LCVG

Nintendo Wii Discussion PartVII - Pre-Launch Information, Preorders, Etc.

MrJames

*******ADMIN NOTE*********

It's time to move forward with a new Revolution thread given the size of the last one. You can read the previous threads here:

Revolution Thread Part I

Revolution Thread Part II

Revolution Thread Part III

Nintendo Wii Thread Part IV

Nintendo Wii Thread Part V

Nintendo Wii Thread Part VI

Feel free to continue the discussion here.

===============================================

Preorders are starting...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009VXBAQ/ref=nosim/gamingageforu-20

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things are disappointing me about this launch. Only one controller and the price of an extra controller. I think $250 w/ Wii Sports is a bit high without an extra controller. I may just buy Zelda on the Cube and ask for a Wii for X-mas. The Wii will be more $450 purchase with an extra controller, memory card, and two games. Hopefully component cables are included with the console are the price goes up even more. That is about $100 more than I was planning on especially with Christmas presents to buy for the family.

-Dean-

I just placed my preorder on Amazon. We'll see if they honor it. I'm hoping they do because that's one less thing to worry about this holiday season. :tu

EDIT: Another thing I just realized is that I took the entire week of Thanksgiving off this year. I asked for the time off a week or two ago, just because I figured it would be nice to take some time off around the holiday. Now that we know the Wii is coming out that week, I foresee spending almost all my free time playing through Twilight Princess. What a way to spend your time off, eh? :)

Another thing I just realized is that I took the entire week of Thanksgiving off this year. I asked for the time off a week or two ago, just because I figured it would be nice to take some time off around the holiday. Now, that we know the Wii is coming out that week, I foresee spending almost all my free time playing through Twilight Princess. What a way to spend your time off, eh?

Speaking from experience, it's a great way to spend your time off! I take Thanksgiving week off almost every year and just relax around the house. I end up spending nearly all of that time gaming. It was great last year with the 360 launch.

My EB started taking preoders today and I just got back from putting my $50 bucks down. I'm number one on the list.:D

Yea but we all know from the xbox360 launch, your being at the number one spot on a pre order list is about as good a shiting in a box and slapping a guarantee on it.

EDIT: Jeff I guess I know how I will be spending my lunch hour that week.....

I placed my preorder at Amazon but I'm not confident that it will be honored. I figured since I'm saving on tax I went for the one day shipping.

Edit to add: When I check that link now, there is no option to order. You can only request an email alert when it becomes available. Hmmmm...

Yea but we all know from the xbox360 launch, your being at the number one spot on a pre order list is about as good a shiting in a box and slapping a guarantee on it.

Thankfully Nintendo is in a far better position shipment wise than Microsoft was at the Xbox360 launch so I'm not worried. Recent reports put Nintendo shipments in the 4 million range for launch which should serve a good bit of demand and makes the comparisons to the 360 launch/production issues not very apt IMO.

I'd also wager Nintendo will have a far easier time getting more product out there considering the tech involved. Not to mention that EB/Gamestop as a company really does not want a repeat of the Xbox 360 situation and at least in my area, have been really hesitant to finally start taking preorders (and I can tell you that the EB I frequent is taking them in very limited amounts from what the manager conveyed to me).

Regardless, I just want the damn thing and I'm not willing to play the 10 hour Walmart waiting game like I did with the Xbox 360 again. That is something I can't see myself doing for any console in the future and I'd prefer to just have my preorder in and ready to go.

In other words, no winging it for me.;)

In my experience, the best way to secure a pre-order console is to pre-pay in full, if possible. The stores in my area tend to give preferential treatment to those customers who have already paid in full and are just stopping in for a pickup on launch day. I'm aware that there are budgetary concerns that preclude some from doing so, but if you can do it, this would be the way to go.

In my experience, the best way to secure a pre-order console is to pre-pay in full, if possible. The stores in my area tend to give preferential treatment to those customers who have already paid in full and are just stopping in for a pickup on launch day. I'm aware that there are budgetary concerns that preclude some from doing so, but if you can do it, this would be the way to go.
And its realities like this that make me not want to A) preorder anything ever B) Try to acquire a console at launch. The only console I've gotten at launch was the original Xbox, and that was actually a gift from my wife and JTello... god rest his soul.

And its realities like this that make me not want to A) preorder anything ever B) Try to require a console at launch. The only console I've gotten at launch was the original Xbox, and that was actually a gift from my wife and JTello... god rest his sole.

I'm lucky in that I have flexible work hours, so lining up outside of a B&M retailer is something I would undertake (as I have in the past, most recently with the PS2 and Gamecube) only if I have a realistic chance of securing one. As I'm older with changes in priorities and needs, if securing a PS3 means lining up the day before, I'm going to pass. Of course, with a Gamestop and EB within two miles of my home, I'm hoping to bypass the waiting line.

Anyone following the pissing contest between joystiq and pennyarcade on the topic of Nintendo profits on Wii units? Prior to reading any of that, I've been sort of bothered by Nintendo's boastings of profit. Here's why.

We have been speculating for so long about the price point of the Wii. I have heard $149-$300 with people claiming various buy-in threshholds depending on the price (i.e. $199 is a nobrainer, $250 I'm a fence-sitter).

I would have preferred the system come in at $199. And I get the sense, based on the Wii sports pack-in, and the Wii-hardware-is-profitable statements, that they could have reasonably met that price point. So it rubs me the wrong way that they're boasting about their profit pricepoint while people like me are fence-sitting because of that very pricepoint.

Fine. Price the product the way you want of course. It will be successful at that price point, and it leaves lots of room for price reductions in the future. In the long run it could actually be a very smart move in fact. But don't come in on the higher end of price while bad-mouthing the competion about their inflated prices and then boast about the profits you'll make.

Here's the somewhat related back and forth between Penny and Joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/15/penny-arcade-responds-to-our-hideous-editorial-misses-the-poi/

Haven't had to pre-order a console in awhile, so would it be against my interest to reserve on at a mall located EB Games if Im willing to go into a store at midnight on launch day to pick it up?

Edit: Forgot to say that called a couple of EB Games and Gamestops here and no pre-orders yet. I know Romier is like Jesus though when he walks in his store so I understand him being #1.

I would have preferred the system come in at $199. And I get the sense, based on the Wii sports pack-in, and the Wii-hardware-is-profitable statements, that they could have reasonably met that price point. So it rubs me the wrong way that they're boasting about their profit pricepoint while people like me are fence-sitting because of that very pricepoint.

Let me ask you this: If Nintendo sold the system at $199.99 without a game and was still making a profit on it, would it still rub you the wrong way?