LCVG

Recommend a small truck please?

foogledricks

I have a looong driveway. So I either need to pay someone to plow it often, or I can buy a truck that can do the job. It would be nice to have a truck to transport the large crap that comes with owning a house - that's a bonus benefit.

But I do not want a huge gas guzzling truck. I want a modest one. I don't plan on using it a ton. Though I might get stuck with using it more than I want to so gas is a concern. Any recommendations? I am not someone who pays attention to the vehicle market. So your help is appreciated.

DSC01762.jpg

I would have reservations on how well the front end of a amall truck would hold up with a plow on it. I use to have my driveway plowed(driveway is 400feet long) and always hated in the spring fixing the damage the plow would inevitable do to the lawn. I bought a snowblower that attaches to the front of my tractor. Works great. keith, did you ever think about just buying a self propelled snowblower?

C'mon, get the truck. I drive a 1998 Toyota Tacoma that I bought 3 years ago and LOVE IT. It has 130,000 and still drives brand new. Tacomas get 20-25 MPG and known for their versatility. I got a 4WD version and use it to haul stuff like mulch, fishing boats, etc. Lots of pulling/pushing power, too. You could probably find a 2000ish model for $6,000-$8,000 and be very, very happy. Once you have a truck, you'll have the constant "What did I do without this" discussion all the time.

C'mon, get the truck. I drive a 1998 Toyota Tacoma that I bought 3 years ago and LOVE IT. It has 130,000 and still drives brand new. Tacomas get 20-25 MPG and known for their versatility. I got a 4WD version and use it to haul stuff like mulch, fishing boats, etc. Lots of pulling/pushing power, too. You could probably find a 2000ish model for $6,000-$8,000 and be very, very happy. Once you have a truck, you'll have the constant "What did I do without this" discussion all the time.
Could a truck like that fit my tractor lawn mower and how much does a plow attachment usually cost?

Keith, IF you went with a small truck, the easy decision (IMO) would be a Toyota Tacoma. A truck is more versatile than a snow blower, and knowing your situation more closely than most here, I agree with your uncle when he said you need a truck. You seem intent on being active working around your new home and doing various chores, and I believe a truck purchase would something to seriously look into.

Here's a quick note I found on snowplownews

Mr. Plow,

What do you think of snoway plows? ,... Do you think it is a bad idea to install a plow on a Toyota Tacoma or a S-10 blazer?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mike & Heather

Hi,

SnoWay plows compare very favorably with any of the brands that you mentioned. It some cases out perform them.

The SnoWay Predator L1880S will work very well on a S-10 or a Tacoma.

To find a SnoWay dealer near you, see the dealer locator at http://www.snoway.com or call them at 1-800-662-1453.

Happy plowing!!

Mr. Plow

Heck, if a smaller pickup works for Mr. Plow how you can go wrong!

BTW, I will kick your ass out of jealousy if you do get a pickup. :D

Could a truck like that fit my tractor lawn mower...

It could absolutely fit your lawn mower. The smaller truck beds really aren't that small at all, just not as long as the full sizers. A word of warning, though.... you will have every friend and relative asking, "Can I borrow your truck?" There's even a bumper sticker I've seen that says, "Yes this is my truck. No you can't borrow it." I hate bumper stickers, but that one is tempting.

Get a Tacoma, you will not regret it. I did all the research, test drove about 12 different trucks, called people that I knew owned different makes and models...it's hands down the best. I seriously would not trade my 1998 Tacoma with 130k miles for a brand new Ford Ranger or Dodge Dakota...really.

That guy ain't no Mr. Plow unless he signs everything, "Mr. Plow, that's my name. That name again is Mr. Plow."

Sigh...I miss my truck, SO much. Word of caution though, once you buy a Toyota you will have a very difficult time buying anything else, I've seen it happen too many times.

Ok now on to Mr plow, a smaller truck is absolutely fine for pushing snow. The trick is getting the right amount of weight to assist in the traction department. A good set of snow tires goes a long way too.

Now its pretty hard to give you good advice on what you really NEED when I don't know the location and the type of snow it gets. So with that said, depending on what the area gets you might be better off with a atv with a blade (nice to have the atv to burn around on too) or a small truck and blade setup and by the looks of that picture you'll have more than a million other uses for that truck too. Where I grew up I wouldn't have even considered having less than a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck with a full set of tire chains and a lot of weight in the back but that’s only because there was no way in hell anything less would be able to push that much damn snow.

• 3 weeks later...

I am researching getting a Toyota Tacoma, am considering getting a new one, haven't decided yet. Need an access cab so that baby car seat can go in the back. Will need to buy a plow separately. Still doing research on the best way to proceed given that I've never bought a car on my own before, and I know it today's age, you can buy cars by clicking "buy now" on a website, so I'm still reseaching. Advice welcome.

Oh, and I live in New England.

• 1 month later...

Oh mama are things getting interesting. I am about to buy my truck. Getting a 2007 Tacoma (Automatic/V6,4x4) with not options (I hate options). Dealing with two dealers at the moment. I'm sharing every detail from one dealer with the other. And they're getting personal now. One dealer said "the guy your dealing with at the other dealer used to work here and got fired for being dishonest with customers." I didn't tell the accused that. But the accused told me on his own he "used to work there and that he left because management was dishonest and he didn't like the way they did things."

This is getting good! Any advice on how to handle this would be appreciated. Should I start sharing their personal attacks with each other to make them personal about my sale. Maybe they're be willing to drop the price just to piss the other guys off?

On another note, I plan on getting a sno-way plow for around 4k (22 series). I'll offer more info if people are interested or have opinions. Or advice for plowing?! I may have to resurrect this thread just to solicit such advice.

B000BN6370.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V35778906_.jpg

Product Dimensions: 8.6 x 10.6 x 18 inches ; 4.2 pounds

In response to the thread title, is the above small enough for you? If not and you still want to go with that Tacoma...

#1 - Go with a 2006 if you still can, unless that 2007 has some feature you cannot live without or you are getting a killer deal.

#2 - Tell both salesman that they are fired for being "dishonest with customers" (you) and that you will no longer be dealing with them. Then start over with another guy after relating the bullshit you have already went through. I hate car salesman, last time I was in a dealership I laid down laws as soon as I sat down. No little pieces of paper, don't ask me what I want my monthly payment to be, etc. Keep fucking with them as long as you're having fun with it.

Good luck!

This is getting good! Any advice on how to handle this would be appreciated.

Ya you tell them to both screw off and go find yourself a good auto broker. I bought my 2004 Tacoma brand new from a guy at this website: http://www.cornerstoneauto.com/ My Dad had bought his 2004 Tundra from the same guy earlier that same year based on word of mouth from a guy at work. Anywho I will NEVER go to a car dealer again. The process was so easy. I called the guy and told him everything I wanted (Black Tacoma 4x4, V6, TRD package, manual tranny, etc). From there he does all the work. He calls around, looks online, etc and finds the best deal on exactlly what I asked for. Once he found my truck he had it hauled to his shop on the back of a flatbed truck so no miles were on it. I think it was just a few days later when he called and said it is ready to come pickup. Went down there, filled out some paperwork, and I was out of there with my new truck in 15minutes. I now recommend every friend, relative, etc to this guy. The amount of money he saved by finding the best deal pretty much made up for the fee he charges for the service. So basically I broke even and didn't have to do a damn thing. :tu If you can find a similar service in your area I highly recommend it. I f'n hate talking to the vultures at car dealerships.

I hate car salesman, last time I was in a dealership I laid down laws as soon as I sat down. No little pieces of paper, don't ask me what I want my monthly payment to be, etc. Keep fucking with them as long as you're having fun with it.

I agree, I lay it out and if they they stray even slightly I quickly remind them.

You're not interested in that B.S.

If you know that much useless information about the two dealers, it's too much information. Are you buying a car or researching for a drama script?

K.I.S.S. is the perfect rule for buying a car.

No, not this,...

kiss-777384.jpg

This one,...

140605.jpg

Oh, and that car broker idea is pretty neat!

I would stay far away from the personal attack issue, I just don't see how anything good can come from it, especially in the price department. You get to point of diminishing marginal returns with that sort of thing really quickly, it's not like one will really drop the price just out of spite to the other guy. Put yourself in the salesman's shoes (no matter how awful that thought is...ewwwwww). Would that make you negotiate in good faith or make you think the customer you're dealing with is jerking your chain and less likely to want to make the deal?

I'm not a big fan of trade-ins, especially when paying cash (I think you are). They'll lowball the price and undoubtedly find something "wrong" that knocks down the value even further. Since the trade-in won't decrease the size of your loan, I'd sell it on your own. I don't know what tax is in your neck of the woods, but the sales tax percentage savings surely won't be enough to save compared to getting screwed on the trade-in. And, it sounds like you can wait a few weeks to sell it before needing the proceeds.

Here's a crazy suggestion: when I bought my truck, I actually donated my old car. It wasn't exactly prime, but it ran great and I knew that the price I would get would mean very little to me compared to the benefit that someone struggling would receive by having reliable transportation. So, I donated it to a local church that runs a Hispanic ministry, who found a local man that truly needed it. I get a letter from the guy every now and then thanking me and letting me know how it's literally changed his life. As an added bonus, he lives locally and I still get to see it around town from time to time. Good tax deduction, too. Anyway, it's Christmas, so I thought I'd pass that along. Who knows, maybe that's why I haven't had any trouble out of my truck since we bought it 3 years ago.

Here's a crazy suggestion: when I bought my truck, I actually donated my old car. It wasn't exactly prime, but it ran great and I knew that the price I would get would mean very little to me compared to the benefit that someone struggling would receive by having reliable transportation. So, I donated it to a local church that runs a Hispanic ministry, who found a local man that truly needed it. I get a letter from the guy every now and then thanking me and letting me know how it's literally changed his life. As an added bonus, he lives locally and I still get to see it around town from time to time. Good tax deduction, too. Anyway, it's Christmas, so I thought I'd pass that along. Who knows, maybe that's why I haven't had any trouble out of my truck since we bought it 3 years ago.

1 vote for member of the year from me. Nice work there, chief.