LCVG

Introducing.... Darkplace

Many, by which I mean none, of you have been inquisitive to ask me about the history of the obscure quotation of dialogue at the tail end of all my posts. I can exclusively reveal now that it stems from an ingenious television series that aired in 2004 entitled Garth Marenghi?s Darpklace.

It?s taken two very long years for Darkplace to finally come to DVD, partly on account of the channel that produced and aired it spitting on it like some deprived bastard child after only four people tuned in to watch the series. Despite that it?s really one of the funniest television shows produced in Britain in the past decade.

Darkplace is set up as six recovered episodes of a ?lost? television series from the 80s, a drama/horror series set in a hospital built upon the Hellmouth ? all the brainchild of best selling horror author Garth Marenghi. Although at first glance the joke of shoddy acting, music and effects might ware thing, nothing could actually be further from the truth, which is perhaps greatest testament to its brilliance. Darkplace is just so lovingly crafted by its creators (its real creators, not its fictional ones) and the DVD itself is no different.

I should perhaps stop waffling on and offer up a link to all of the 2nd episode:

There are additional clips on Youtube, but I am reluctant to post them as they?re all even funnier when seen within the context of the full episodes.

Garth?s official website:

http://www.garthmarenghi.com/

If any of you are getting the giggles from any of this I strongly advise importing the Region2 DVD that was released here in the UK today.

Having seen this series, I can testify to its awesomeness, and will definitely be importing the DVD. It was shown on Sci-Fi earlier this year, but I'm not sure if they're still running it. Also, Dean Learner's Man to Man (a fake talk show) will apparently start airing this Friday on Channel 4. Since Dean Learner/Richard Ayoade was one of my favorite parts of the show, it should be fantastic.

"I just think it's very sad that we had to pixelate out the Eye Monster's erection. I think it's pathetic. Everybody in the world's got one. I could have one right now."

Having seen this series, I can testify to its awesomeness, and will definitely be importing the DVD. It was shown on Sci-Fi earlier this year, but I'm not sure if they're still running it. Also, Dean Learner's Man to Man (a fake talk show) will apparently start airing this Friday on Channel 4. Since Dean Learner/Richard Ayoade was one of my favorite parts of the show, it should be fantastic.

Garth is Dean's guest on the first show too. Each week Matthew Holness will play a different guest. I'm hoping it will be a lot of fun as I too am very fond of the Dean Learner character. He's a truly inspired creation whether it be his style, his acting, his desire to be seen randomly firing guns...

?Look out. He?s got a stick!?

The commentary tracks on the Darkplace DVD are in-character incidentally (Dean, Garth and Todd). There are some moments of brilliance in most of the commentary recordings, though the best extra on the DVD is the full version of One Track Lover. There are some isolated score cues on the menus too which I welcome with open arms. The series genuinely had some superb music composed for it (?based on the melodies originally whistled by Garth Marenghi). I can't ever seem get over how beautifully crafted it all is. What's more it's a modern rarity in British television having been shot on film instead of digibeta graded to look like film (though the 1994 interview segments are shot on tape).

I can't ever seem get over how beautifully crafted it all is. What's more it's a modern rarity in British television having been shot on film instead of digibeta graded to look like film (though the 1994 interview segments are shot on tape).
Yeah, it's really amazing how well they nailed the horrible 80's-ness of it all, from the look of things, down to the acting, special effects, and music. I swear, there was some terribly-produced series we used to watch in grade school that was some kind of science fiction show that was supposed to teach you about libraries, and it was almost exactly like this (though not as violent).

Also, I couldn't find it on Sci-Fi's schedule, but their page for it is still up, including the entire first episode which you can watch online. So now you've got no excuse not to watch it if you haven't already. If you still don't like it, what can I say other than "You're a fool! You're a fool! You're a fool! You're a fool! You're a bloody fool!".

I enjoyed the first episode of Man to Man with Dean Learner. Highlights included a tv spot for a single volume compilation of all 400+ books Garth Maranghi has written entitled ‘The Oeuvre’ but nothing bettered a clip shown from Garth’s new film entitled War of the Wasps – his allegorical rendering of a potential future war with the Dutch.

• 1 month later...

Man to Man with Dean Learner finished this evening. It wasn’t a bad series, though certainly hit and miss, and nothing near the level of Darkplace. The interviews were never the best moments. Instead, the video sketches served to be the most amusing and memorable (particularly one of Dean’s own take on The Apprentice).

I managed to find that wonderful War of the Wasps sequence from the first episode on Youtube though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VJCOgTQv4k