LCVG

Just Cause

Hank Scorpio

Hey Gang,

I saw in this week's Circuit City advert that Just Cause is released this week, and I'm debating whether or not to pick it up for the 360.

Anybody have any thoughts on the game? The few reviews I've found make it sound decent, but I don't know if there is a demo available or not.

Do I pick this up, or spend my entertainment budget on records instead? Decisions, decisions...

Hey Gang,

I saw in this week's Circuit City advert that Just Cause is released this week, and I'm debating whether or not to pick it up for the 360.

Anybody have any thoughts on the game? The few reviews I've found make it sound decent, but I don't know if there is a demo available or not.

Do I pick this up, or spend my entertainment budget on records instead? Decisions, decisions...

There's a demo available on Marketplace. I'd recommend downloading it and seeing if the game play is your thing or not. I didn't love it, personally, although the concept is very cool.

I'd say records, personally. There's another thread much further down that this'll no doubt get merged into, but I couldn't get into this game at all. There is a demo on XBL and it dutifully turned me off the game. I'm a fan of the go-everywhere and do stuff genre; I like my GTA's and my Saint's Rows'. The control in this one, however, was not really all that good and I did the first mish on the demo, tried the second, got bloody bored, and sent it packing.

I'm sure others had slightly lesser or more positive reactions, but I personally can't see myself picking this one up.

I garnered some fun from the demo, but I have to agree with Camp in saying that there are some real issues in the control department. The entire shooting mechanic is a bit blah also as you spend most of your time shooting a targeting reticule than you do enemies (the reticule is so huge and the color pallete in the game makes it hard to see that you're even shooting an actual person).

Just Cause isn't horrible mind you, but with titles like Saint's Row out there, I just don't see it being worth full price (which I believe is $49.99 in the states). Of course you could order the game for $39.90 from Play-Asia as it is region free.

It would have made a decent budget title at $29.99 to be quite honest.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this the other day and so far I don't its too bad, if you can over look some of the games flaws. For instance the main characters animations are horrible and the controlls can be frustrating at times. The environments are for the most part really nice to look at, yet the character models are so simple and well....shit they are shit. The cutscenes make you want to stab your eyes out they are so bad. The voice acting is some of the worse I've heard, right up there at times with Resident Evil on the PSOne! The fake spanish accents are awful. The controls feel nice and tight.

I really like how you can jump into any vehicle and drive/fly/boat around the islands. I got myself a helicopter from a drug lord and have been using that to fly around in big pimpin' style. There is also this whole extreme stunts portion to the game but so far its dumb and all its done for me is make me loose my ride. The story is different and for that I thank Avalanche and Eidos for, I hope we see more publishers take a chance on something like this.

I'm going to put some more time into it. Right now I'd say its worth a rental if you are curious, but not a purchase.