LCVG

Crackdown - Xbox 360

Romier S

This is a game that's been in production for quite some time and has changed art style various times throughout it's development cycle. At it's core, Crackdown can be described as GTA with Superhero powers. I know, I can hear the cringe happening from the GTA comparison as we're all no doubt on GTA overload but the latest screens and videos for the game are coming along nicely (huge improvement over the last time I saw the game in motion where it looked downright bad). Here's some new screenshots as well as a new gameplay video courtesy of Xboxyde:

[ATTACH]2285[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2286[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2287[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2288[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2289[/ATTACH]

You can download the video right here:

Crackdown in motion

Here's a preview from Gamespot also with some gameplay details:

Crackdown Preview

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a Microsoft Game Studios game Dean and the creative director behind Crackdown is David Jones who worked on the original Grand Theft Auto and its sequel.

Also, the game looks to feature some rather unique coop. This is from an interview with CVG with the aformentioned David Jones:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=140428

What about Xbox Live multiplayer?

David Jones: I look at Crackdown as the first game to do co-op in the way we're doing it. You can join in your mate's game at any time. You could both hop into supercars and scream through the streets at 200mph, your mate five metres in front of you flipping cars out of the way. Or if you were about to take on a Kingpin that you were having trouble with you could ask your mate with high firearms skill to hop into your game and give you a hand. You could even just keep a saved game that you only play with your mate. It's a totally new way of playing an open-ended game like Crackdown.

Consider my interest peaked.

I hadn't even realized this is set for release in a matter of weeks. There's a 10/16 release date on Gamestops site at the moment.

That release date is likely wrong. And yes, it's published by Microsoft.

This is also being created by one of the original GTA guys...correct?

It's being created by Real Time Worlds, which was founded by Dave Jones, the original owner of DMA Design, the developer of GTA. A number of the original GTA1/2 team work at RTW. Dave Jones didn't "create" GTA per se, but he was heavily involved in the original concept, if not the execution. The team working on it were definitely involved the evolution of GTA through its development.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those dates are now official! Online coop in the demo!

Microsoft today gave gamers some guidance on when they could expect Crackdown to roll into retail by announcing an official release date of February 20. What's more, those on the fence about whether or not to pick up the game can download a free demo from the Xbox Live Marketplace starting January 18. The demo version of the game will include online cooperative play as well as single-player action.

I forgot the game had online co-op!

Here's a list of other notable games competing with this one in Q1 on the 360

Alan Wake (IGN has it, can't be right)

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007

The Darkness

Castle Crashers

Forza Motorsport 2

Half-Life 2 (IGN has it, can't be right)

GRAW 2

Too Human (IGN has it, can't be right)

I forgot the game had online co-op!

Here's a list of other notable games competing with this one in Q1 on the 360

Alan Wake (IGN has it, can't be right)

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007

The Darkness

Castle Crashers

Forza Motorsport 2

Half-Life 2 (IGN has it, can't be right)

GRAW 2

Too Human (IGN has it, can't be right)

Most of them are wrong as you say, and even then, I don't see how the likes of Castle Crashers (which is XBLA) or games in other genres like Forza are really competition for it.

ICastle Crashers was a mispaste.

But I can only really play one (maybe two) games at a time. So I sort of choose the one that most interests me at the time. If Half-Life 2 and Crackdown came out at the same time, I might not get Crackdown at all. If Crackdown came out next to Lost Planet, one of them would give. For me anyway. I bet there are others like me out there. Well, maybe.

Half-Life 2 is likely going to be a summer release simply due to the delay in Episode 2 (which is included in the 360 version).

I think Alan Wake has slipped into 2008, Forza looks like a summer launch and who knows when Too Human will show up again. The other big potential Q1 games I can think of off the top of my head are Def Jam Icon and the new Burnout game.

One more thing: I can't totally confirm this yet but I'm being told Crackdown will be packed with a playable demo of Halo 3. Don't know anything else about that but I got it from someone who would know. I have floated the obvious questions out about this one and will update as I can.