LCVG

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion now a PS3 launch title (extra content!)

Romier S

OPM's cover story this month is....*drumroll* Oblivion.

Oblivion will be a Playstation 3 LAUNCH title and will include 10-20 hours of extra content including a new faction called the Knights of the Nine who are the exact opposite of the Dark Brotherhood. No word yet on what improvements we'll see with the release, but I see a double dip in my future.:D

Ugghhh, please give us the content for free on XBL... Man, what a treat for anyone that has held out on a PS3 this long but is an Elder Scrolls fan.

For FREE? That's asking a lot (what did Romier pay for his precious horse armour again?). I raised this in the PS3 thread, but this rather sounds like the PS3 will be getting a 'Game of the Year Edition' from the get go allowing for a 360 and PC re-release sometime in 2007, perhaps with the additional offer of existing Oblivion owners being able to pay for the new content over Live to save them having to buy the game over again. Speculation on my part of course.

Oh and 1up.com has the first screenshots:

[ATTACH]2309[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2310[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2311[/ATTACH]

1up has more info on the new faction and quests (which all appear to be new and not just the current marketplace content dumped onto a PS3 disc):

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154065

Here's what we know so far. The game will introduce a new faction to the Oblivion world, one that's available right at the beginning called Knights of the Nine and described by the developers as "the good Dark Brotherhood." The goal here is to become the Divine Crusader (think part warrior, part priest), and the quest features new locations, characters, armor and weapons.

EDIT: I think the real question we have to ask ourselves aside from the content is how much better will Oblivion run on the Playstation 3. Now that Bethesda has a standard hard drive to work with along with the added space of a Blu-Ray disc to play around with; are the framerate issues in the game a thing of the past? It will be really interesting to see how smoothly the game performs on the Playstation 3. Screenshots won't tell us much since I've no doubt the game will look almost identical to the 360 version visually.

Now that Bethesda has a standard hard drive to work with along with the added space of a Blu-Ray disc to play around with; are the framerate issues in the game a thing of the past? It will be really interesting to see how smoothly the game performs on the Playstation 3.

That is of course a very good point, and it might well determine whether I buy it for the 360 when I finally get the console, or leave it until I get a PS3. I do feel I may be going too long without having ever played the game in the first place mind you…

Hopefully Bethsoft makes this a download for us 360 owners.

I'm still playing Oblivion rather regularly. A couple weeks ago finally embraced darkness and became a vampire. Joined the Dark Brotherhood and I'm making my way up the ladder now.

Don't think I'd be willing to jump into this goody-goody faction too soon but, I would definitely like to be able to download it and have it in my game.

Good news for the Ps3, but as others have said, I hope that the content is put up there for the 360 and PC versions as well (I wouldn't be surprised to see it eventually).

I wonder if they'll actually change things to make some of the factions mutually exclusive (i.e. at a certain point, you'll have to choose between the Knights of the Nine and the Dark Brotherhood). This was probably my one major compaint about the structure of Oblivion, and one the the conceits that kind of pulled me out of the game. In "reality", it would make sense that certain guilds/factions would be at odds with each other, and the fact that you could essentially be the leader of both of them at the same time was a little strange. True, there were points where you could be ejected from the Mages' guild by doing a thieves' mission for example, but it was pretty trivial to keep both sides happy. Still a great game, I just think the guild questlines could have been a little better and more immersive if there was this possibility of consequence. I suppose they have to save something for ES5 though :)

PSP? Can you imagine the load times?

It's a completely different game Dean. It's being designed for the PSP with a whole new story set in the same world. I think Bethesda can pull some neat stuff off on the PSP to be honest. It would be interesting to get a fully handheld world at your fingertips. Though I'm not sure how well that translates into a good portable experience. We shall see.

I'd bet we see this content as part of an expansion or something on the 360/PC. You know the PC crowd is going to be especially pissed if they don't get it.

Oblivion is too much of a cashcow for Bethesda to ignore the other platforms. The content is created....why not bring it over. It might maintain exclusive status on the PS3 for a short time, but I highly doubt that will last.

I'd bet we see this content as part of an expansion or something on the 360/PC. You know the PC crowd is going to be especially pissed if they don't get it.

Oblivion is too much of a cashcow for Bethesda to ignore the other platforms. The content is created....why not bring it over. It might maintain exclusive status on the PS3 for a short time, but I highly doubt that will last.

Sounds logical. Morrowind was rereleased on the XBox with Bloodmoon and Tribunal. so I can't imagine us not getting the extra stuff.

I raised this in the PS3 thread, but this rather sounds like the PS3 will be getting a 'Game of the Year Edition' from the get go allowing for a 360 and PC re-release sometime in 2007

I got the new issue of OPM the other day and the PS3 version does not include any of the downloadable content from the 360/PC version. They talk about it being offered on the PS3 the same way it was on the 360, but they don't know for sure as they don't know how the PS3 network is going to be setup. No mention of if the new content will be offered for the 360 and PC, but as others have stated already, I'm pretty sure it will be made available.

As far as improvements to the performance, just some new uses of shaders to remove the lines in the geometry seen from a distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'll be sticking with the 360 version...

From an interview with Todd Howard, Executive Producer of Oblivion.

Why would you play it on PS3? You might play it because you didn't get an X360 or don't own a PC that can run it and want to experience this unique RPG experience for yourself. Maybe you just want to experience the new content on your PS3. Or you're getting a PS3 as your main console and want to play Oblivion again.

- No "game of the year" edition planned for 360/PC

- No tilt controller support

- No special edition release

- HDD usage same as 360

IGN: Will the Knights of the Nine quests eventually become available for X360 and PC players of Oblivion, or are they exclusively PS3's?

Howard: We always aim to have all our content available across all platforms, so that is our goal.

IGN: Are you pleased with how the downloadable content has faired on the X360? Are there any signs that the PS3 version will perform in a similar way?

Howard: It's done very, very well for us on X360. It is our hope we can do it again on PS3.

IGN: How do you feel about consumables for any version of Oblivion?

Howard: We think it's a horrible idea. Not something we think is in the spirit of stuff you'd pay extra for.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738319p1.html

Just passed over 330 hours of gametime in Oblivion. Kind bummed since other than the deadric shrine quests, there isn't anything left other than the mages guild but, I don't want to be a mage.

Now as a vampire, I don't understand why they (bethsoft) didn't put in some vampire clans with their own quests like they did back on the island.