LCVG

Firefox 2 (non beta) is out

exile

I noticed a nice new feature. I accidentally closed a tab, which is unfortunately easier to do because of the close button on each tab, and I found that you can go into history & re-open recently closed tabs. Then, it even remembers the pages backwards that you visited from that tab/page, which is pretty damn cool.

I noticed a nice new feature. I accidentally closed a tab, which is unfortunately easier to do because of the close button on each tab, ...

I hate that shit. If you type "about:config' in the address bar and hit enter, scroll down to "browser.tabs.closeButtons" and make the value "3." Presto! Pre-2.0-style close tab button!

I don't have any add-ons installed, but have had no problems with 2.0.

Installed straight to the old directory and it automatically picked up all my bookmarks and the bookmark toolbar.

Ditto.

The spell checker is nice too. Bobbio probably will benefit the most.

Firefox tells me there are no updates available. Why?

Doesn't work for some reason.

I figured out my problems. Make sure you close all the old Firefox windows manually before installing. The installer has a bug that doesn't do it properly, and it can really mess up the install.

The auto updater isn't being updated for a few weeks apparently, which is why it isn't working.

I went ahead and installed it (I just couldn't stand by knowing it was out there and you guys were using it).

Note to folks on the fence: Your extensions (now called 'Add ons') may not work with Firefox 2. I found my two most used extensions don't yet work so my browsing is rather crippled at the moment.

I really don't notice much new. It is perhaps a bit quicker to load but beyond that and the new tab closing method it's not that different.

Installed it last week, and I'm liking the visual refresh as well. The spell checker is nice and unobtrusive, and I managed to get rid of a few extensions with the new in-browser features. TabMixPlus was there for the "undo closed tab" feature, and SessionSaver is built in now (got rid of "DuplicateTab" in 1.5). The close buttons don't really bother me, since 95% of the time I just use ctrl+w to close tabs.

Only real beef is that Alt+s activates the history tab, where before it activated the Sage panel. I'd also like to see better RSS support in the future, since the "Live bookmarks" aren't really all that useful.

• 2 months later...

I noticed a great feature with the session saver this morning when the power dropped out at work. Not only does firefox restore all the tabs I had open, but it had all of the text from the post I was in the middle of writing at the time. Not sure whether the session saver always did this (or if the SessionSaver extension I used before now did), but it's a nice bonus.