LCVG

Sony's Playstation 3 Discussion Pre-launch Discussion

MrJames

Sony's next conference is taking place to tomorrow and with the Japanese gaming press taking delivery of PS3 demo units we should be getting quite a bit of info.

So far...

PS3 Multimedia Details

One concern in reading about the playback of external files is that they only mention reading from a PSP. I hope it will be able to stream off of a networked PC.

PSM video podcast with PS3 hands-on

ps3_14_1161119322.jpg

ps3_18_1161117776.jpg

ps3_11_1161118130.jpg

ps3_12_1161118483.jpg

ps3_13_1161118736.jpg

ps3_09_1161119057.jpg

ps3_06_1161120058.jpg

ps3_05_1161120431.jpg

ps3_10_1161117497.jpg

ps3_04_1161120933.jpg

**ADMIN NOTE**

First part of the thread can be found here:

Sony's Playstation 3 discussion Part I

Previous Playstation 3 threads are available here:

Sony Playstation 3 Pre-E3 Conference Thread

Sony's Playstation 3 Pre-E3 Conference Thread Part II

Playstation 3 Information Thread

Playstation 3 Information Part II

Sony Announces BluRay for PS3

Sony Playstation 3 Discussion/Information Part III

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hearing a lot about how Sony doesn't have a name for their online component. And that their reasoning is that "online" is just a feature of the system that simply doesn't warrant calling in name or as a separate for-cost service.

I have to say, I completely agree with them in the long term. Way back when XBlive launched, back then, my first thought was that eventually online would be a feature of games that we took for granted, that we expected, and that we expect as the norm like buttons on controllers.

So I think Sony is incredibly forward looking here and on target. I also think they are ahead of their time though. The XBL team has been working hard for years, and they are still clearly in their infancy. There are so many integration, technical, interface, and inevitable features that just aren't there or adequate at the moment (As great as it is, and I think it is great).

So Microsoft is probably a half decade away from really making the online component of their product be an integral part of their product in the way that the "controller" is. They have a ways to go and some of that has to do with broadband penetration, consumer awareness, etc...

So Sony's perspective on the matter is before its time since most people would agree that if Microsoft is in their infancy, Sony is just a zygote. And although perhaps I am making an observation about a philosophy or marketing message coming from Sony, and not so much a tangible criticism about their actual product at all, my statement really has no teeth.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud. And am very curious as to the practical details surrounding the PS3's online features. Aren't those supposed to be revealed today, or tomorrow or sometime soon?

Non replaceable batteries in the SIXAXIS?[/qUOTE]

Argh, that's really stupid.

As for the online discussion...I think it's also important to note that by definition, Microsoft is a software company and Sony is primarily a hardware company. I would think it would take Sony even longer to catch up with Microsoft in this arena, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Argh, that's really stupid.

As for the online discussion...I think it's also important to note that by definition, Microsoft is a software company and Sony is primarily a hardware company. I would think it would take Sony even longer to catch up with Microsoft in this arena, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

I'm not so sure Sony is behind in terms of being a software company by a ton, as they have been doing online gaming since 1995 with their SOE division. Evercrack is still considered to be one of the greatest successes in online gaming to this day. They're definitely not noobs to the whole scene. Will they fuck it up, though? Eh, it's very very possible seeing what they've done with Star Wars Galaxies and Everquest II.

I'm not so sure Sony is behind in terms of being a software company by a ton, as they have been doing online gaming since 1995 with their SOE division....They're definitely not noobs to the whole scene.

....not to mention that Sony Japan's online unit, Sony Communication Network, operates So-Net, an ISP and portal, in Japan (So-Net's case study is an interesting read).

The other PS3 thread was getting pretty sizeable. I moved some of the final posts here and started the new pre-launch thread you see here. There are links to the past PS3 discussions in the first post of this thread. Thanks.

Also, the UI comparison discussion was moved to its proper thread right here:

http://www.lcvg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9728

If you want to continue discussing Sony's interface or Sony's online service (backend or frontend) continue to do it here. If you want to argue the merits of the 360 dashboard in comparison to the XMB please follow the link to the above thread. Thanks.

Press release

Sony Computer Entertainment America Announces Extensive Line Up of Game Titles for PLAYSTATION®3

Thursday October 19, 5:00 pm ET

Online Platform, Downloadable Content and Peripherals Also Revealed

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Oct. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced its debut game titles and unveiled the online strategy for its highly anticipated PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3) system, the company's groundbreaking computer entertainment system which will be available in North America on November 17, 2006.

More than 20 first- and third-party PS3 titles will be available through the holidays, resulting in the most robust software line-up ever offered by a new console at launch. The launch catalog encompasses the most popular game genres, featuring industry leading franchises as well as new intellectual properties to be released exclusively on PS3, with most titles expected to retail under $60.

"Our line-up of PS3 games that will be available through the holidays is unprecedented in terms of volume, variety and innovation, surpassing any previous competitive launch catalog and even our own original offerings for other PlayStation? platforms," said Kaz Hirai, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America. "We are pioneering a new era of true next-generation gaming through such titles as Resistance: Fall of Man, a visually arresting game that takes advantage of the large storage capacity and exceptional visual clarity offered by Blu-ray Disc (BD); and NBA 07, running at full 1080p for the highest resolution image possible, creating hyper-realistic characters and gameplay never seen before."

The List of Launch Window Titles Includes:

SCEA Launch Titles

Resistance: Fall of Man

NBA 07

Genji: Days of the Blade

Third Party Publisher Titles*

Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII Ubisoft

Call of Duty?3 Activision

EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 Electronic Arts

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Bethesda Softworks

F.E.A.R. Vivendi Universal Games

Full Auto2: Battlelines Sega

Madden NFL 07 Electronic Arts

MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE Activision

Mobile Suit Gundam?: CROSSFIRE NAMCO BANDAI Games

NBA 2K7 2K Sports

Need For Speed Carbon Electronic Arts

NHL? 2K7 2K Sports

RIDGE RACER? 7 NAMCO BANDAI Games

Sonic the Hedgehog Sega

Tiger Woods PGA Tour? 07 Electronic Arts

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six? Vegas Ubisoft

Tony Hawk's Project 8 Activision

Untold Legends Dark Kingdom Sony Online Entertainment

PLAYSTATION? Network Offers Unrestrained Community and Creativity

In addition to a wide array of software titles, SCEA today also unveiled the online and network services provided through PS3, which will offer distinctive benefits to consumers and developers alike. Consumers will be able to enjoy a wide array of PS3 network capabilities, with basic features offered absolutely free from day one. Developers will benefit from the open platform policy of SCEA, which will allow them more freedom and creativity in the development of their games and online/network services. The end result will be more than just a place to play games, but a rich online environment with strong community aspects as distinctive as the titles themselves.

The entry way into PLAYSTATION Network is XMB (Xross Media Bar), which is the navigation system that enables a complete suite of entertainment experiences in three key areas: gaming; network and web connectivity; and other entertainment contents such as movies and music. The intuitive XMB interface, which is already featured on more than 20 million PSP? (PlayStation? Portable) shipped worldwide, allows PS3 users to experience multiplayer games across the network; communicate with other players via chat, voice or video; browse the web; download gaming content; store/view pictures and video; download and listen to music; and shop online.

Through the online PLAYSTATION? Store, consumers can find such items as game demos, game-related content and downloadable casual games, including titles developed by Sony Computer Entertainment World Wide Studios exclusively for download and play only on PS3, such as Blast Factor. Once users create a unique, secure PlayStation profile, they cannot only communicate with other PS3 users, they can also utilize an electronic wallet to purchase content in the PLAYSTATION Store. Downloadable first party games will cost less than $15 at launch. More content will be added on a regular basis.

Peripherals to Accompany Comprehensive PS3 Package

PS3 is an incredible value for the consumer and comes standard with advanced technologies, such as the Cell Broadband Engine, built-in BD player, internal hard disk drive (HDD), HDMI output standard*, Wireless Controller (SIXAXIS) and network capability -- everything required to start enjoying the PS3 right out of the box. SCEA offers a 20GB HDD PS3 system for $499 and a 60GB HDD unit for $599, which includes built-in Wi-Fi connectivity (60GB HDD model only). To further highlight the power of PS3's BD player, the Company also announced today that packed in with the first half million PS3 systems shipped in North America will be one of this summer's biggest blockbuster hits from Sony Pictures Entertainment, "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby," starring Will Farrell. "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" will be sold separately in stores nationwide beginning December 12, 2006.

"As the industry leader, SCEA has always offered comprehensive entertainment systems that stand the test of time," said Kaz Hirai. "The PS3 system features technologies that are truly next-generation. With so much packed into our system, we're confident that the PS3 will be just as 'future-proof' as our other PlayStation products, allowing consumers to enjoy a myriad of digital entertainment content for many years to come."

Beyond the standard PS3 system package, SCEA also announced today the roster of peripherals that will accompany the arrival of PS3. The peripherals that will be available in North America on day one will include separately sold Wireless Controller (SIXAXIS), available for $49.99, a Memory Card Adaptor for transferring game save information from PlayStation? and PlayStation?2 Memory Cards onto the HDD of PS3 for $14.99, and coming soon, a BD Remote Control for $24.99.

About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation? and PS one game console, the PlayStation?2 computer entertainment system, the PSP? (PlayStation?Portable) system and the upcoming, much-anticipated PLAYSTATION?3 system.

Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and develops, publishes, markets and distributes software for the PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and the PSP system for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif. Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Visit us on the Web at http://www.playstation.com.

NOTE: All game titles are trademarked by their respective owners. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector. Video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold separately. Use of the PLAYSTATION? Network is subject to terms of use: http://www.us.playstation.com/termsofuse , and applicable privacy policy. Children under 18 will require parental consent. Broadband internet service is required (sold separately). Some broadband services may not work with the PLAYSTATION? Network and performance may vary. PLAYSTATION? Network may not be available in all regions and certain content or services may not be available to children under 13. Features and offerings of the PLAYSTATION? Network may change without notice. For more information, please visit http://www.us.playstation.com/termsofuse .

Source: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

The List of Launch Window Titles Includes:

SCEA Launch Titles

Resistance: Fall of Man

NBA 07

Genji: Days of the Blade

Third Party Publisher Titles*

Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII Ubisoft

Call of Duty?3 Activision

EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 Electronic Arts

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Bethesda Softworks

F.E.A.R. Vivendi Universal Games

Full Auto2: Battlelines Sega

Madden NFL 07 Electronic Arts

MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE Activision

Mobile Suit Gundam?: CROSSFIRE NAMCO BANDAI Games

NBA 2K7 2K Sports

Need For Speed Carbon Electronic Arts

NHL? 2K7 2K Sports

RIDGE RACER? 7 NAMCO BANDAI Games

Sonic the Hedgehog Sega

Tiger Woods PGA Tour? 07 Electronic Arts

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six? Vegas Ubisoft

Tony Hawk's Project 8 Activision

Untold Legends Dark Kingdom Sony Online Entertainment

That's really rather decent.

A few tidbits...

- Composite video cable as standard pack-in

- Talladega Nights will be included with first 500K PS3 systems

- Motorstorm demo will be available on 11/17 (No word on price if any)

- Web browser demo visited Youtube and played the Kaz Hirai "Riiiiiidge Racer" clip

- First party games will be $59.99

- PS3 can stream content to PSP

- SIXAXIS controller supports 30 hours of battery life per charge, 20 meter range

Talladega Nights on Blu-ray is going to look incredible connected to new 1080p set with composite.

Talladega Nights will be included with first 500K PS3 systems

Odd choice. The Blu Ray release is 50gb and, more to the point, an unrated edition of the movie. Are we to assume then they’re going to run off half a million 50gb discs of this and freely package uncut and unrated content with a console - or might it be a limited 25gb packaging of the rated version? (which hasn’t been announced as getting an individual release on BD).

Talladega Nights on Blu-ray is going to look incredible connected to new 1080p set with composite.

:) Funny one MrJames

Well I have to say I'm glad we're finally seeing good information come out on the PS3. I am personally not going after one at launch or probably anytime this year but, it is looking more and more like a system I will get later. There aren't too many system exclusives or any specific features that appeal to me personally (including Blu Ray) and certainly nothing that justifies the price for me but, maybe after a discount next year or sometime... :)

Apart from flash-based sneaker-net, that web browser is the only other way to get media into the Playstation 3. Unlike the Xbox 360, which includes a well-thought out media adapter, Sony's console will not stream, nor copy files from PCs or other computers in the home. That's shortsighted, especially as Sony makes some of the best media-savvy PCs available. The lack of support for Apple's Rendezvous, Microsoft's Windows Media Connect, SlimServer, Twonkyvision or any of the DLNA protocols makes the PS3 its own media island at home. Although users will be able to rip music to the PS3's hard drive, the inability to play nice with other devices makes the Playstation 3 less useful in the connected home.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2034328,00.asp

:td I hope this functionality is added via firmware upgrade. I guess it could be done by homebrew in Linux but I don't know how complicated that will be.

Wow, that is one feature that I think is really a huge plus on the 360. Nothing like being able to stream music to the 360. Ripping music to your Console HD is so Last-Gen. :)

-Dean-

Honestly, I could give a rats ass about the ancillary things it can do. I want it to play next gen games and for the Blu Ray. I hope they focused on perfectingthose things.

I guess Sony really is clueless. Claiming users are required to buy accessories for the 360 to use the system on one of there Fact Sheets given out yesterday during there PS3 conference

It mentions that MS is contemplating a lawsuit...If I were them, I would be all over it. As much as they get sued, why not go after Sony for putting out such bullshit claims.

-Dean-