LCVG

NHL 2006-07 Season..

PHiL

Only saw the off season thread so Now its on to the Regular season...

2 things we know so far... Islanders are dumb for signing Dipietro to 15 year contract..and The Sabres have started off 10-0 to tie for the best record to start a season in NHL history.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Big Bert to the Wings!! :tu Getting rid of that floater Williams is addition by subtraction and Calder's got some grit, decent trade there. A lot of Western conf. teams loaded up but if Bertuzzi's healthy he'll help the Wings a lot, I suspect they'll keep him out a few more games to be sure he's ready for the playoffs.

Freaking Garth Snow came out looking great, he keeps Blake for a playoff run and get's Ryan Smyth on top of it. Rangers better look out.

Yea Rangers looking to get into the playoffs and do..... NOTHING!!! Oh wait trading Arron Ward was our big deal of the day.. Only reason he was traded was because he mouthed off to Jagr..

I Hate You Jeff and Your Redwings!

I Hate You Joey and your Islanders!

Big Bert to the Wings!! :tu Getting rid of that floater Williams is addition by subtraction and Calder's got some grit, decent trade there. A lot of Western conf. teams loaded up but if Bertuzzi's healthy he'll help the Wings a lot, I suspect they'll keep him out a few more games to be sure he's ready for the playoffs.

Freaking Garth Snow came out looking great, he keeps Blake for a playoff run and get's Ryan Smyth on top of it. Rangers better look out.

has bertuzzi even skated since his back problems?

i'm not sure what that pick is conditional on but it should be based on Bertuzzi's performance not the overall teams performance because they might go far without him lacing up.

And as for Calder...good luck, he's been a terrible dog in philly all year every game I've seen.

I realize I'm biased coming from Alberta but it sure seemed like the western contender did a lot more to up-the-ante whereas the eastern teams seemed a bit more content to sit as-is and hope to pull an oilers/flames and ride a hot goalie.

Islanders fans better hope they can re-sign Smyth or they paid a pretty high price for a rental. Having said that the oilers were foolish to let him go unless they have a gentleman's agreement to resign him this summer.

They did a phone interview with him (Bertuzzi) on TSN and he says he close, probably could play now but Wings management told him to wait till he's 100% they really want him for the playoffs. We gave up Shawn Matthias, he's a big center but we're loaded at center, a pick that's conditional on Bert's performance and team performance, anywhere from 1 to 4 depending, and a 2nd rounder should he re-sign here. Not too bad even if he never plays a game, we could have really gotten raped like Nashville or Atlanta.

Calder's a bit of a hunch I think on the Wings part, he's a Pat Verbeek type player I think, small but gritty. Plus he's done after this season should we not want to re-sign him, Williams was on the hook for one more year and we had to get rid of him, he was never the same after getting nailed by Torres in Edmonton. Calder had a goal, assist and was a plus 2 for the Wings tonight too BTW.

ya i saw that calder goal and bit my lip

lol, good for you if they work out

and like you said a rental isn't going to haunt you forever

the rumour-mongering in edmonton has begun. apparently meehan (smyth's agent) saw the oilers contract offer and was pretty sure smyth would accept it so he leaked to the press he had re-signed. internet reports surfaced he had re-signed, but smyth passed on the allegedly 5year 5.5per deal so the oilers dealt him.

Not sure how much better he expects to do than 5.5 for 5 years, sure he could possibly get more jack but a 5 year term is pretty good in the "new" NHL (islander's excluded where 5 years is nothing), especially considering he's not one of the top tier guys like a Lidstrom that can get over 7 a year. If he was willing to leave over half a mill or a year difference on the contract maybe he really wanted out of Edmonton, never been there but there's sure something there that seems to drive players away.

nah if you saw the press conference the emotion in smyth's face was very real.

the last couple years have been hard on edmonton fans, i think it's more just an anomaly that recently nobody wants to sign. we'll see though, there might be something fishy going on

Hopeful Edmonton fans praying it was all a ruse to get some assets and he'll re-sign in the off season. If so there's no need for all the theatrics, other players that were known to be rentals commanded more, Tkachuk for one comes to mind, Atlanta got robbed for his services and I'd put his percentage at over 75% that he goes back to St. Louis, much like Weight did the year before.

Like what? If it's as interesting as the rumors surrounding the Pronger exodus it's worth a discussion.

oh i didn't mean anything in particular, maybe just insinuating that playing for this organization/Lowe may not be the most cheerful thing.

No offense to Keith or St.Louis but I don't get the allure of Tkachuk...my current mental image of him is the out-of-shape washed up player that emerged from the lockout. I didn't watch many Blues games this year but I'm not sure how they got that good of a deal out of Atlanta.

I'm curious of any rule changes that may emerge preventing players from re-signing with their original clubs after being dealt at the deadline. They were talking about it on TSN but I can't think of a suitable "penalty" that could prevent this from occurring. I don't know if it'll be a rule change so much as a change towards conditional picks based upon resigning.

No offense to Keith or St.Louis but I don't get the allure of Tkachuk...my current mental image of him is the out-of-shape washed up player that emerged from the lockout. I didn't watch many Blues games this year but I'm not sure how they got that good of a deal out of Atlanta.

I think that's a somewhat fair assessment. He is in shape (despite that being a major issue last year). He is still capable of crashing the net with an authority very few players have. He's still a true power forward who scores junk goals -but he has lost a step.

He's played well enough that if he played for a more offensively talented team he would have much more impressive numbers. He may do well for Atlanta.

There's talk of outright preventing rentals by not allowing a player to re-sign with a team he was just traded from, not sure how I feel about that, I can definitely see both sides of the argument.

Is Atlanta even going to make the playoffs? They let go of quite a few youngsters and picks for the couple of players they picked up, they don't make it and Waddel (sp?) could be out of there.

There's talk of outright preventing rentals by not allowing a player to re-sign with a team he was just traded from, not sure how I feel about that, I can definitely see both sides of the argument.

See I don't like that at all.

I suppose eventually if this becomes too big of a problem teams will just not be willing to trade as much at the deadline. As long as Daniel Snyder stays out of the NHL the market forces should balance it out eventually?

on a sidenote if the oilers get shutout at home against calgary tomorrow I'm not sure that I'll be able to hide my excitement. i wonder what the record is for consecutive minutes of being shutout at home is.