LCVG

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - Details/Images and more

foogledricks

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm extremely cautious about GRAW 2. As much as I enjoy GRAW online I, like Covak mentioned before, am disgusted with its lack of any clan support and/or matchmaking system. Also the "sequal" if it is indeed a sequal seems to be rushed out. GRAW came out in what...March of 2006? So GRAW2 is potentially due to be released less than 1 year after? Whatever. Maybe this means another development team has been working on the sequal even before GRAW released.

Anyway there aren't any details on the game yet so it is a waste of my time to bother speculating about the game. I'm just saying I'm very skeptical and have no plans on purchasing this game until reviews are out and I hear from others about its multiplayer features.

Wouldn't you think it's more likely that AC and BIA just aren't ready yet?

Perhaps but the article suggests otherwise:

Of course, with all this good news came a smidgen of bad tidings. With GRAW 2 sliding into Q1 2007, two games were pushed back. In a statement, the company said, "[The launch of GRAW 2] will take the place of Assassin's Creed and Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway, which will now strengthen fiscal year 2007-08," which runs from April 2007 through March 2008.

• 1 month later...

IGN has a news story up with the official announcement for GRAW 2 including a group of images and videos:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/749/749813p1.html

Following its ground-breaking debut on Xbox 360 last spring, Red Storm Studios and Ubisoft Paris will bring the sequel to Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, GRAW2, to PC, PSP, PS3, and Xbox 360 in spring 2007 using new military tools, improved enemy AI, and advanced next-gen visuals.

After the Ghost team's successful confrontation with the rebellious faction in Mexico in GRAW, GRAW 2 takes place in 2014 during a new civil war between Mexican loyalists and insurgent rebel forces. Under the control of Captain Scott Mitchell, the ghosts must fend off heavy attacks on US soil. Ubisoft is confident that enhanced physics and particle systems combined with realistic smoke and destructive environments will create a genuinely compelling landscape. Bullets zip through billowing smoke clouds and leave plumes of interactive trails. Day-night cycles and a constantly changing weather system create mood and atmosphere, and entirely new battlegrounds including mountain terrains, barren deserts and heavy fighting in El Paso, Texas.

The innovative cross-com that played such a big part in GRAW returns with new abilities in GRAW 2. Clicking a button enables players full screen cross-com viewing, enabling pin-point data of enemy formations and locations. Expanded technical support provides gamers with jet fighter bombings, land support in difficult terrain using the remote control MULE, and the ability to heal team mates on the battlefield with the introduction of the Medic soldier class. Lastly, enemy AI will flank your position from multiple sides while attaining vertical superiority from higher terrain. Same-side AI will provide more accurate chatter, specifying enemy location and manner of attack, providing addition tactical data.

[ATTACH]2550[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2551[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2552[/ATTACH]

A few more details from the recent Game Informer article

-Squad members actually present the players with real choice now instead of grabbing whoever is available. The new Medic class forces the player to choose either more firepower or healing power on the battlefield.

-Squad AI is getting some major upgrades over the first game

-The first pic above shows off the new Mobile Command Unit which is essentially a pack mule for the player that is controllable from the cross com and provides transportable ammo and gear

-The player now has more options for controllable NPC units. You'll be able to call in air strikes and fly-by attacks from Apache choppers, fighter jets, and more. Tanks will remain controllable and unit commands are being beefed up.

-More focus on outdoor environments. The cramped cityscape of the first game is being opened up and the player will see a range of forest, mountain, and desert locations.

-New form of HDR is being used in the game to show proper light "bending" for a more realistic look.

The cover story in the latest Game Informer has me a bit excited for this game. I want another 16 player co-op mission pack, but I also want to be able to play through the entire single-player campaign in Co-op, ala Gears of War. A medic will be very nice to have if they do not improve the squad AI . ;)

-Dean-

I've played the heck out of the first one and will likely do the same with the sequal. I prefer the bigger maps and outdoor terrain of GRAW over the cramped indoor coridors in Rainbow (although I still love Rainbow team survival matches). I thought the single player campaign in GRAW was a bit lacking so I'm hoping for some improvement there. That said my focus is on the multiplayer as usual. I already miss the 8 vs 8 matches I'd participate in at least a few times a week. Bring it on.

You know, I STILL can't stand that this series of game refuses to allow you to see your gun in the first person view, EVEN THOUGH it does in the pc version of Graw. It's another reason that I really like the Rainbox 6 series better.

Drives me crazy! I just don't like the "reticule only" view that this series has. Yes I know that you can go 3rd person but, I hate that view for a game such as this.

Don't know why it works fine for me in Gears.

Neat but games still don't have good definition in low light environments. I just don't think in-game lighting is "there" yet.

Judging by some of the tech demos we've seen of Alan Wake, that may be one of the better games in that regard (especially in changing real time lighting from day to night and vice versa). Though we'll have have to wait a long time to see how well it pulls it off.

Dark games can't work because you can't depend on everyone's TV being calibrated properly. And unlike a movie, if people can't see, they can actually LOSE the game they're playing because of it. I think it can only work if there are things like flashlights, infrared, and ways of manipulating the lighting to your advantage.

Dark games can't work because you can't depend on everyone's TV being calibrated properly. And unlike a movie, if people can't see, they can actually LOSE the game they're playing because of it. I think it can only work if there are things like flashlights, infrared, and ways of manipulating the lighting to your advantage.

Oh shit, I agree completely with K-Fed. :furious

In my experience with games like the original GRAW (actually, all Clancy games), there are a few levels that are way too dark to game at during the day without the night googles (quite ironic having to wear night googles to play a game during the day).

I'm a little bit excited. GRAW is my favorite team-based tactical multiplayer shooter by far. But if they still don't have clan support with matchmaking then I may not even buy GRAW2.

The single-player improvements sure sound nice, assuming the AI really is better, but my biggest beef with the GRAW1's single-player was the difficulty. It was either too easy or too hard (or rather, hard in ways that annoyed me). On Normal you could go rambo and take lots of hits and baddies dropped easy. On "Realistic" you'd die from one hit, but baddies in t-shirts could take 5+ bullets to the upper body. I think I'd need a difficulty level that I find believable for me to really enjoy it. But improved AI and more varried environments sounds tempting.

Neat but games still don't have good definition in low light environments.

You know what game actually impresses me in that regard? Viva Pinata. They fade colour out as things get darker, so night is kind of a dim black and white, and it looks surprisingly natural to me. I know it's not the first game to do that, I just think they did it really well and now I hope more games do it.

How much is Rare paying you to pimp that game? :)

I really have to back up Covak (even if he is on Rare's payroll). Today, I was watching my wife's newtgats getting killed by Dastardo at night and it was gruesome (Maggie actually shed a tear for poor Lupe and Leopold the Avenger). It was sunny as hell outside and we had the blinds open to give our plants some light and we still could see the candy popping everywhere as they exploded. (Sorry for being so graphic, but this game is more violent then GoW).

The single-player improvements sure sound nice...

On second thought, I popped GRAW in last night (I hadn't tried it on the big new HDTV yet) and I really, really don't care for the single-player.

Clan support with matchmaking or no buy for me. Shouldn't be so much to ask of a team-based multiplayer shooter :(