LCVG

Speakers...what do you have?

Camp

Just curious what everyone is using.

I have something like $5k in speakers which I don't use (the mains haven't been hooked up in over 3 years). Four full-sized towers all the way around and a massive center channel are just overkill for my living space.

Mains: Definitive Technology BP-2000TL

Rears: Def Tech BP-30

Center: Def Tech CLR-2000

I'm thinking I'll just sell the whole set for next to nothing and try to buy some inexpensive yet quality bookshelves. I'm not interested in the whole surround thing anymore so I just want a stereo set-up (+ center channel). I've been out of the speaker market for a few years and was hoping to gleam some recommendations out of you guys while learning about what everyone else uses.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a full JBL Northridge system. I love it, not terribly expensive but it sounds great. When I realized that the vast majority of theaters are JBL-equipped, I did the math on my own.

Also, they were by far the best-sounding speakers for years when I was in the pro audio business and am now a JBL lifer.

My mains are 20+ year old Sony floorstanding speakers that my dad bought when he went to college. They're awesome.

My center, surround, and sub are Kenwood which came in a Home Theater In a Box setup (they're full-size coupled with a powered 12" woofer, so it's no kids stuff).

Kef Q series all round (circa 1999 models). They've served me well, especially in the early days when I was using a receiver, but since 2001 when I moved to seperates they've struggled here and there. I hope to replace them with Meridian Active DSP speakers towards the end of next year – preferably the DSP5200 for all five channels if I can stretch to it. Depends if 2007 makes up for a god awful 2006.

My mains are prit near 30 year old vintage 1978 Klipsch Heresy's. I hope to never be parted from them. When listening to music, I add a Klipsch ksw-12sub to make it 2.1, and I'm in audio heaven.

Wow, that's impressive. Are they holding up OK? Have you had to do any work on them?

Wow, that's impressive. Are they holding up OK? Have you had to do any work on them?

Yeah, they are still holding up fine, and still sound like a dream. I have noticed no degradation in sound quality since I got them in 1990 from a co-worker who upgraded to infinitys. I've heard tales that you need to re-foam them at some point, but until I hear them performing poorly, I'm not touching them. They can still take everything I throw at them.

The greatest tragedy was when we moved in 2000 and upon unpacking them, one of the grill plates that says "Klipsch" was lost. I went through hell searching, going so far as contacting U-Haul to obtain the whereabouts of the truck we used and searching therein. But no joy! Klipsch could not help me with the original plate, only offering the newer plates with a Klipsch written differently, so I have chosen to just leave it bare for now.

Carlos.

My speakers include the following:

Simply put, these speakers have satisified me so much that I've had no desire to upgrade or replace them since I got them over four years ago. Not only do they sound magnificent, but they look equally impressive sitting in my living room. I hope I'll be able to keep these around for a long, long time.

Another cheapass-using the same Pioneer HTB setup that I bought in University. VSXD409 receiver (100w/channel) with the box speakers/sub. Still sounds decent though, but I'll probably upgrade in the next couple years when I bite on the HD disc formats. Problem is that I haven't really had an opportunity for wall-bleeding audio in a while. Should change once we move next week though :)

Simply put, these speakers have satisified me so much that I've had no desire to upgrade or replace them since I got them over four years ago. Not only do they sound magnificent, but they look equally impressive sitting in my living room. I hope I'll be able to keep these around for a long, long time.

Could I trouble you for some pictures? I have read the rosewood is much darker in person.

I have Swans m200 for my PC speakers and have been considering their bookshelves for my new speaker purchase. Reviews are difficult to find so any insights to their character would be appreciated.

Have not tried them with music yet

You have owned new speakers for 2 weeks and you haven't played a CD yet? That's like using your penis only to urinate. :)