LCVG

Torchwood (Doctor Who spin off)

Fellow LCVG Whovians, I?m thrilled to report that Torchwood is thoroughly entertaining. BBC ran the first two episodes back to back this evening. The acting is a little wonky, as are parts of the direction (and the first episode suffers somewhat by the Russell T Davis script), but thus far it?s proving far more hit than miss compared to series two of Doctor Who. They?ve put far more thought into the whole thing than I expected, and there are already subtle and not so subtle nods and links to Doctor Who?

Jack has the hand Tennant?s doctor lost in the Christmas Invasion and is preserving it for some unknown reason. There?s a nice nod to one of the Who themes, not the main theme, but the one Murray Gold wrote for the Who series return, during one scene which made me smile

The music is excellent too, far more consistent and orchestral than Doctor Who has been, the photography thought is rather disappointing. Still, this is great Sunday night adult entertainment.

Those who are going to seek out the episodes on newsgroups might want to go after rips of the BBC HD broadcasts that also went out this evening.

Fellow LCVG Whovians, I?m thrilled to report that Torchwood is thoroughly entertaining. BBC ran the first two episodes back to back this evening. The acting is a little wonky, as are parts of the direction (and the first episode suffers somewhat by the Russell T Davis script), but thus far it?s proving far more hit than miss compared to series two of Doctor Who. They?ve put far more thought into the whole thing than I expected, and there are already subtle and not so subtle nods and links to Doctor Who?

:happy

(Searching for something to say other than WOOOO ...)

Forgive my atrocious lack of historical knowledge, but have they ever done another spin-off from Doctor Who?

K-9 had a VERY short lived spin-off decades ago. Can't think of any others unless you count the charity spin-off episodes (one had Richard E Grant as the doctor). Don't think the K-9 series made it beyond one episode. They're doing a Sarah Jane spin-off series for kids soon which I am sure will involve K-9 though..

Watched the first two episodes of Torchwood and I'm liking it! I find it kindof like MIB meets X-files with just a touch of CSI. I also like the surprise that Jack has had happen to him...makes things more interesting for sure!

Now I noticed that the CBC in Canada is helping with the costs of Torchwood, so I wonder when there going to run it over here in Canada? As for seeing if Sci-fi channel will get Torchwood....I don't know if they will or not....there going to need alot of censoring to beable to play it on that channel! any thoughts?

Right, well I am done with Torchwood. This evening’s episode was too much. It was the most dreadful and amateurish piece of shit that encapsulated so many of the things that have bugged me in the first two series’ of Doctor Who, and seemingly multiplies them by what feels like infinity. The whole thing has just snowballed into dire fan fiction and their instance on taking a show with such poor production values so seriously has just left it an unintentionally hilarious mess.

• 10 months later...

Looking back over my posts in this thread, I stand by the way my feelings toward the series changed radically as it progressed. By episodes three and four when it dawns on you that they’re not actually being playfully ironic in trying to play up to the more “adult” audience it goes downhill fast, taking itself far, far too seriously and coming off all the more ludicrous as a result. Honestly the Cyberwoman episode is one of the worst pieces of modern television I’ve ever seen (it was probably that episode I was referring to in my 11-06-2006 post above).

Looking back over my posts in this thread, I stand by the way my feelings toward the series changed radically as it progressed. By episodes three and four when it dawns on you that they?re not actually being playfully ironic in trying to play up to the more ?adult? audience it goes downhill fast, taking itself far, far too seriously and coming off all the more ludicrous as a result. Honestly the Cyberwoman episode is one of the worst pieces of modern television I?ve ever seen (it was probably that episode I was referring to in my 11-06-2006 post above).

Huh. I liked the cyberwoman episode. It leads more to the mystery of why Jack can't die and is the starting blocks for the relationship that jack starts with one of the Torchwood members. But I'm only Canadian..what do I know! :lol

I think for the sake of our own sanity it's best we don't argue about Doctor Who AND Torchwood as well... :) I don't know if series 2 of Torchwood begins here this year or not. I know they hit production delays. I'm willing to see how the first two episodes turn out on the off chance they picked up on some of the criticism from the first series and improved things. I just think they?d killed its potential mid series the last time round.

I think for the sake of our own sanity it's best we don't argue about Doctor Who AND Torchwood as well... :) I don't know if series 2 of Torchwood begins here this year or not. I know they hit production delays. I'm willing to see how the first two episodes turn out on the off chance they picked up on some of the criticism from the first series and improved things. I just think they?d killed its potential mid series the last time round.

I heard that it will be in your guys Spring lineup for 2008. I also heard that they starting it later because the character who plays Martha Jones will be joining Torchwood mid season for about 3 or 4 episodes before she returns to the Doctor in Season 4 mid season.

The Sara Jane Adventures also start this Monday night (September 24th) I kindof liked the pilot so I tune in when i can find a copy to watch! :D

• 5 months later...

Those B*st*rds!!! :eh

*shallows his pride here*

I won't be picking up the Blu Ray version of Torchwood Season one. Because I already spent $100 dollars getting the standard edition boxset from Amazon.ca in January.

Damn BBC loves to *censor* there small amount of fans in the *censor*! with there over priced boxsets! :( Wish I could find a nice British boy that would do the same thing! :P

Anyways I've seen all the episodes of season two so far and it's been really good this season! I mean wow! This season is so much better then the first season! This coming wednesday there will be a back to back episodes of Torchwood on BBC 3. Also I liked how Martha was promoted to not just a doctor but the doctor of

U.N.I.T

and how she out ranks Captain Jack!! LOL

But have no fear those of you who only watch Doctor Who. Martha being in Torchwood and her leaving Torchwood has nothing to do with the good doctor!! So you don't have to see it to she her return to the tardis in the summer!!

Course, I don't think she's going to be traveling with the doctor anymore though. She has

a major career job with U.N.I.T and a boyfriend too. The guy from the season finale of series 3 doctor who!

Anyways what's everybody else's take on Season Two of Torchwood so far?