LCVG

WTS: 3000 Gamerscore points, $299

bendak

Tired of playing videogames to completion so you can squeak out an extra 20 Gamer Points to edge ahead of your friends? Well, if your GamerScore matters that much to you, it might be time to look into Levelmy360, a new pay-for-points service that's just opened up the gates. Now, whether those are the gates to heaven or hell... well still up in the air.

The site claims that the team behind Levelmy360 they're a crew of "powerleveling veterans" and you can purchase points in 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 denominations. However, the more points you want, the more cash you have to be willing to part with. The low end service, 500 points, costs $39.99, while 3000 points will run interested parties $299.99.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154194

this seems to echo that strory of framing in WoW.....

I heard that from someone else. My take is, can't you use that farmed gold for something in WoW? Gamerscore points are utterly without value. Well, they were before this... now apparently they're worth about $0.10. That's more than the cash value of coupons! ;)

I think this will turn out to be a ploy to weed out the stupid and ignorant from our populace so they can be easily fired off into space on the proverbial interstellar ice flow.

I thought gold farmers and their customers were bloody idiots, but at least, as noted, you could do something with that. This is merely the most moronic damn thing I've heard all week.

I actually have nothing against the people offering the service-I just want to know if they'll get any takers for that price. Really, they're just identifying what they see as a need, and offering to fill it. There are so many easy points out there that getting these yourself shouldn't be all that tough with some basic skill and a gamefly account :)

I have no frickin clue how people get worked up over this arbitrary score that means absolutely nothing more than how many games you have bought or rented. I think the achievements are cool in that they give you some extra goals to shoot for rather than just beating a game, but who cares about a pissing contest over who has the highest score? This is not Galaga where it would actually make sense.

I have no frickin clue how people get worked up over this arbitrary score that means absolutely nothing more than how many games you have bought or rented

Trevor and I were talking about this on the weekend, and we decided that it's more interesting to look at the batting average than the overall score. This'll give you a measure of not how much you've played, but whether you bother to actually finish the games you do start.

Just figured out that after taking out the XBLA demos, I'm up to 71.6% (81.6% if I take out the two retail games that I played for 5 minutes and got 0 points in).

Trevor and I were talking about this on the weekend, and we decided that it's more interesting to look at the batting average than the overall score. This'll give you a measure of not how much you've played, but whether you bother to actually finish the games you do start.

I think what is most interesting is whether I'm having fun with the games I play, not crunching numbers and using metrics to compare myself to others. ;) I just don't get this need to quantify our gaming habits and prowess...

*yawn*

Yet another reason I hate achievements. :td

That's it. I'm gonna release games for $59.99 in which you just simply get 1000 gamer points for putting it in your 360. I guarantee thousands of idiots will buy it.

The title of the games? "You suck." "You suck reloaded." "You suck II."

I have a naive question. If you play 360 games and have Live, is there any way to opt-out of the Achievements system?

I really, really, really wish there was. To my knowledge, there isn't. It's plastered all over your gamer tag, often in bigger font than your name. After all, it's a representation of how 3733+ and hardc0re you are.

I have a naive question. If you play 360 games and have Live, is there any way to opt-out of the Achievements system?
Achievements aren't something that take up time, space, effort, or otherwise affect your life unless you're interested in it. It seems like there are three types of people here:

1. Those who are interested because they enjoy it
  2. Those who are interested because they hate it
  3. Those who don't care one way or another

I don't think any #3 people would ever post in a thread like this. Just #2s that think they are #3s.

I freely admit that I hate them.

I actively hate them.

I make a point as often as possible to point out that I think they're annoying, as they turn conversations about crappy games into "well, at least I can get some gamerpoints out of it."

Achievements aren't something that take up time, space, effort, or otherwise affect your life unless you're interested in it. It seems like there are three types of people here:

1. Those who are interested because they enjoy it
  2. Those who are interested because they hate it
  3. Those who don't care one way or another

I don't think any #3 people would ever post in a thread like this. Just #2s that think they are #3s.

Sounds to me (not having seen the interface myself), that they do take up space on Live screens, maybe friends lists, lobbies, etc. My gaming habits are so lame, I'm certain if I had a 360 my Achievements score would look ridiculous, which is a disincentive to bother with it. I suspect that I would sooner opt-out of it than display my stunted achievements.

People complaining about the worthlessness of achievements remind me of the people who complain that the SATs are meaningless or when ugly people say that beauty doesn't matter.

Ummm, well, first of all, we weren't even originally talking about the achievements themselves, we were discussing the point values that go along with them which make up your Gamerscore.

I think the achievements themselves are kinda neat like I said, it gives you some different ways to approach the game you might not have thought of. Dead Rising, I'm looking squarely at you.

That being said, I think the point values associated with them and the concept of the Gamerscore are stupid and just another pointless metric to make some gamers feel better about themselves or give them a reason to trudge through some asstastic games to "get the points."

So I guess I busted the three model system you just proposed since I don't seem to fit into one of those buckets.

Sounds to me (not having seen the interface myself), that they do take up space on Live screens, maybe friends lists, lobbies, etc. My gaming habits are so lame, I'm certain if I had a 360 my Achievements score would look ridiculous, which is a disincentive to bother with it. I suspect that I would sooner opt-out of it than display my stunted achievements.

It's all over the place. I counted it twice on my Xbox 360 xbox.com page, and on every single screen of the 360 dashboard. It follows your gamertag virtually everywhere.

I think the achievements themselves are kinda neat like I said, it gives you some different ways to approach the game you might not have thought of. Dead Rising, I'm looking squarely at you.

And I think that'll be what people start caring about rather than the overall total. For example, getting all of the achievements in King Kong is pretty worthless-it basically says that you finished the game once, which really isn't too difficult. For something like Dead Rising though, you need at least a few passes through the main game, not to mention infinite and overtime modes, as well as some different gameplay scenarios to get all of them. As gamerscores get more and more ridiculous, it's going to be individual achievements (or individual game scores) that matter.

To go back to an earlier example, it's just like scores in Galaga-some people care, some people don't. People always tend to share gaming accomplishments, and this is one of the first times that there's been a universal way to do so.

An opt-out system would be interesting, but it begs the question that if you think ponts are stupid, and don't care about them, can't you just ignore them?

It's all over the place. I counted it twice on my Xbox 360 xbox.com page, and on every single screen of the 360 dashboard. It follows your gamertag virtually everywhere.
Well, the smaller your score, the less space it takes up. For example, mine takes up #### characters on the screen while JTello's takes up ###. So if you SUCK, there isn't as much to complain about. It's just the people will skills, AND who don't like it, who have to complain.

To go back to an earlier example, it's just like scores in Galaga-some people care, some people don't. People always tend to share gaming accomplishments, and this is one of the first times that there's been a universal way to do so.

The difference, though, is that 100,000pts in Galaga is always 100,000pts in Galaga. It's a controlled metric.

To your example, 1000 points from Godzilla does not equoate 1000 points from Dead Rising.

As such, the Gamerscores lose their impact and just get annoying as people go after the easy, crappy games just for points.

An opt-out system would be interesting, but it begs the question that if you think ponts are stupid, and don't care about them, can't you just ignore them?

It's not so much me, but everyone else. I'm not interested in showing the world that I play games very sporadically and rarely finish a game. Especially with the knowledge that some people take it very seriously. In a loose sense it's a privacy issue.

You could always turn off the audio/visual notifications so you don't have to see when you unlock an achivement.

I agree that the total gamerscore is rather pointless, but comparing individual games with friends is interesting to see who has the difficult/unique achivements.