LCVG

NPD Sales - September 2006

Romier S

Only hardware available at the moment. I will update with software sales as soon as they are available...

Game Boy Advance - 177,145

GameCube - 42,286

Nintendo DS - 403,435

PlayStation 2 - 306,517

PlayStation Portable - 153,353

Xbox - 6,495

Xbox 360 - 259,458

Bow before the beast that is the Nintendo DS.:)

Top ten by units:

PS2 MADDEN NFL 07 506k

360 SAINTS ROW 455k

PS2 LEGO STAR WARS II: THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY 349k

NDS POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: BLUE RESCUE TEA 285k

GBA POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: RED RESCUE TEAM 219k

360 MADDEN NFL 07 218k

GCN LEGO STAR WARS II: THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY 170k

XBX MADDEN NFL 07 166k

NDS STAR FOX COMMAND 137k

NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS 134k

Does a lot of the PS2 market transact with used games? Because you'd almost expect the PS2 to to hold most of the top 10 games every month with that installed base, but somehow games like Saints Row pop in there. It would be interesting to see a ratio of software to installed base for each of these devices and an analysis of that. I've just never understood it. I mean, if the PS2 sells more than the 360 does right now, on top of their existing installed base, I don't know, it doesn't make sense why you'd even publish an exclusive game on the 360 at all. Yet there are success stories like Saints Row.

Does a lot of the PS2 market transact with used games? Because you'd almost expect the PS2 to to hold most of the top 10 games every month with that installed base, but somehow games like Saints Row pop in there. It would be interesting to see a ratio of software to installed base for each of these devices and an analysis of that. I've just never understood it. I mean, if the PS2 sells more than the 360 does right now, on top of their existing installed base, I don't know, it doesn't make sense why you'd even publish an exclusive game on the 360 at all. Yet there are success stories like Saints Row.

PS2 MADDEN NFL 07 506k

that's pretty much all you need to know there. :)

The most popular franchise on Earth on the console with the largest installed base on earth has only marginally better sales than Saints Row on the 360. I would think there would be a much larger discrepency.

Madden may be the most popular franchise in the US, but the other 94% of the world do not share your assertion. If we're looking at worldwide sales of popular franchises (sports and non-sports), the Final Fantasy series has the edge over Madden (63 million+ vs. 51 million+ to date). Even FIFA 2006 outsold Madden NFL 2006 on the PS2 platform (3.73 million vs. 3.50 million). But I digress....

I am one of those who own a PS2 and have never purchased a Madden title, and have no plans of doing so. I did support the NFL 2K franchise by purchasing every installment that was on the PS2; the NFL's exclusivity deal with EA ensured that I have nothing to do with either (I've since moved on to the English Premier League). While it's safe to assume that some of those previously attached to NFL 2K were assimilated into Madden's fold after the exclusivity deal, quite a few of us shunned/boycotted Madden for this very reason. After reaching a high of 4.08 million units sold for 2004, sales have hovered around 3.5 million for each of the past two years. Part of the decline may be attributed to some consumers migrating to the 360 platform, but I suspect that some users are becoming increasingly disenchanted with the lack of new additions/features delivered and expected from a $50 title.

There may be a lot of PS2 consoles out there, but the list of games, both new and old, to choose from is just as extensive. Madden may receive most of the attention in the month of August, but there are other equally deserving titles vying for consumer dollars during the same sales period. Also, as consumers brace for the introduction of the PS3 and Wii, it's safe to assume that in the months leading up to their respective launches, some PS2 consumers are beginning to curtail their PS2 budgets in anticipation of one/both consoles.