LCVG

PSP recommendations?

Solitice

Well I just couldn't resist any longer, I saw a PSP for really cheap and pulled the trigger. I basically bought it to play Ultimate Ghosts and goblins but would like to ask you guys if there is any other "must haves" I should try to track down for it. I haven't really followed the PSP at all so I'm pretty much as nube as you can get. So what can be done with these things?

My favs:

Hot Shots Golf - best golf game around, if you can get past the Japanese 'cutsie' look, it plays a rock solid superb game of golf - $20 new.

Lego Star Wars 2 - great conversion, some loading times, but utterly playable.

Wipeout Pure - great futuristic racer, nice & cheap - $20 new.

Loco Roco - sidescrolling puzzler with physics style gameplay. Not a long game, but really addictive, cute & fun.

OutRun 2 - another great conversion that's perfectly formed for the PSP.

Syphon Filter - best action game on the PSP. 3rd person, with a control scheme designed really well for the PSP.

Dogbert's list is good. I'd add Lumines and Xmen Legends II (although ultimate alliance is just around the corner).

PLus, I know you'lll want to check out the homebrew scene. How big of a memeory stick did you get. 1 gig's are practically almsot free these days, and I think there was a 4 gig for under a hundred earlier this week.

Yea I agree with most of the recommendations already listed here -

Daxter is a Great platformer - solid gameplay, great graphics and almost 0 load times

WipEout - beautiful racers/tracks and quick gameplay

Loco Roco is a Great quirky game - feels like a game you would normally get on DS

GTA: LCS or wait for GTA: VCS - Amazing if you like the GTA series at all - Unbelievable simply because everything from GTA on the PS2 is in there on a portable system

Syphon Filter - This is a great one and I can't recommend it enough. Awesome action game like the older Syphon Filter games on PS1 or the Metal Gear series and better than the PS2 SF game By Far.

I would also recommend you get one of the compilation packs: Sega Genesis, Capcom Classics, Midway Arcade Etc. They are great on road trips for having lots of games without having to swap discs.

I have sampled PSP's finest in the last couple months via Gamefly. Here are my impressions:

Loco Roco: Not for everyone. Once the cutesy music and environments wear off, you're left with very simplistic gameplay. I got bored after about a half hour.

Wipe Pure and GTA: Word to the wise. If you don't love a game genre, you won't suddenly like it because its on a really small screen. Consider this please. It will save you some money.

Daxter: Really well done. I'll sell it to you!

Lumines: Outstanding.

Field Commander: If you like Advance Wars and are itching for a clone, this was well done.

Virtua Tennis: Excellent reviews. But I found I only like playing this type of game against a person. I'll sell you mine.

Loco Roco: Not for everyone. Once the cutesy music and environments wear off, you're left with very simplistic gameplay. I got bored after about a half hour.

Simple controls <> simplistic gameplay. Super Mario could just run and jump, after all. I respect the fact that you got bored with the game but characterizing the gameplay as simplistic is misleading. It's anything but, even from the very first level but especially on the later ones (and the ice levels are very tricky).

Wipe Pure and GTA: Word to the wise. If you don't love a game genre, you won't suddenly like it because its on a really small screen. Consider this please. It will save you some money.

Yeah, I fell into this trap with Wipeout. Great looking game with superb controls but it turns out I don't really dig futuristic racers. Oh well.