What would be the most likely cause of the PC *seeing* a drop out from the cable modem? Would not having enough ram/processing power/good enough video card come into play here? I just don't want to spend $1000 and find out it isn't much better because of some lack of cable modem performance I might not be able to do much about.

Thanks all, and Gig...yeah, I might have to try that.

TV

1) Halo PC seems to run below expectations on ANY machine.

2) There is no right choice. But often these days $750 can get you 85-90% of the performance of $1500. Personally, I like that route...lets me save a LOT more money for the next upgrade...upgrade twice as often for the same price! But some will want raw power.

My most recent PC was about $750 and included a P4 2.6ghz with hyper-threading and 800mhz FSB, XP Home, and a Radeon 9800.

Yes, I went the Dell route even though I've built all my other PCs by hand for the last 8 years. I couldn't have bought the parts for this PC for less than $1000 (at the time), and that probably wouldn't even include the OS. No, my PC isn't as tweakable. It's only got 3 external bays. But it's a hell of a lotta bang for the buck.