LCVG

Can you add HDMI ports to your tv?

Bruce B

Had you bought a commercial Panasonic panel you could.

I certainly would have considered that if I had not bought my Toshiba 5 years ago (almost 6 now!) when all of this DRM garbage was just a twinkle in some asshole Hollywood exec's mind! I can't tell you how much I LOVE being fucked over for being an early adopter and enabling this HD market to even exist.

I certainly would have considered that if I had not bought my Toshiba 5 years ago (almost 6 now!) when all of this DRM garbage was just a twinkle in some asshole Hollywood exec's mind! I can't tell you how much I LOVE being fucked over for being an early adopter and enabling this HD market to even exist.

Fuck 'em dude. So far HD-DVD and BR discs, as well as HD over cable/satellite, no one is using the ICT flag yet. Apparently they're not that brave.

In fact, my new projector will have HDMI but I'll be sticking with component until the lame-ass copy protection flags start being used. 60ft of HDMI cable (plus the booster I would likely need) is just too expensive.

• 2 months later...

Am thinking about grabbing one but have a question concerning my harmony 880 remote. If I got this switcher, I assume that on the remote you have to set all devices that are hooked up to the switcher to default to the HDMI1 input. Does anybody know if you can duplicate inputs for multiple devices using the Harmony, or will you get an error that another device is attached to that input?

All you would have to do on the Harmony is set the TV to HDMI on the activities which use the HDMI device. Then add the switcher to the activity and have it switch to the input the device is plugged into the switcher. 1, 2, 3, 4 .. etc..

Speaking of which im going to have to buy a HDMI switcher has well soon

I can't vouch for it, but Octava makes a 4-in, 1-out HDMI switcher with optical digital audio switching:

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204port_toslink.htm

Many on the HT boards have used their products with success. It ain't cheap, though. I would like it because I don't have an HDMI receiver and I am running low on optical inputs. That said, I'll be waiting for the crop of HDMI 1.3 receivers to see if they will meet my needs.

The new Denon 3808 is likely where I'm headed. HDmi 1.3, new audio codecs built in, etc and it's in my price range(meaning <$1500).

I'll be watching that one, too. I also expect that Outlaw will introduce a new pre/pro with HDMI 1.3 -- but that announcement isn't likely coming until summer/fall, and I doubt I will wait that long.

I'm really hoping for four HDMI inputs on the new receivers ( for me, that would mean one for PS3, cable, HD-DVD, and OTA HD tuner) -- but I'm guessing we'll get three.

Those are called "receivers" ;) Unfortunately for some they aren't the $250 refurb special types either.

Problem is even then most receivers don't have enough component/hdmi inputs. :( And I shouldn't need to spend $1k on another receiver just for more video switching :(

They need to start trimming down the number of composite/s-vid inputs and ramping up the component inputs already!

I still have to try and figure out how to program my 880 so that when I switch operations it switches inputs on the switcher.

That's easy as they are in the Logitech software.

Select Add Device, Audio/Video Switch, Monoprice, whatever the model number is

Then just update your activities to include the switch/ which input needs to be on

• 3 months later...

I would steer anyone away from the Monoprice HDMI splitters. Mine shit the bed over the weekend and if I remember right Joey went through a few of them. I think I'm out of warranty so I just have to eat it. I'm not going to bother replacing it for now as my a/v has two ports and all I run through it is the PS3 and my DVR.