LCVG

Woot.com - One Deal Per Day

Dave C

http://www.woot.com/

They sell one item per day until it is sold out or until 11:59pm central time when it is replaced.

Today's deal:

Logitech Wireless Music System: $39.99 + $5 shipping

The cheapest I've seen this for was $99.

What is Woot and who's behind it?

Woot.com is an online store and community that focuses on selling cool stuff cheap. It started as an employee-store slash market-testing type of place for an electronics distributor, but it's taken on a life of its own. We anticipate profitability by 2043 ? by then we should be retired; someone smarter might take over and jack up the prices. Until then, we're still the lovable scamps we've always been.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delivery to continental US only :td, but the FAQs are pretty funny :tu :

LAUNCH EVENTS

I see some kind of weird-looking pope hat on the main page. What's that about?

A Pope hat? Oh, that. It's supposed to be a rocket ship. In any case, that's our LAUNCH EVENT indicator! And boy, are you a lucky cuss. Spying the LAUNCH EVENT indicator is like catching sight of a leprechaun, or the elusive white whale. When you see it next to a Woot item, that item is available on Woot and nowhere else! Woot is the first and only place you can get such a doo-dad!

What do you mean ?the first and only place?? Everything is attainable.

True, but assuming you're not a cat burglar, or an industrial spy, or the manufacturer's mistress, you won't have had an opportunity to pick up a Woot LAUNCH EVENT item before you see it here.

How come? Where do ?LAUNCH EVENT? items come from?

It could be that you're looking at the item's initial market launch. Or it could be a special sneak preview just for Wooters. It could be that legislation banning the item has just expired. It could be that the item uses totally new technology bestowed upon us by a benevolent race of visiting aliens. (Overwhelmingly, it will be one of those first two.)

If this LAUNCH EVENT item isn't available anywhere else, how am I supposed to shop around and make comparisons?

Yeah, it sort of seems like you can't.

Why do you keep putting LAUNCH EVENT in all caps?

To fully convey its majesty.

Maybe I'll just wait until this item becomes more widely available, so I know what other users think of it.

If that's how you want to live your life, sure. Fine. There are those who would say that your type will inherit the earth. Until then, though, the rest of us will have all the coolest gizmos.

Todays special

Logitech Wireless Play Link

$14.99+ $5 shipping

I have one (and just ordered another). The Playlink comes highly recommended. I use one on my 360 now and its dedicated connection is much more reliable than Wifi. It feels as fast as a wired connection and has never failed me.

Jump all over this one. I still see them at stores for $69.99.

I have one (and just ordered another). The Playlink comes highly recommended. I use one on my 360 now and its dedicated connection is much more reliable than Wifi. It feels as fast as a wired connection and has never failed me.

Jump all over this one. I still see them at stores for $69.99.

IGN Review:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/578/578595p1.html

Keep in mind, at data transfer rates up to 1.5Mbps, this is a great solution for online gaming but a bit slow for large file transfers / downloadable content.

Keep in mind, at data transfer rates up to 1.5Mbps, this is a great solution for online gaming but a bit slow for large file transfers / downloadable content.

Good point. I should have said, "It feels as fast as a wired connection for gaming and has never failed me. "

Guys, check out http://www.restaurant.com for places in your area, then use coupon code:94628 to get half-off your certificate(s).

I have used these before and they work like a charm. Just be sure to read about minimum orders, whether it applies to alcohol, and other restrictions.

I bought two $25 certificates today for only $12.50. Great deal!

Carlos.

Looks like a good deal on Woot today...Audiovox DT85 8.5" screen portable DVD player ($400 at Bestbuy) and the Audiovox DKP102 under-counter docking station ($150 at Bestbuy), both for $274 shipped. I don't know much about the unit but we've been looking for a DVD player for the car so I took a chance and "wooted". :)

• 1 month later...

Wish I had seen it, I wound up ordering the same projector from Amazon for $100 more (~$500 AR). My X350 is crapping out on me, not sure if it's the lamp or what. But this is still about the same cost as either a lamp or getting it refurbished again (had to have the PSU fixed on it a few years ago). Plus with Amazon Prime, it should be getting here tomorrow, which means I can actually use it over my holiday break.

Most of what I watch is widescreen 480i/480p content anyway. Plus, now that I have a 16:9 screen, I wasn't really using the full resolution of the X350, and a native 16:9 AR projector will be easier to work with. And I'll finally have real component inputs, as well as HDMI and HDCP DVI (screw you, DRM). I figure it's a good stopgap measure for 2-3 years during which 1080p projectors should come down in price significantly (as well as 1080p sources like HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, Xbox 360, PS3).

To be honest, I haven't found that DVDs are any better on my new 720p projector over my old 480p X1. They might even be a tad worse, although the colors are better on the new pj. The only big advantage is less screen door effect - I got to move the couch up from the wall a few feet to where we wanted it.

Downconverted HD is very pretty. I think one of the biggest gains for HD is the better colorspace, and this carries over to the 480p projectors.

With $5 overnight shipping and Saturday delivery? Also, check out the detail image for today's woot. ;)

Kind of continuing my IN72 tangent, it got here the other day. I probably should have actually read and comprehended the dimension specs, it's ridiculously large compared to my UltraLight. :lol I had to get some bed lifts in order to properly fit it where I had my old one. The good thing is, it looks fantastic. DLP has come a ways since my old projector was introduced 6 years ago, black levels are much much better and everything looks much more film-like. I rewatched part of Soderbergh's Solaris since I watched it at the start of the week on my X350, and it looked much more impressive this time around. Working 480i over component is also great, as it means I can use component on my Wii, GC, Xbox, and PS2 and not have to worry about switching back and forth for 480i games. The M1 connector seems a bit stupid compared to DVI-I, but Monoprice has adapters/cables for it so I'm not too annoyed. Overall, I'm happy with the projector.