LCVG

Xbox360 Wireless Racing Wheel

AlbertA

I've preordered this in October from overstock.com and was supposed to be out November 7.

I don't see any reviews pop up yet and haven't seen any website talking about it. Is it because Forza 2 was delayed?

My overstock account doesn't say when it's going to ship. Is the wheel delayed?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's one video review:

http://on10.net/Blogs/duncan/racing-in-style-with-the-xbox-360-wireless-wheel/

The product manager for the wheel says it's coming on the week of November 20th...

But some dude at the Xbox.com forums says he's got a shipping notification from Buy.com already:

http://forums.xbox.com/7940918/ShowPost.aspx

I may pick this up sooner rather than wait for Forza 2, as the info at xbox.com indicates that they'll update TDU with force feedback & NFS Carbon already supports it. Plus, PGR 3 should be an interesting new experience, even though I've already played the game quite a bit. I wonder if this is part of the reason the patch has taken so long for TDU?

Hmmm with Forza 2 delayed til June 2007 I'm sure I'll get this wheel sooner rather than later. GTR is due Spring 2007. Hopefully that means March/April rather than May/June. I'm not terribly excited about using the wheel on either TD:U or PGR3 since they are so arcadey in nature but it remains to be seen how well it will work in those games.

I'm gonna wait. A great triumph of willpower! Actually, I really want to see some in-depth reports on it first, and a couple more games that actually support it.

Same here. Currently all the 360 has are arcade racing games which don't do a wheel justice as they favor the quick twitchy movements only a standard controller can provide. Wheels aren't an advantage until you start using them in a more simmy racer (ie: Forza). Once you play a more simulated racer you find that having a wheel isn't just a novelty but rather a nice help in being able to steer more precise. If GTR retains its full on sim mode I look forward to seeing the masses attempt controlling the game via standard controllers. :)

Very detailed review. I really don't play a lot of racing games (at least not very well), so I can't see spending the money on one of these, but I do have a free one on the way from the Pepsi contest that I was thinking about trading in for credit towards a Wii. Now I'm not so sure though-I'd certainly like to give the thing a try first if possible. Wonder if there'll be any in-store displays with the wheel?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd seen the wheel in Best Buy and Gamestop and had done a good job of not picking it up, but today while I was doing some HDDVD shopping I finally broke down and got the wheel. I'm going out tonight but I hope to have sometime when i get home to try it out. I'll post some impressions by the weekend.

Do you have to start PGR3 from scratch again? If so, can I ask that if someone is giving us impressions of PGR3 + wheel, they use it for long enough to unlock the F50 GT or something equally twitchy? That's where we'll see if the wheel really makes a difference.

Apropos of this, I'm really enjoying PGR3 with the pad at the moment.

I'm not too happy with the $150 price point, but I'm sure that my willpower will be eroded by the time Forza 2 is released. Hopefully around then there will be some deals to chip away a little bit at the costs.

Bring on the hands on impressions to make me cave even earlier!

Ok, haven't actually plugged the wheel in yet, just got done unboxing it. First thing; if you're like me and like to keep all of your boxes for consoles, etc. in pristine condition, the box the wheel comes in will be your first that you'll destroy :) Whoever came up with the way to package this thing must have went to a specialty school for packaging. I gave it about 5 minutes of being very careful to not rip anything and trying to mesmerize how the box went back together to just literally ripping the sides off of the damn thing.

Off to get my setup ready and then to some PGR. I'll give a quick update later tonight.