LCVG

Ever had Sinus Surgery?

BdoUK

For about eight years now I have struggled with major sinus related issues. Last year I went to my ENT to get a recommendation on what I could do to help alleviate some of these sinus issues. After a sinus scan it was apparent that I have a highly deviated septum (my Dr. said it was on of the worst he has ever seen).

Obviously my doctor recommended surgery, but I am a bit hesitant. Life is very hectic right now (full-time worker and part-time MBA student) so I don't know if I can afford to take a few weeks for recovery. However I am getting very tired of these constant sinus infections that seem to pop up every few months.

Has anyone had sinus surgery and if so how was the recovery? The only "surgery" I have had was to have my wisdom teeth removed and I didn't find that experience to be bad at all.

However I am getting very tired of these constant sinus infections that seem to pop up every few months.

That pretty much says it all.

While I haven't had the surgery, it's an extremely common one and I wouldn't be worried much about recovery. You'll be up and getting things done within a day or two.

I had a pollip removed that caused many sinus related problems. I also had my septum corrected all laser surgery. I went it early in the morning and came out at night. A couple of days of recovery.

The "laser" part is the good thing... You can still breath and the pain is very tolerable unlike the old times (my aunt had one as well back in the 70-80's and she had some painful stories)

After the surgery, I could sleep better, I didn't feel as tired. My allergies problems were reduced.

I say go for it... Give yourself a good week just in case any problems arise. But I think a good 3-4 day weekend ought to do it. What did the Dr. say?

I say go for it... Give yourself a good week just in case any problems arise. But I think a good 3-4 day weekend ought to do it. What did the Dr. say?

The Dr. said I should be fully recovered in 1-2 weeks. He said going back to work after a week would be fine.

If I could go the laser route I think I would. I got the impression from the Dr. that they use the old fashioned method here. I work for the University of Kentucky so my insurance is through their HMO so I'm not certain of the options I would have in regards to the type of surgical method used.

I never had experience with them myself, but a coworker had pollips removed from his sinuses a few years ago. He had a huge deadline to complete by year end for an accounting system change, so he wasn't able to take off the full recovery time. Anyway, not trying to scare you, but when he came in to work a few days after surgery, it looked like he had two tampons shoved up his nose. The little strings of the bandages were hanging out each nostril and were taped to the bridge of his nose. And it looked like someone popped him in both eyes. He was pretty miserable looking.

My sister is going for this surgery in about a month. If you can wait until then, I'll post how it went.

Thanks James. I am not planning on having the surgery until next summer. It looks like complications are very rare but then again any type of surgery makes me nervous.

My wife, girlfriend at the time, had sinus surgery on November 14, 2001. I remember this day very well because I was inline for my original Xbox and not at home with her that evening. Yes I still hear about it to this day, my response to her everytime its brought up is that it was her own fault for scheduling her surgery on the day of a major console launch.

I have had 2 sinus surgeries... The first one in 1992 and the second one in 1998 (I think).

I think it is worth it - Before the first one, I could not even breathe through my nose anymore...

The second one - I was having recurring infections again, and they cleaned things out better that time.

Recovery wasn't fun - but it wasn't that long. I did take a plane flight the day after my second surgery. I wouldn't recommend it.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well just got back from my sinus surgery and so far I feel pretty good. I've got a bit of bleeding but that should stop in the next few hours or so. In a week I have to go back and get the splints removed but right now I can't feel any pain in my nose.

I'll give a full report next week after the splints are out. I have a feeling the pain and swelling will increase in the coming days but I'm hoping it isn't too bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Well 2.5 weeks after the surgery I'm feeling great. Best decision I ever made. I really wish I had the surgery earlier but it's good to have it out of the way.

The recovery was no big deal at all. Having the splints shoved up there for a week wasn't fun but there wasn't any pain, just congestion. Once they were removed I could tell a marked difference in my ability to breathe.

I've also been sleeping much better since the surgery. I can finally blow my nose now (before the deviated septum would block all the lovely mucus).

While each person will respond to the surgery in a different way, my results were totally positive and I'm estatic at the improvement in my quality of life.