LCVG

Sega acquires Iron Man license

Romier S

Chalk up one more licensed title for Sega. This time Iron Man will be brought to the gaming scene by one of Sega's development houses. This is a multi-year agreement that will span several titles. The first of which is the Iron Man movie due out in '08 starring Robert Downey Jr. and Terrance Howard. Here's the press release:

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (November 6, 2006) – SEGA? Europe Ltd, SEGA? of America Inc. and Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: MVL) announced today that they have entered into a worldwide licensing agreement whereby SEGA has secured the exclusive rights to develop and distribute video game titles for all platforms based on Marvel’s renowned Iron Man property. Under the multi-year agreement, SEGA has been granted the exclusive interactive rights to develop and distribute games based on both Marvel‘s Iron Man feature films and the classic comic book iterations of the character. The Iron Man agreement represents the first step in a strategic partnership between Marvel and SEGA to bring at least one additional Marvel Super Hero property to next-gen platforms.

The first Iron Man project produced under the license agreement will be based on Marvel Studios' highly-anticipated Iron Man feature film starring Academy Award? Nominees Robert Downey Jr. and Terrence Howard, and directed by Jon Favreau. This project, the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment, will blast into theaters May 2, 2008.

“Marvel is recognised as one of the world’s leaders in the entertainment industry and SEGA is excited to be publishing the next-gen interactive entertainment based on Iron Man, the first Marvel Studios project being brought to the widescreen,” said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “The Iron Man history is filled with compelling and intriguing characters and stories, and with the power of the next-gen systems, SEGA will be bringing these characters to life like never before.”

David Maisel, Executive Vice President, Office of the Chief Executive of Marvel Entertainment, added, “SEGA is an excellent partner to bring our Iron Man franchise to the next generation consoles. SEGA is a powerful force in the video game space and has always been on the cutting edge of the industry. We are very excited to be bringing Iron Man to theaters in 2008 and to team with a great partner to simultaneously introduce Iron Man to the video game world.”

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So I took one for the team and picked the game up today (hey it worked beautifully for Viking) for a discounted $40 bucks. An EB fuck up that I argued over and got $20 bucks off my next purchase for. I'll post some thoughts later tonight when I've had the chance to play some of it. That's if I'm not playing GTA4.:)

I thought i posted here.. But I did on Twitter..

picked up Iron man Mismarked for 29.99 for 360 at fye.. Plus 10% off for backstage pass discount.. Worth a try:)

Graphics wise isn't the greatest.. But Im enjoying it Nevertheless.

I really don't have much time to get into anything deep with Iron Man (work is just a killer). What I can say is that the game is plainly mediocre with bouts of above average and plenty of absolutely shit moments to boot. The flight controls really handle well once you get accustomed to what they were going for. The visuals are decent and the firefights can be a good time. What is does fuck up entirely is any semblance of a difficulty curve. One minute the game is a cakewalk and the next you're dead due to a barrage of missiles that appeared out of nowhere.

The boss battles are a joke and become utter bouts of trial and error until you figure out what armor configuration works best (and even then the game gives no direction as to any weaknesses that could aid you). What's even worse is that Secret Level didn't bother to put a checkpoint in any of the games missions. So you get to deal with the "challenge" of playing through a 45 minute level, only to be decimated by the boss and start right over from the beginnning. Now, I'm all for challenge. You won't find a bigger fan of tough as nails games but there's a distinct difference between a really challenging well designed game and fabricated cheap difficulty. Iron Man falls completely into the latter category.

The game has so many fundamental design flaws that you really have to be a fan of this character to see through them all. There is some actual fun to be had (including a mission where you have to destroy a huge flying airship that really well done) but the bad definitely destroys the good when all is said and done. I doubt I'll bother to finish it. Even with freebie achievements built in....

Ian, I've just never really been much into GTA yet picked up this one since I was able to for only $15 with the intention of trying it online. Not getting the hang of it PLUS not having been online in quite awhile is where the problem lies. :/

But going by Romier's impressions thus far, I think I'll hold onto GTA4 a bit longer. :)