LCVG

Bob Barker retires

Romier S

I'm an old goofball of a game show lover. Stuff like "Press Your Luck" and "The Family Fued" were often watched in my household as I grew up. The Price is Right was always a favorite of mine (PLINKO!) so I was defintely saddened to hear the news that Barker is finally retiring from daytime television. A replacement for him has been in the works for a few years now with no announcements made. Those are some mighty big shoes to fill!

CNN has the report:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/31/tv.bobbarker.retires.ap/

I'm an old goofball of a game show lover.

Same here. The Price is Right was my favorite and Bob was a great host. He had a great sense of humor. I haven't watched a game show in ages but I watched Deal or No Deal for the first time last night. I really enjoyed it and I can see myself getting hooked on it (at least for awhile).

I can't imagine the show without Bob, even though he's old and a little out of it now, he still gets the job done and can be as quick as ever at time.

I recently spent.... a little too much time.... on YouTube looking for gameshow videos after watching the classic "September" clip from Family Feud. Here's a few TPIR videos of interest.

Bob's very first intro.

I hope, regardless of who replaces Bob, that the show itself doesn't change much. I've watched clips and a full episode of the exported Price is Right games (from the UK and Australia I think). They're snazzier, much like Millionaire and Deal or No Deal, but I think a large part of Price's appeal in North America is that it's pretty much still the same show it was 30 years ago. The sets seem outdated, the games are cheap and low tech.... and that's the way we like it.

I can't imagine the show without Bob, even though he's old and a little out of it now, he still gets the job done and can be as quick as ever at time.

I recently spent.... a little too much time.... on YouTube looking for gameshow videos after watching the classic "September" clip from Family Feud. Here's a few TPIR videos of interest.

Bob's very first intro.

I hope, regardless of who replaces Bob, that the show itself doesn't change much. I've watched clips and a full episode of the exported Price is Right games (from the UK and Australia I think). They're snazzier, much like Millionaire and Deal or No Deal, but I think a large part of Price's appeal in North America is that it's pretty much still the same show it was 30 years ago. The sets seem outdated, the games are cheap and low tech.... and that's the way we like it.

good clips

I thought it was funny on the shell game when the next item was a"trustworthy" brand of toolbox

And I think I saw the ten chances one live on broadcast i rember that and screaming at the tv.

Though..................................... I'd hit that almound Joy

Man, I remember watching The Price Is Right with my mom everyday at lunchtime...

The yodelling mountain climber and plinko were always great.

I also liked the one where they had to guess the price of some small items to get a chance to punch out openings in a board full of tubes. Then, in the tubes, there were slips of paper with amounts of money written on them, and after Bob read each one, the person had to decide if they wanted to take that amount or keep looking at more... anyone remember what that was called? I think these days it goes on for an hour and they call it "Deal or No Deal" :P

They should make more TPIR games into their own shows! How about an hour long version of plinko, where the board is about 300 feet high... just minute after minute of watching the little disc bounce down the pegboard...

EDIT: What the hell is Bejeweled 2 doing on my gamercard? Have to have some "words" with the woman I guess...

The yodelling mountain climber and plinko were always great. I also liked the one where they had to guess the price of some small items to get a chance to punch out openings in a board full of tubes.

So funny - those were my three favorite games as well. The yodelling climber was definitely my favorite (loved the music!), with Plinko and the Punch-Board tying for second.

Kinda funny how certain games just seem to be universally appealing...

I was also somewhat fond of the game with the count-down timer, where the contestant needed to guess the price of an item and Bob would say "Higher" or "Lower", until the person got it right. In retrospect, the concept seems kind of lame, but for some reason, it really entertained me as a kid.

And damnit - I'd have killed for a chance to spin that big wheel!

We'll miss you Bob!

What was with the Price Range game, where once the contestant stopped the machine, it couldnt be started again for 48 hours? :eh Anyone remember that?

That was just Bob's running joke, he always stated the length of time until it could be started again at some odd amount, different each time... the point being that you only get one shot to stop the thing.

Most of you guys don't know this... but I work for Walt Disney World Resorts in Orlando in their largest hotel. Well for "fun" I spent 5 months in Housekeeping (actually, because NO ONE has that on their resume) and I used to watch Bob every. single. day. The man runs an amazing show and I'll really miss him....

One of my dreams was actually to see The Price is Right live with him hosting. Oh well ;___;

He had to retire sooner of later. The man is almost 83! You can tell he must REALLY love it to be doing it that long.

Most of you guys don't know this... but I work for Walt Disney World Resorts in Orlando in their largest hotel. Well for "fun" I spent 5 months in Housekeeping (actually, because NO ONE has that on their resume) and I used to watch Bob every. single. day. The man runs an amazing show and I'll really miss him....

One of my dreams was actually to see The Price is Right live with him hosting. Oh well ;___;

He had to retire sooner of later. The man is almost 83! You can tell he must REALLY love it to be doing it that long.

What is their largest hotel, Rob? Carribean Beach? I stayed there last year and it was immense...although the clever way they have it broken down into "islands" didn't make it seem so.

I'm at Disney's Pop Century Resort... we've got 2880 rooms spread across 10 buildings. Carribean is our sister resort actually (same admin staff and engineers) and they've got 2110 rooms.

Don't do Housekeeping any more... I'm in charge of the Disney's Magical Express luggage service for 2nd shift at PC nowadays. And no, I don't have enough comp tickets to get all of LCVG into Disney for free. ;)

I'm at Disney's Pop Century Resort... we've got 2880 rooms spread across 10 buildings. Carribean is our sister resort actually (same admin staff and engineers) and they've got 2110 rooms.

Don't do Housekeeping any more... I'm in charge of the Disney's Magical Express luggage service for 2nd shift at PC nowadays. And no, I don't have enough comp tickets to get all of LCVG into Disney for free. ;)

I try to take my family to DW every year or at least every other, and we are overdue since my daughter was born a year ago. We are planning a trip now for early next year...if we end up staying at Pop Century at least I'll know my luggage will be in good hands. :)