LCVG

Wii and PS3 pre-orders?

Chris The Rock

Last year, I pre-ordered a 360, and I was glad I did. I want to pre-order a Wii and a PS3 also (though I'll probably eBay the PS3 unless the reviews of its Blu-Ray perormance are stellar), but I've come up dry on Gamestop/EBGames.com.

Anyone have a preorder, and where did you get it?

I'm ordering over the web, I don't want either of these things enough to stand in line at a brick and mortar store.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to snag a preorder for a Wii on Amazon. Right now, it will tell you that they'll e-mail you once the product becomes available again, but I've heard that there were some people who had signed up for this before the first batch of preorders took place and didn't get a response at all from Amazon.

The good news is that it sounds as if Nintendo will have lots of Wiis on store shelves by the end of the year. In fact, they may have more than they originally expected. If true, it may not be as impossible to find one like it was with the Xbox 360.

Best of luck to you all, regardless.

Just talked to my buddy at EB and they are also getting 16 units. He says the higher volume stores are being allotted the 16 units while lower volume stores are looking at getting half of that. The $100 deposit looks steep, but it's going to gaurentee you the system and EB/Gamestop are looking to avoid the Xbox 360 debacle from last year.

I just received an e-mail from GameStop concerning the PS3 preorders happening tomorrow. Here's what it had to say:

GameStop and EB Games will begin accepting limited pre-orders for the PlayStation 3 console on Tuesday, October 10, on a first come, first served basis. Due to extremely limited supply, we expect to deplete this allocation very quickly, most likely in minutes. We will not accept additional pre-orders at this time. To avoid an unnecessary trip we strongly recommend you call your local store to determine availability. A $100 reservation deposit is required, which can be funded with cash, credit or trade. As we cannot control production and shipping issues by the manufacturer, a reservation deposit does not guarantee receipt of a system available to purchase at launch. Reservations/Purchases are limited to 1 per household.

Our limited online pre-order program will be announced at a later date, after software and accessory availability dates are confirmed. Online product pricing and availability will vary and will be fulfilled independent of store reservations.

Obviously, this is all information that has already been detailed in this thread, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

I think it's very clear from reading this that these stores want to avoid the debacle of the Xbox 360 launch from last year. I only hope that those who do preorder the system will be able to get their hands on it the day it comes out without any need to wait in line or come in at some ungodly hour in the morning to get one.

I always found it odd that those who preordered systems had to wait in line for the 360 launch for hours on end to get one. Why the hell even preorder it if that's the case? I reserved a system. The store should, in theory, hold it for me until I can pick it up (within a reasonable time frame of course). I should be able to walk into a store at my leisure, buy my game system and walk out without any fuss or muss. Let's hope that this happens for those who want the PS3 this November 17.

Did most EB/GS's just start the pay-in-store pre-orders for the PS3? I got laughed at last year at this point for trying to get a 360 pre-order. I live in a major market, and I am willing to get a guaranteed pre-order. I refuse to wait in line.

I'm not worried about the Wii. Nintendo has their shit in one sock. They're good.

Correct Chuck. EB/Gamestop has only now started taking preorders in an effort to curb the backlash they received last year after the 360 launch and gamers who preordered were left with no console for months. I've been told those that preorder (again larger market stores are getting about 16 or so consoles) are GAURENTEED the system at launch.