LCVG

Battlestations(360)

Bruce B

This game caught my eye do to the versatility of selecting so many vehicles.

"The Battle of Midway was a turning point that changed the course of history," said David Bamberger, US Marketing Manager, Eidos. "Battlestations: Midway challenges players to see and create turning points by taking the right action at the right moment in epic air, sea, and undersea battles."

Battlestations: Midway brings to life the epic naval battles of the World War II Pacific Theater from Pearl Harbor to the Battle of Midway. Featuring an innovative blend of real-time strategy and action gameplay, players can instantly switch between every vehicle on the map, playing as a pilot, then a gunner, then a submarine captain throughout the course of the battle. The game also features multiple authentically designed warships from the USS Yorktown to Japan's super battleship, the IJN Yamato. Players can command over 50 vehicles and over 100 vehicles can face off in any one battle.

The single player mode features 11 large-scale campaigns with 12 bonus challenge missions, while the online multiplayer combat offers an entirely new online battle experience with head-to-head and co-operative style gameplay. Battlestations: Midway is a wholly new and significant addition to the Xbox Live® online game service community that delivers an exciting online gaming experience for the collaborative gamer.

1158698593.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I played 2 games of it last night and enjoyed it, but it's definitely not a "jump in and just play" sort of game. I really wish it had a tutorial to explain controls and commands. It's also slow paced, and more like a strategy game so keep this in mind if you're going to try it out. It's definitely not an action game, but does have some action elements in it.

I should have posted my impressions here instead of in the online gaming section.

I played a couple rounds and had two hard freezes (something I only get with Oblivion on my current 360). With that in mind, I still recommend downloading it. It could be a fun future rental as I can't see myself getting a purchase amount of fun with this game. In the unwashed games I played, the reception of the game was pretty poor. People are not used to this slow of game play on their 360. i.e. "Why won't this aircraft carrier move any faster???"

I completely forgot about the demo. I'll have to log in and snag it right now. I did wonder about the logic of just throwing a multiplayer demo out there, with no real way for anyone to learn the controls or anything before hand. Can you start a room with just yourself and fool around with it?

I played a few rounds and don't know what to think. Seems pretty cool, and looks like it should be loads of fun, but once I figured out the basics I found myself playing almost exclusively from the map, which isn't very exciting. The AI seems damn good at carrying out your orders so I never felt the need to do anything manually. And while the pace seems kinda slow at first, it moves along pretty quickly if you're constantly watching the map and giving out orders, leaving you little time to even look at the action in 3D.

I don't suppose you do a bunch more damage if you attack yourself, or something? Any good reason to be more hands-on and I'd be much more interested.

Makes me miss Over-G Fighters.