LCVG

Nintendo Wii Discussion PartVIII - The Final Pre-Launch Thread!

Starhawk

*******ADMIN NOTE*********

It's time to move forward with a new Wii thread given the size of the last one. You can read the previous threads here:

Revolution Thread Part I

Revolution Thread Part II

Revolution Thread Part III

Nintendo Wii Thread Part IV

Nintendo Wii Thread Part V

Nintendo Wii Thread Part VI

Nitnendo Wii Thread Part VII

Feel free to continue the discussion here.

===============================================

Several Nintendo World trailers: http://media.wii.ign.com/articles/743/743877/vids_1.html

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some key information about how the Virtual Console works. Alot of this is new.

Dan, take note of the importing comments.

Can games be stored on external media such as SD cards, and what happens if you run out of storage space?

Nintendo: Games that are downloaded can be stored either to the Wii's internal memory (512MB) or onto SD cards, which plug into the SD slot on the front of the Wii. In addition the console also stores a history of all of your downloads so that if you have to delete any VC games for any reason you could re-download them for free at a later date.

Will you be able to take your VC games to a mate's house, say, on an SD card?

Nintendo: No. All VC games will be locked to the console they are downloaded on so even if they are on an SD card they can't be used on other machines. You will have to take your Wii with you.

Does that mean that if your console breaks you lose your VC games forever?

Nintendo: No. Nintendo will offer support to help Wii owners with problems to recover their games.

GameCube games are played with GameCube pads. Can they be played with the Classic controller too, for those who don't actually have any GC pads?

Nintendo: Nintendo GameCube games can only be played using Nintendo GameCube controllers. The Classic Controller will not work on these games.

Can you specify which controllers it will be possible to use for each of the VC games types (NES, SNES, PC Engine, N64)?

Nintendo: All virtual console games can be played using the Classic Controller or Nintendo GameCube pads. The Wii Remote can also be turned on its side and used as a traditional controller to play NES games. However, a game will only be playable with the control mechanism it was designed for. So, for example, you will play NES games with the D-pad, not an analogue stick or motion-sensitive functionality.

When using a mixture of Wii and GameCube controllers, the Wii Remote or Classic Controller will take priority. So if you have two Classic Controllers plugged in they instantly become player one and two regardless of how many GameCube pads are inserted.

What about game manuals?

Nintendo: Each Virtual Console game downloaded will come with a digital instruction manual.

We are already aware that you won't be able to gain access to the Japanese or American VC in UK with a UK console. But if you import a US or Japanese Wii into UK, will that machine be capable of accessing the UK VC servers to download and play games made available to us Brits?

Nintendo: No. The European Virtual Console will be available only to European machines. If you import an American machine they would have to connect to the American service and use American Wii Points cards to buy content. Their warranty would also be void so this is not recommended.

Will there be a range of Wii Points cards available? How much will they cost?

Nintendo: At first, only 2000-point cards will be available. These will retail for ?14.99.

Will you be able to buy VC Points via the internet through Wii using a credit card, like you can with Xbox 360's Marketplace?

Nintendo: Yes. Wii points can also be bought online via the Wii Shop using all major credit cards and will be credited to your account. A total of 10,000 points can be stored on your Wii account at any one time.

Mike Jackson

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148658

Out of all of that, Im probably most surprised that you can't use the Classic Controller to play Gamecube games.

We are already aware that you won't be able to gain access to the Japanese or American VC in UK with a UK console. But if you import a US or Japanese Wii into UK, will that machine be capable of accessing the UK VC servers to download and play games made available to us Brits?

Nintendo: No. The European Virtual Console will be available only to European machines. If you import an American machine they would have to connect to the American service and use American Wii Points cards to buy content. Their warranty would also be void so this is not recommended.

So, Daniel, I suppose this means that you'll be getting a European Wii then?

Not at all, Jeff, old chum.

"If you import an American machine they would have to connect to the American service and use American Wii Points cards to buy content."

That suits me just fine. Wider selction of VC titles, guaranteed to be 60hz and having to pay in US dollars rather than inflated British pounds for them? I'll have some of that thank you, kindly!

I can import Wii points from online dealers like Videogames Plus, or pay friends in America (I'm looking at you, Romier) or Canada to grab cards for me and e-mail me the purchase codes to save wasting money on mailing the cards overseas.

Thanks to the points card option and the console's friend-code this is all sounding great for importers. The only thing that might stand in our way is whether the US service is fussy about where an IP address is based. That's the only thing that I guess I still have to hold out on and wait to find out, just to be 100% sure we can get US models online here as Nintendo suggest.

The greater percentage of good TVs built for the UK over the past ten years have supported 50 and 60hz yes - in fact it's mandatory in all HDTV units built for Europe these days so worrying about lack of 60hz support with displays is a thing of the past here unless buying a cheap non branded display.

My entire Cube collection is US, so particularly for me having a US Wii is ideal in that respect also. Peripherals I can pick up here though which is handy. The component cables for instance, in Europe, are not going to be restricted to online, though if I get the Wii this side of Christmas I'll have to get an s-video lead first as my current TV has no component inputs.

Does anyone know if it's been confirmed that the additional controllers in the US will be bundled with a copy of Wii Play? If so I'd at least have to import a second pad to ensure I have a copy of that game that works. Any further controllers I could just buy domestically over here and they'd work with my US machine.

Does anyone know if it's been confirmed that the additional controllers in the US will be bundled with a copy of Wii Play? If so I'd at least have to import a second pad to ensure I have a copy of that game that works. Any further controllers I could just buy domestically over here and they'd work with my US machine.

I'm keeping up with the news fairly well - AFAIK there's no free Wii play with our controllers. Not sure when we're getting it at all, for that matter.

I'm keeping up with the news fairly well - AFAIK there's no free Wii play with our controllers. Not sure when we're getting it at all, for that matter.

I see. Curious. I've seen enough indications in the press to suggest it is packaged with Wii controllers in Japan, Australia and the UK. It would be odd if it didn't make it to the US in some way. Maybe it could be downloaded for free or a small fee?

I've spoken to a few people who think IP blocking is an impracticality with the Wii and that given this latest information it is now though 99.9% likely we'll have no problems with imported machines going online, so I think I'm actually going to try and import one a little sooner than planned (damn those latest Zelda videos!). Question I am faced with is how to source one as Videogames Plus in Canada said some weeks ago that they'd inform customers with a countdown clock when they were going to offer pre-orders. They never did, and I missed out. NCS in the meantime only seem to be offering Japanese imports.

Conversation about controller adapters in the PS3 thread brought this to mind. I just wanted to express my gratitude for Nintendo's ~100% Backwards compatibility.

Games work

Controllers work

Memory cards work

PS3: no PS2 controller adapter yet, no rumble on PS3 controllers, memory card adapter costs extra

xb360: no "unlicensed" controllers (this means Xbox1 controllers), no straightforward/legit way to transfer saves to the 360, incomplete game support

Yay for Nintendo! I've been able to move my GC entirely off my audio rack in prep for the Wii arrival. Something I wouldn't be able to do with the other consoles. :td

There used to be some sort of adage about counting eggs or hatching chickens or something, I can't recall. We don't know what the PS3 and Wii can do yet, we only know what the parent companies have said they will do. If I remember, a certain other corp promised 100% compatibility. They're still saying it and I'm still waiting...

Don't get your hopes sky high just yet is all I'm saying.

If I remember, a certain other corp promised 100% compatibility.

As much as I give MS grief, they announced it as "best selling titles" though certain execs have made dumb statements about 100%.

I think Nintendo is in a great position for 100% compatibility with GC games as the hardware is effectively a powered-up GameCube.

There used to be some sort of adage about counting eggs or hatching chickens or something, I can't recall. We don't know what the PS3 and Wii can do yet, we only know what the parent companies have said they will do. If I remember, a certain other corp promised 100% compatibility. They're still saying it and I'm still waiting...

Don't get your hopes sky high just yet is all I'm saying.

Well, I did put a tilde infront of 100%. There might be a few games that don't work. Still, there's been no word of incompatible games yet. At this time for the PS2 launch the list of flakey PS1 titles was already out.

Well, I would think that BC for the gamecube could focus just on "best selling" titles and be ok, unlike for Xbox and PS2 apparently. Everyone always says that the only games worth buying on a Nintendo system are first party titles. So I don't expect a lot of grief about BC on Wii. I doubt there will be any "Barbie Horse Adventures" whining going on.

I think Nintendo has a good shot at BC, the Wii and the GC are kissing cousins from a hardware POV. But it doesn't matter if it is 1% or 99% BC, if the one game you want to play is RE4 and RE4 is FUBARed, then it sucks.

It should work fine, I'm just trying to quell the back slapping and reach-arounding until we actually see what is delivered on launch day. I still haven't even seen a single PS3 or Wii kiosk to play around with, so I'm remaining skeptical. But hey, I'm a major cynic so how can I not be?