LCVG

Bully (PS2 / Wii / 360)

AnthonyVolpe

On Wednesday, Florida Judge Ronald Friedman ordered Take-Two to produce the controversial game Bully for review in order to rule whether or not the game is a "public nuisance," as declared by attorney Jack Thompson. Friedman said he was willing to review the game for 100 hours or more, but apparently a couple hours were all he needed.

Friedman will not prohibit the sale of Bully in Florida. He viewed the game for two hours, with Take-Two representatives jumping around the game for him with cheat codes, and came to the conclusion there is nothing in the game that a child cannot see on TV every night. Thompson, who recently told the Washington Post he's "pretty sure that the game is harmful to minors," was apparently angry with the judge's ruling.

In an email to GamePolitics.com, Thompson said: "The judge never viewed the entire game, as he promised he would. He took unsworn testimony from 2 Take-Two employees, with no right by me to cross-examine.

"?I am a Christian. I am not charged with winning these battles; I am charged with fighting them. I have done the right thing. When kids start showing up in ERs with slingshot wounds at the hands of Bully enthusiasts, don't blame me."

Idiot.

Yep, score another one for mental derangement. I like that the judge humoured Thompson and then it was F-U to him. Like he'd play through the whole 40+ hours the game is supposed to last.

Oh well, I'm hoping this one turns out to be as good as it looks, because it loooks mighty cool.

Picked up my copy today, reviews on Metacritic have all been quite positive, so I figure what the hell. Also, those of you in Canada looking to give this a shot, FutureShop is selling this until tomorrow at a $20 discount, which rings it up at $39.99, none too shabby. :tu

Im a sucker for collectors editions, so I picked up Bully Special Edition. While it said that it came with a dodgeball, I had NO idea it was a full sized dodgeball!

I played for about half an hour last night while Live was down, and enjoyed every minute of it. Some great humor, and overall a lot of fun. Apparently there is some time released stuff in the game as well. I was reading that people had Halloween decorations and a special halloween mission show up last night.

I've been playing this quite a bit, it's pretty addictive. It's nice to have a laid-back GTA-style game from Rockstar that's in a completely fresh universe, so it doesn't feel like the same thing you've already done before. The combat system is also pretty intuitive, except for a few occasions where locking on gets difficult.

I don't think the Halloween stuff is based on the system clock though, as some of the core story missions revolve around it. But it is a pretty neat timing of the game's release.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thoroughly enjoying it too, finally got a couple of hours to play last night. It's easy to learn, straightforward mechanics introduced slowly, and the environment is fun to play around in.

Ryan's comment on locking on is spot on though - it's the only frustrating thing about the combat so far. I like my headbutt move.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to tucking into this last night and this morning, man I really wish I'd gotten into it sooner. Lots of fun, and I really like the class system. Probably because the Art classes are Qix, and I love Qix, so... :D I got freakin' pummelled in dodgeball though. Stupid art imitating life!

The humor is pretty juvenile, but in a good way. The writing's nice and sharp though, "You may also have your pick of my wenches." was one line that got a good laugh out of me.

Agreed about the lock-on though, it's a pain when it hits the person you're trying to protect, which isn't somebody you'd be targeting with your slingshot anyway. My real problem is trying to work the skateboard, which I seem to have a lot of problems with.

And yes, the headbutt may be cool, but the leg sweep is much more fun ;).

Yeah, I also like that the lockerpicking is a lot less sensitive than other lockpicking games, in that you can be overturning by a bit and don't have to sweat it.

Oh, and I didn't mention it above, but isn't the soundtrack for this game just freakin' kick-ass? I rarely notice it in most games, but here it really stands out, I can see why the reviews all mentioned it :tu

• 4 months later...

Bully's coming to the Wii & 360... Here's the PR:

Rockstar Games announces Bully: Scholarship Edition for the Xbox 360™ and Wii™

New York, NY - July 19, 2007 - Rockstar Games is proud to announce that Bully: Scholarship Edition is coming to the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo this Winter.

Both the Wii and Xbox 360 versions will retain the wit and deep gameplay of the previously released PlayStation?2 computer entertainment system title and will boast additional new content. Bully: Scholarship Edition takes place in the fictional New England boarding school of Bullworth Academy, and tells the story of 15-year-old Jimmy Hopkins as he experiences the highs and lows of adjusting to a new school. Capturing the hilarity and awkwardness of adolescence perfectly, Bully: Scholarship Edition pulls the player into its cinematic and engrossing world. Universally acclaimed upon first release, Bully: Scholarship Edition is a genre-crossing action game with a warmth and pathos that is unrivaled.

Bully received a perfect "10/10" from Electronic Gaming Monthly and 1up.com and was heralded as "a great, well-crafted action game that has one of the best senses of humor around" by IGN.com. USA Today called it "a fantastic debut title by Rockstar Vancouver." The San Francisco Chronicle wrote "Bully has no shortage of creative energy, offering an immersive boarding school experience that is imaginative, funny and filled with surprises."

Come and explore the zealous joy, mirth, and torment of youth with Jimmy Hopkins and Bully: Scholarship Edition when enrollment commences this Winter.

For more information about Bully: Scholarship Edition please visit http://www.rockstargames.com/bully.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...