LCVG

GameTap - The Discussion Thread

dogbert

So is anyone actively using GameTap at the moment? I'm contemplating joining for two reasons - the upcoming release of Sam & Max combined with their new upfront discount on a year's subscription ($60 for a year, basically).

I know to cancel it takes a phonecall, but I'm curious how people are getting on with the system in general.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig it. I signed up on a lark a few months ago during some special promotion and I've honestly found myself using it much more than I thought. In fact, it takes up the vast majority of my PC gaming time these days.

YMMV depending on your taste in games (which I know from your posts to be deep and esoteric :)) If you're a fan of the lost art of adventure gaming, it's a keeper. It's the easiest way, I've found, to go back and play the old Sierra greats without having to worry about DOS emulation, etc. And Sam & Max is reason enough alone.

Console emulation also seems rather solid, although I haven't dabbled much in emulators so I don't have a good frame of reference. Still preferable to play on the actual console but, then again, you don't have to drag them out of the closet and blow the dust off them when you use GameTap.

I've never had any real technical difficulties with the service -- and I expected some, to be honest. At $5 per month, it's well worth it IMO.

I've been on GameTap for about 4 months now and I love it - Sam N Max is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. There are alot of great Sega/Arcade/PC/Etc games available on GameTap now and all through a single interface. My feeling is that its the equivalent of Live Marketplace but, all content is included with the $9 monthly subscripton. No real problems here either with the exception of widescreen support. The game will run in a stretched mode but, won't scale natively to widescreen. Other than that I recommend it highly.

D'oh, and of course all the bloody Sierra titles would be the ones not available in Canada. May hold off until they straighten that shit out, as replaying a bunch of the King's and Space Quests would be another good reason to pick up the service.

Maybe everybody else already knows, but I just stumbled across this ($22.99 at amazon.ca), and this(strangely not available at amazon.ca) ... and hey, while you're at it, why not a little of this($22.99 at amazon.ca).

Yeah, the joy of GameTap, as I understand it, is no effing around with emulators and shit. The Sierra collections (also available at our local EB's, Ron) are just emulated using DOSBox, which is not much more than a stopgap solution. And you could probably toss in a 'slapdash' there for good measure :P.

Damn thats awesome... Silent Hill 2 alone is worth the $9.99 :)

Edit: Haven't found Silent Hill 2 in there yet but, did find several others not flagged as new although I never saw them in there before...

Planescape: Torment :) (need I say more)

Baldur's Gate 2 (BG1 has been in for some time)

Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (sweeeeet)

Zork: Nemesis (not great but was fun)

So with all the stuff already in there and now these new additions - Try GameTap if you haven't yet. Its my Live Arcade for PC

Is Uru any good?

More additions to GameTap - various older Tony Hawk & other Activision 'extreme sports' games, plus it appears Codemasters have signed up with the addition of Colin McRae & Sensi Soccer 2006.

More importantly for me, installed the client on my wife's laptop and it appears to be working great. Been playing Cannon Fodder (legally) while the wife watches Grey's Anatomy. I get brownie points for not sitting upstairs on the computer. I get to continue to play games. I likes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...