LCVG

Excite Truck

Starhawk

Dude, that looks pretty fucking sweet. As much as I'd like to see a Wii version of Mario Kart, I think this will serve as a suitable substitute in the meantime. I love fun arcade racing games more than the more realistic simulator ones, so this will probably be right up my alley.

It’s great. It finally does away with the thought of looking like an idiot when you’re so engrossed in a racing game that you physically start turning the pad as if it were going to have any affect on the car’s motion……. Only finally it really WILL affect the car’s motion. We'll still look like idiots playing, but at least it won’t be without purpose.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some of the first Excite Truck reviews are up

GameInformer

Score: 7/8

They say it's alot of fun, but lacks depth. Also it's easy to blow through most of the game in a short period of time.

Gamespot

Score: 6.8

The Good: Good sense of speed; hectic gameplay makes you feel just shy of losing control of the truck.

The Bad: Not enough here to keep you interested for long; should have been at least a four-player game, if not online.

I've actually been very eager to play Excite Truck since I first saw it at E3, and the reviews haven't put me off much. At the very least, it looks like another fun multiplayer game I can try out with my friends. Beside, I'm more likely to play this solo than online, so if that particular aspect of the game is well done, I should be more than happy with it.

• 1 month later...

I received Excite Truck a few days ago for Christmas, and I've had a chance to really get into the game now. Since this one seems to have slipped through the cracks around here, I figured I'd post some initial impressions.

I think it's fair to say that this is one of those games that requires some time to come to grips with the controls. At first I had a very difficult time controlling my vehicle by tilting the controller. The game doesn't excatly trot along at a leisurely pace. Hence, I spent much of my time during the first few races running off the road or crashing into trees. It sort of felt like I was barely in control of what was happening on screen, and it took a while to figure out how much movement on my part was necessary to make certain turns and how the trucks would respond.

Once I figured that out though, the game really started to come together for me. I'm now ready to take on the Platinum Cup and I feel like I've come a long way. Still, I have to admit that I do sort of feel like a 'tard playing this. :) Not to say that I mind it necessarily. I actually get a hoot out of tilting my the controller on its side to turn. I'm just so used to the fact that tilting the controller has never helped you in the past that I almost feel like I'm regressing into some noobie gamer who doesn't realize that it doesn't help at all.

Oddly enough, when Rob B was over at my place the other day trying it out, he said he had a difficult time not pressing down on the cross pad in order to turn. I guess the hardcore gamers of the world need to rethink our strategy a little with games like this.

• 5 months later...

Picked up Excite Truck over the weekend. I'm having some good fun with it but I feel like they short-changed the game from being truly classic.

I don't like that the terrain deformations reset after each lap. What really would have been cool would have been if the deformations were permanent once triggered and that, each lap, the triggers continue to deform the terrain in different ways.

I wish they would have attempted some sort of story and given the AI drivers some personality. Why not have the player choose to become a member of a racing team, competing against other racing teams with different strengths and weaknesses? How about give the drivers some personality, let them keep grudges, go for revenge, etc.

The emphasis of the races on star collecting rather than racing takes away from the thrill of racing. Collecting the stars should be for earning cash or some other currency for upgrades, unlocking stuff, etc. Speaking of which, there aren't any upgrades and I, as yet, can't figure out any rhyme or reason for when new trucks are unlocked.

They also could and should have organized the races better - put them in some sort of meaningful groups rather than the incredibly generic sets they have. Also, some of the tracks seem to share the same track segments. I noticed, particularly in the Scotland tracks, the same stretch of bog-turn-drawbridge-jump on several different races.

Bitches aside, I really like the fast paced arcade action. The controls have taken some getting used to. I always find myself turning the Wiimote horizontally rather than vertically. Unfortunately, this works just enough that I don't always notice it and wonder why my truck is turning so sluggishly. :o

I completely agree with all of your points. And that goes to show you how great this game could be because I still really enjoy the it even with our gripes.

I also thought it needed simultaneous 2-4 player with the computer controlled trucks.

I completely agree with all of your points. And that goes to show you how great this game could be because I still really enjoy the it even with our gripes.

I also thought it needed simultaneous 2-4 player with the computer controlled trucks.

Yeah, it's a ton of fun. Internet play with this would have been a blast too.

Todd;

I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying this game. With that, I do have to take issue with some of your complaints.

First of all, I hate the idea of incorporating a story mode with a game like this. The way I see it, it's not necessary. I don't need an excuse to race in a racing game, just like I wouldn't need an excuse to play Tetris All I need to know is that I'm a guy in a race car (or truck in this instance) and I'm trying to be the first one to cross that finish line.

Also, I'm glad that they didn't incorporate some sort of upgrade system to the game. As far as I'm concerned, this is meant to be nothing more than a pure arcade racer where simplicity reigns over realism. As long as I get a good selection of vehicles with differing abilities, I'm perfectly happy.

Also, I liked how you could select which race tracks you could play once you opened a cup. If one was giving you a hard time, you could take a break from it and try a different one. As for the courses themselves, the developer created about six or so sandbox-style levels and plotted the racecourses along various routes on those levels. That's why you're seeing some areas repeated on different courses. In some instances, you may notice that you're actually traveling in the opposite direction you were in a previous race.

As for the acquisition of stars, I think it's one of the more interesting facets of the game and doesn't take away from the racing at all. Have you tried to earn an S ranking on any of the levels yet? It's not as easy as you might think and winning races for that all-important 50-star bonus becomes extremely important. I suggest you give it a shot and report back to me. :)

Aside from that, I do like the idea of terrain morphs staying in place and building on top of each other. It reminds of Wave Race: Blue Storm where the course changed after each lap. Maybe they could incorporate more ideas like that into a sequel.

I dont think I'd necessarily want a story mode, but some personality for the racers would be cool. Similar to F-Zero or even Wave Race: Blue Storm.

If they were to use an upgrade system, I'd like it to be along the lines of Super Off Road. :)

Hey Jeff,

I think they could keep the easy-pick-up-and-play arcade style with some sort of story, even if the story only amounts to an invented league or tournament.

I like the star collecting but I guess I don't like it as the main goal. I do like being able to cherry-pick the circuit order as you mentioned but there's no reason they couldn't keep that freedom in a tourney or league setting.

I've got some S-ratings but I still have many to go (trying to finish off the platinum races currently). I'm hoping the better trucks I've unlocked will make getting some S ratings a bit easier.