LCVG

PSX = $719? That's a few bucks.

The Daisy

I don't see the point.

I've never been a big fan of the "all in one" type electronic devices ie. -(copier/scanner/printer/fax). If anything ever goes wrong with it (and lets face it, the PS2 never had a reputation of being the most stable console), instead of just losing one device, you lose the whole truckload.

If a blown circuit or a faulty chip caused me to lose a DVD recorder, Tivo, Satelite tuner and PS2 in one fell swoop, I'd have to be sedated :shock: !

I'm currently looking at Tivo-alikes that I can write a DVD from (mainly the Panasonic and Pioneer DVD+hard disk recorders), and they are all coming in at above what this will cost, so the price seems pretty reasonable to me. The PS2 bit is basically free anyway.

I think $599 is a reasonable guess for the US release.

My only concern with this device from a PVR & music media player is that Sony's track record on digital formats is atrocious. They don't like open formats like MP3 preferring you to use their own ATRAC and severely limiting your use of digital files with various digital rights management schemes. I'd be worried the PSX won't be nearly as format friendly as we'd all like.

• 2 weeks later...

"PSX: SONY UNVEILS US PRICING"

From ComputerandVideogames.com:

SNIP:

"Sony has announced that it plans to put PSX, its box-o'-gadgets that can play PSone and PS2 games and has TiVO-style functionality, onto the market in the US for less than $800 (about &pound475).

A precise price point has yet to be clarified, but comparisons are being drawn with PSX's release in Japan, where Sony plans to offer consumers a choice between two different models.

The baby of the pair, the DESR-5000, will retail in Japan at a US equivalent of $750 and will feature a 160Gb hard drive. The SESR-5000's bigger brother, the DESR-7000, will retail in Japan at a US equivalent of $907 and feature a 250Gb hard drive."

That's a loooot of money. Too much for me, I think. They also later bring up a very good point:

"But that's a fair old whack to splash out on a new machine, and if you wanted just the features rather than the hardware itself, you could pick up Sky Plus and a DVD Recorder for less, assuming you already owned a PS2 - which many of you will.

You'd probably get a better picture this way too, but of course it wouldn't look anywhere near as cool as PSX, and the mammoth hard drive in Sony's machine makes is an attractive proposition."

Sigh. I really hope the industry doesn't get too heavy into this. They are arbitrarily jacking up costs of the video game player I want by making these bloody combo devices with DVD players and mp3 players and garbage that I already have and work better than their stuff.

Games = game machine.

DVD player = DVD player.

The two should not meet, in my personal opinion. I'd rather save fifty bucks by losing the fancy garbage. Or, in this case, a few hundred bucks.

Sigh. I really hope the industry doesn't get too heavy into this. They are arbitrarily jacking up costs of the video game player I want by making these bloody combo devices with DVD players and mp3 players and garbage that I already have and work better than their stuff.

I agree with this statement 1000%. I already own a TiVo and a DVD-R drive that I paid a TON less for and will very likely work much better. The bigger hard drive is no interest to me, my hacked TiVo allows me to pull content off to my other machines in the house at will. My DVD-R drive is in an external firewire enclosure I can take anywhere.

What they are offering isn't even near a value for what you get. Though as long as this is an option, and not the rule, I guess it doesn't affect me much. Let the rich suckers buy into these deals!

Right now, I don't think we have to worry too much about the cost of gaming consoles. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft know that they can't charge too much for their systems because then they will severely limit the number of people who either can afford the system or are willing to shell out the cash to own it. Since they need a large userbase to make money off these consoles, that will in itself prevent them from turning every system into a PSX.

At least that's the way I see it.

I wouldn't mind one. From an ergonomics standpoint, one could sport a pretty fresh setup with just a nice HT receiver and at PSX. With that, you get a 5.1 system, an online game system, a DVD player, a PVR, a set-top box, a CD-player, an MP3 player/server, AND a DVD recorder. And it looks nice and clean - only two components.

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Oct 22 2003, 08:35 PM

Yeah, but then if one part blows your entire entertainment system is taken down in one fell swoop. Not my idea of the ideal proposition.

Perhaps, but think about all the other things that we take for granted these days. Look at your PC. If one component were to go bad, chances are you couldn't use the thing. If your receiver goes down, chances are you can't use your system since everything goes through it. If your TV goes down, you can't use your DVD player, TV, or Videogames since everything is dependent on it. I think it could be nice. I probably won't get one, but I can imagine a simple, clean setup with a PSX and receiver would be pretty classy.

Originally posted by stencil@Oct 23 2003, 01:37 PM

If your receiver goes down, chances are you can't use your system since everything goes through it.

Well, my receiver won't cost $719 if I need to replace it. Still, your point is well-taken with respect to other components (and people do have receivers that cost well in excess of $719 to replace).

Nevertheless, I'm not interested in going out of my way to buy a pricey consolidated device. In addition to the eggs-in-one-basket problem, upgrading can be difficult and expensive.

If I have the uberdevice and want to replace my PVR, for example, I can't get something new and put the old one in the spare bedroom (or whatever).

-j