LCVG

Nyko Intercooler bad for your 360?

Jeff W

An add-on like the Intercooler grabs some of the power, making the supply inadequate for the rest of the system. Another representative mentioned that Nyko?s device causes scorch marks on the console. The Intercooler was designed in such a way that it touches with the AC input of the X360.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=7456

I've had one on mine for quite some time, aside from the unit itself being a bit noisy I've had no problems. My 360 sits alone atop a stand and the power supply is pretty open as well atop a shelf under the 360, open front and back. I think I may ditch the intercooler completely.

I've never built a PC and am admittedly ignorant on the subject, wouldn't the 3 extra fans pull the hot air out of the console faster thereby pulling the outside "cool" air in quicker as well? My console was manufactured in December of 05 and I've had no problems (*knocks on wood*), matter of fact I notice my 360 runs cooler and the discs don't come out hot anymore with the Intercooler installed. I took it off but I may just go ahead and pop it back on.

I've never built a PC and am admittedly ignorant on the subject, wouldn't the 3 extra fans pull the hot air out of the console faster thereby pulling the outside "cool" air in quicker as well?

In parallel, yes. In serial, no. I don't know how this product works, but going by what Camp says, if it sits directly outside of the existing fans, it won't work miracles.

He claimed that whenever his 360 would chug and become choppy it was cleared up with Intercool.

It fixes bad programming?

It fixes bad programming?

:lol

If this thing sits on top of another fan, unless it pulls harder and faster than the internal one, it's only going to create a bottleneck.

Also, it draws power from the 360 which only heats up the power supply, rendering moot any additional cooling it may do.

I think it definitely blows (pulls) harder, if I put my hand behind the 360 with and without it there's a huge difference, however:

Also, it draws power from the 360 which only heats up the power supply, rendering moot any additional cooling it may do.

This makes absolute sense, even to me :o

I've played the rainbow six vegas demo probably 8 or 10 times, no problems at all, take the intercooler off, locks up halfway thru. Now it was just a lock up, no red rings of death and it's working perfectely fine since and at present, no more lockups on RSV either, maybe it would have locked up had the incercooler been attached, don't know.

I emailed Nyko and asked them to comment on MS's claims the intercooler syphons too much power and can cause scorch marks, unfortunately all I got was the cut and paste canned response.

Dear Jeff,

We would like to thank you for your inquiries regarding the Nyko Intercooler

for Xbox 360. As with most new products on the market, the Intercooler has

an extremely small defective rate and is a very reliable product. We would

like to assure you that Nyko stands by its products one-hundred percent, and

will provide customer service and support for the Intercooler for the

entirety of your ownership. If you ever do experience problems with any Nyko

product, please contact our Customer Service Center at 888-444-6956, or

email us at or email us at customersupport@nyko.com.

If you have any other questions about the Intercooler 360 or any other

products from Nyko please feel free to contact us.

:td

• 1 month later...

I have one and every once in a while I'll get one red led on startup. When I shut the 360 down and reboot, it always starts back up no problem.

Are we sure that the internal 360 fan is immediately forward of this external setup? I personally feel that these fans draw more heat out of my 360. I know that when I place my hand behind them while they're running, there's quite a bit of heat being pulled out.