LCVG

Ipod Question

Bruce B

I have Itunes at work. I brought in the USB cable to hook to my Ipod mini but I get a screen that says I need to restore my Ipod which I would assume will wipeout all the songs currently on it. All I want to do is switch to the mini player and play songs through Itunes from the player.

Are these songs you own or are they songs from the iTunes Store? Because I think I read that you can move songs you own off the iPod to a different PC (something about uncheck manual sync'ing?).

If both your PC's are Windows-based, maybe something like Red Chair's Anapod Explorer will work? I have no experience with Anapod Explorer (or the OSX-based CopyGear), but I heard great things about their Notmad Explorer for the Creative line.

Oh, and Google led me to this:

http://www.ipodhacks.com/article.php?sid=1065

iPodControl is for people who use their iPod on multiple computers ... if you have your music library on one computer, and use the other computer just to play the music, you'll constantly be threatened that iTunes is about to destroy all your music. Obviously not cool.

Among other things, iPodControl fixes this problem ...

That looks like exactly what you want to do, doesn't it? Again, I have no experience with this program. It doesn't appear to be supported (freeware of some sort?) and you'll have to hunt for a download. And it might give you the clap for all I know.

http://www.ipodhacks.com/article.php?sid=1065

That looks like exactly what you want to do, doesn't it? Again, I have no experience with this program. It doesn't appear to be supported (freeware of some sort?) and you'll have to hunt for a download. And it might give you the clap for all I know.

I think thats it. I'll give it a whirl. Thx

iPodControl is for people who use their iPod on multiple computers ... if you have your music library on one computer, and use the other computer just to play the music, you'll constantly be threatened that iTunes is about to destroy all your music. Obviously not cool.

Among other things, iPodControl fixes this problem ...

I dunno. I happily use my iPod on two computers in such a setup. I'm listening to Chords Are Dead on my iPod via iTunes on my work PC right now. The big gotcha is that I 100% manually control my iPod's playlists, I do not allow iTunes on either computer to manage my iPod. I like to control what I listen to.