LCVG

Favorite 4 games ever

GreenMonkey

I've been thinking we need some extra topics to chat about over here, like in the offtopic forum. So much of the discussion revolves around the next-gen systems.

What are your 4 Favorite games ever? Think hard and don't be politically correct.

I picked 4 because people post top-10 lists and that just plain gets excessive to read. I think 4 is just enough to still make the topic not too annoyingly long. I was going to do 3 but I had mercy.

In the spirit of reducing the length, let's go with 1 sentence that explains why you like the game so much.

I'll start.

1 - Dragon Warrior (Quest) IV (NES) - I love the individual chapters, which follow each character's individual story, creating the best developed characters in a NES-era RPG.

2 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (Win98/XP) - Incredibly long strategic RPG with a sense of humor and near infinite replay value.

3 - Master of Magic (DOS) - Civilization with strategic combat and magic spells.

(had to think long and hard here)

4 - Devil May Cry (PS2) - Revitalized the action/adventure genre for me, I gave up on them when they moved to 3D.

Other candidates for the #4 slot were Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, D&D Tower of Doom, Tekken Tag, and Secret of Mana. But most are only truly excellent when being played multiplayer with good friends IMO, and DMC1 slightly edged out Maximo.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are 4 of my favorites in no order in particular. They are pretty surprising as none are console games. Actually probably none my top 10 are xbox games

1-Space Quest 4 : Roger Wilco and The Time Rippers(PC) - Actually was the first Adventure Game I played. Game is laugh out loud funny, which made me go back and play 1-3, and 5. Hooked on adventure games since. Need to buy the collection again this week

2-Starcraft(PC): My favorite RTS game. Played vs friends every weekend for a few years. Think ive played the single player a few dozen times as well, including the Brood War expansion

3-Star Trek Judgement Rights(PC): The second and last ST:TOS adventure game- Towards the start of the game you need to beam in to a area where there are bad guys. When you beam in they shoot you on the spot, without any chance firing back. To get around it you pick up target dummies, beam in and the baddies shoot the dummies. Spock and McCoy do some funny lines about it

4-X-wing vs Tie Fighter(PC)- Not much needs to be said

Honorable Mentions:

Shen-Mue, SQ 1-3, 5, Sam and Max, KQ 1-6, Full Throttle, R6 Black Arrow

Top 4:

1. Final Fantasy. I'm not a fan of Japanese RPG's but this game kept me playing for more hours than I care to remember.

2. Tecmo Bowl. Never a dull moment. The premiere sports game for me.

3. Everquest aka Evercrack. Started the whole MMORPG generation and still going strong. Caused many of marriages to be on the rocks and really started the whole pay to play genre. I saw too many people upgrade their machine because of the next EQ expansion that was coming. I know I upgraded twice.

4. Battlefield 1942(PC). Pure fun at zero cost(other than the software)

Honorable mentions: Starcraft, Castle Wolfenstein, Quake 2, Super Mario Bros, Zelda and lastly but not least Goldeneye.

1. Chrono Trigger - Best combat system, story and characters in my favorite genre make this game an easy pick.

2. Silent Hill 2 - My second favorite genre represented by this game, which has the most moving story of any game I've ever played, as well as some of the creepiest moments in any entertainment medium.

3. Chrono Cross - Beautiful sequel to a beautiful game. The music, characters, story and combat are almost as good as the original.

4. RollerCoaster Tycoon - Spent hours upon hours building dream parks with this after I learned how to hack it. Unlimited replay value. Better than any of its sequels, including 3, even though you couldn't ride the rides.

Also rans: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy VII, Half-Life, The Sims 2 and Warcraft II.

Ultima 7 pt 1 (PC): Defines what a tight, well written and engrossing RPG should be and what developers in the genre should always endeavor to attain, though I hope they endeavor to attain it without system crippling memory managers.

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Pre-CU)(PC): Took the cookie-cutter MMORPG formula that appeals to younger gamers and tossed it out the window in favor of complex and rich combat, crafting, and community systems. R.I.P.

Mortal Kombat (Coin-Op): While Street Fighter is generally technically better in every catagory, this is the only game that was such fun for me that it forced me to go out and actually buy the coin-op machine because none of the console ports captured the gameplay sufficiently (as opposed to SF, which was faithfully replicated on 3DO).

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES): My "How about effin' Beethoven. Side 1, track 1 of 5th Symphony" selection. I must've played this game completely though no less than 10 times.

1. Half-Life 2

The pacing is perfection, action is the definition of intense, the puzzles offer a fun and necessary break from the frentic action, the story advances in such a subtle manner you might not even realize there is a story, the AI is a work of art, the environments are believable, gameplay is varied and ingenious, I could go on and on...Half-Life 2 is the best game ever made. End of list.

Except you asked for 4...

2. Half-Life

Despite the lame ending (which may actually make sense by the time the various Half-Life 2 episodes are complete) this was an amazing game. HL proved the FPS genre didn't have to feel like Doom. The perspective was finally used to personalize the story and it worked very well.

I still remember how real the subway combat versus the marines felt. It was more real than playing Halo 2 against actual people.

3. Yoshi's Island

Get over the art style. Get over the easy factor (try the unlockable levels if you want hard). This is the best platformer I have ever played. It came at a time when the 2D platformer was the en vogue genre. Everyone and his mother had a platform title on store shelves. What could Nintendo possibly do to bring something new to the genre? Play the game and you'll find out. Innovative mechanics and the most creative boss battles this side of Zelda III.

4. Tribes 2

I'm one of the few who prefered the sequel over the original. I almost put a few other (better known) games in place of Tribes. In the end, this one belongs here simply due to the amount of time I logged. There are very few games where I could claim I dominated but, in my prime, I was a god in Tribes 2.

Jet packs need to be in ALL first person shooters. They add a dynamic and speed which brings multiplayer to new levels. Imagine your flag captured by a light armored speed demon. He skiis down a small mountain at impossible speed and launches off into the sky. By the time you generate enough momentum to get airborne he is but a dot on the screen. Easily a mile away. In a fraction of a second you perform a series of complex moves to protect your team's flag: you gain altitude by launching off a small hill, twist toward the direction of the escaping thief, equip your sniper rifle, steady your upward trajectory, scope in on your moving target, lead him in anticipation of his rate of velocity, and cap him with a single headshot. It's a rush.

Man, there are just too many options here to narrow it down to 4 - but I'll give it a shot anyway. (and no, not in any particular order)

1. Super Mario 64 - Would still today put it up there as one of (if not the) best 3D platformer. Period.

2. Castlevania SotN - It actually took a bit for the game to hook me - but good golly once it did.

3. Doom / DoomII - talk about starting a trend!

4. Oblivion -Any game that I've spent 250 hours on has to be on this list.

Other seriously honorable mentions that fought for one of the top spots - Ultima III (Exodus) - started me on the whole RPG thing, Legacy of Kain series (atmosphere, characters, voice acting), Metrod Prime 1 and 2, Onimusha (because demons are cooler than zombies :) )

Mmm, top 4 lists.

1. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - Great series but the original with its unique New Orleans setting and sharp writing will always be my favorite.

2. Planescape: Torment - "What can change the nature of a man?"

3. System Shock - The funky neat depiction of cyberspace and the logs of the doomed human resistance were high points of this excellent, ahead of its time design.

4. The Secret of Monkey Island - Perhaps a shout out to all LucasArts adventure games in general, particularly Grim Fandango, but this one will always be my favorite.

Honorable Mentions - Ultima VII, World of Warcraft, Star Control II, Lemmings, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Prince of Persia, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and a cast of thousands :D.

1. Half-Life 2

The pacing is perfection' date=' action is the definition of intense, the puzzles offer a fun and necessary break from the frentic action, the story advances in such a subtle manner you might not even realize there is a story, the AI is a work of art, the environments are believable, gameplay is varied and ingenious, I could go on and on...Half-Life 2 is the best game ever made. End of list.[/quote']

Finally someone I agree with. :)

4 of my favorite games would be:

1) Half-Life 2 *duh*

2) System Shock 2

3) Wave Race 64 *if there isn't a Wave Race game with online play on the Wii I'm going to cry*

4) Ah crap I forgot about Thief II. I'll put that as my #4. :)

1. Thief II: The Metal Age - A funny, well-written, immersive adventure that requires one to think rather than smash things up.

2. Thief: The Dark Project - Same as above.

3. Ico - Great puzzles, great atmosphere, beautiful and imaginative environment, and more puzzles than combat. That's a good thing.

4. Super Mario Sunshine - 3-D platforming perfection. Totally underrated, doesn't get the love it deserves.

1. Road Rash-3DO- Combining high speed racing with

nunchucks. Can't beat it

2.Earl Weaver Baseball-Amiga - Not great graphically but the gameplay was perfection

3. Earthworm Jim-Sega Genesis- Superb graphics for the time and quite humorous.

4. Unreal Tournament-PC-Played this when it first came out on the pc until my hand cramped. Loved the guided missiles. Cant wait to see the reincarnated versions for the consoles.

In no particular order:

1. Metal Gear Solid - PSOne - It was the first game that delivered a truly cinematic experience for me.

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- PSOne - I must have played this game for 100 hours or more.

3. Earthworm Jim - Genesis - Consumed about 90% of my Genesis playing time. Bruce stole my thunder :)

4. Bionic Commando - NES - Has there ever been a better weapon/tool in a game than the bionic arm? Best NES game ever.

So hard to pick 4 (or 10 or enter your number here) above all others. Ask me every day of the week and I'd probably have a different list each day. That said, for the moment, here are mine (in no order):

1. Sid Meier's Pirates
  2. Ultima IV
  3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  4. Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate

Some others on the shrt list: FInal Fantasy VII, Tribes, The Legend of Zelda, NHL Hockey '94...

I guess I'm in an old-school state of mind...

Because someone brought it up, Tribes is my all-time favorite FPS. At the time when Tribes 2 came out, my PC wasn't up to snuff and I couldn't play it. :(

Final Fantasy VI - Without a doubt still the best of the FF. A huge cast of characters, both of the playable and NPC type, a grand and more mature story, and great gameplay. If they remake any FF, this is the one.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Greatest Sidescroller ever. Yep, even better than Contra.

Chrono Cross - I have no idea why this series has not found itself on a current-gen console. Great opening theme.

Perfect Dark - A game six years old was much more fun than its next-gen sequel.

Here are my four favorites in no special order.

• Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube) - This game is perfection at its finest. Great boss battles, a good storyline, and a creepy atmosphere. The game is just pure fun.
  • Silent Hill 2 (PS2/X-box) - To this day, this is the only game that has made me want to turn the lights on when playing. The best atmosphere ever in a game and probably the best story in a game.
  • Super Mario Sunshine - I agree with db on this one, it does not get the respect it deserves. I can understand where the hatred comes from, but the pure fun I have had playing this game with my 3 year old son is something that can never be replaced.
  • Half Life 2 - No FPS can touch this game. I didn't think any FPS would be better than Hlaf Life, not even the sequel, but boy is it. Another game filled with great atmposphere and it plays like a dream. Oh, and the gravity gun can be a tad bit of fun too. ;)

-Dean-

In no order:

• Adventure. Atari 2600. This was the first game I played to visually use tools (swords, or arrows), have bosses, and have a visual "setting." The game that started me on the notion of dungeons in videogames.
  • Final Fantasy VII. The greatest combination of flawless RPG play with a great story, great characters, and just a wonderful moment in gaming. One of the best nemesis' ever, too.
  • ICO. Perfect level design, great atmosphere, beautiful.
  • World of Warcraft. Such a pleasure to play, and brilliant class / group / raid design. The one and only MMOG that kept me interested to max character level. Ever.

This is tough to do, but these are my top 4 based on what I was thinking about at the moment ;)

Killer Instinct (Arcade/SNES) - It's not Virtua Fighter or even Tekken, but something about this game really captured me. Super over the top combo action with a paper, rock, scissors, breaker patterns, along with eye candy graphics = me playing the game alot. Biggest disappointment: Was not released arcade perfect for the Ultra 64 like Nintendo promised. Fuckers.

Maniac Mansion (NES) - Such a different game for the time, I really wished this one had been more popular to open the flood gates for similar titles. It never happened. What a great game with great a great story and great characters.

Super Mario Kart (SNES) - In a long series of Mario Kart games, the original is best. (Mario Kart DS would be a close tie if it werent for snaking in that game).

Legend of Zelda (NES) - Seriously, what needs to be said here?

A lot of good ones mentioned already, and some would be on my list. However I'll try to list ones not previously mentioned that meant a lot to me and that I played to death.

Betrayal at Krondor (PC) - 1st RPG I played on a computer, also introduced me to Raymond Feist and started a love for Fantasy novels.

Tie Fighter (PC) - Better than X-wing (which I loved), and 1st time I can remember replaying a mission over and over again trying to complete the secret objectives to attain a higher rank in the emperor's secret order, even though I could move on in the game because I had easily finished the primary objectives.

Super Mario 3 (NES) - I know its not that original to rate this as a top pick, however, I have never had as much anticipation for a single game as this one...I called every store in town, day after day, asking if this was in stock...damn Nintendo Power and the Wizard for making me want this game so bad. I also enjoyed its release on the GBA and the extra cards for it that came with the E-reader.

Doom 2 - 1st time I played against a buddy online through the LAN in the frat house, and also 1st game that I bought Mods for (this was before I knew how to download files)...Babbage’s sold disks of user created levels...WAD files?...and they added all sorts of replayability to a game already beaten.

Four games eh? That's tough as I'd love to include so many older titles. To make things easier, I'll limit myself to the last generation or so. I don't think I can name only four if I go back to

-Panzer Dragoon Orta - The very pinnacle of the rail shooter genre. It looks devine, plays like a dream, and has provided me with one of my favorite gaming experiences in the last 10 years. It remains my favorite game of last generation.

-Silent Hill 2 - A game that's been mentioned by several in this thread already and with good reason. It's a frightening experience due in very large part to its sound and production design. The story remains one of the most compelling and "mature" you'll find in any game out there.

-Shadow of the Colossus - Yeah, some would say it's added because it's artsy or "cool" to throw it in, but screw that. It's on the list for me because it's the first game to get me to shed a tear. It's the first game to really send me on a rollercoaster of emotion when you finally see what the hero in the game is doing and the consequences of his action. Ico was a game I enjoyed and I give it it's due in art design but it's Shadow of the Colossus that really proved to me that Team Ico will be a developer I'll buy just about anything from in the future.

-Devil May Cry 3 - I've spent damn near 100 hours playing this game and with good reason. It is everything I wanted from a sequel to Devil May Cry (after the horribly disappointing DMC2). The gameplay is deep, fun, and it blows just about any other action game out there away IMO. The Special Edition improved on an already stellar game and I'm sure I'll get the urge to play through this bad boy again before the year is out.

Narrowing my choices to 4 were certainly difficult. My selections were based on the following evaluative criteria: what would I play if I was stuck on an island with a limitless supply of electricity and a broadband connection? :D

In no particular order:

1) Killer Instinct (Arcade/SNES) - it was a tough decision between this and Soul Calibur, but after taking into account the controller and length of time spent, I had to give the final nod to Fulgore and company.

2) Unreal Tournament (PC) - it was a toss-up between this and Battlefield 1942 (due in large part to the Desert Combat mod). My interest in the BF franchise has waned somewhat, but I'm planning to build a new PC rig just to play UT2007. Hands down, my favourite FPS series of all time.

3) TIE-Fighter (PC) - actually, any of the earlier Star Wars-based space combat simulators would capably fill this spot, but I gave the nod to T-F because it gave me my first opportunity to join the ranks of the Empire.

4) Pengo (Arcade) - just my favourite arcade game of all time.

1). Resident Evil 1 / 4 (PS1 / PS2)

I can't choose between the first installment in the Resident Evil series and the tremendous fourth installment. Resident Evil was so far ahead of its time when it hit the PS1 in the mid-90s. Never before had a game sucked me in like the camp fest that was the orignal Resident Evil. RE 4 was also an amazing experience. I kept wishing RE4 would never end but it did (rather abrubtly too).

2). Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES)

By far my most played game on the SNES. I can remember shelling out $80 for this game back in my youth and it was worth every penny. Hell I even kept a log book of all my scores and arcade mode victories.

3). TIE Fighter (PC)

Like a few others in the list, I too loved X-Wing. However TIE Fighter was a lot more fun and expansive. Flying all the different TIEs with their different capabilities was a blast. I would really like to see this game updated.

4). Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II (PC)

The original Dark Forces was one of my favorite PC games of all time, but Jedi Knight took the FPS formula to the next level. The 3Dfx accelerated graphics were amazing and chopping arms off with a lightsaber was quite the euphoric experience.

1. Any game in the SoulCalibur series - in my mind this game is every bit as classic as chess. If you screw up, it's your fault. There are very few games that can bring a bunch of people together in one living room for 12 hours straight of passing the controller around and this is the ultimate one right here. I own every game in this series and like them all equally, so I'm mentioning the DreamCast version for the sake of picking one just because its impact was gigantic for its time.

2. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - more bang for your buck than any $60 you can spend on a videogame. Renders so many other games obsolete that it's almost criminal. There's too much to do and too much to see, it takes more than 300 hours to experience it all with one character, and there's new content being added on a semi-regular basis. I can only hope it gets expansions the way Morrowind did with Bloodmoon and Tribunal.

3. Chrono Cross - greatest RPG ever made. Tons of playable characters, incredible music, utterly brilliant battle system that has no equal.

4. Half Life 2 - the gravity gun is the best thing to happen to videogames in a decade and was a massive (and necessary) kick in the ass for FPS's. Psi-Ops gets partial credit for something similar but in Half-Life 2 it was taken to a new level.

Panzer Dragoon Orta and Otogi: Myth of Demons are now tied for 5th place.

Runners Up: Tekken 5; Tekken Tag Tournament; Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved; Ms. Pac-Man; Final Fantasy X; Halo 2; Diablo II; Asteroids; Joust; Worms Armageddon; SSX 3