LCVG

Anyone buy a Geforce 8800 yet?

spubiga

The next generation has arrived in PC hardware this week, apparently. nVidia's Geforce 8800s are hitting stores, and getting some really good reviews. Here's anandtech.com's (where the majority of their tests are at 2560x1600) with an interesting quote:

So congratulations to NVIDIA for making the PS3 obsolete before it ever shipped, as G80 is truly a beast.

So has anyone ordered one yet? If so, any thoughts/impressions?

A

So congratulations to NVIDIA for making the PS3 obsolete before it ever shipped, as G80 is truly a beast.

It was going to happen sooner or later. PC graphics processors have adopted an accelerated version of Moore's Law, doubling performance every six months; that the G80 has superceded the PS3's RSX this quickly doesn't come as a surprise to me. With that said, I won't be buying one anytime soon (diehard ATI user here :D ).

I'm still running an ATI x850xt I bought this summer and that does the job for me.

2560x1600. Wow. I run my 24" CRT at 1920x1200 when I can. That's certainly more than enough rez for me, and I won't be changing displays until SED hits the market.

I've somehow never ended up with a Geforce card. Briefly my wife's T-bird 1.1ghz box ended up with a ti4200 but it proved to be incompatible with the motherboard and had to go back.

After looking through all the tests again, not all the games do so great at 2560x1600, but most are still playable at 30+fps. Oblivion at 24fps with no AA, Fear at 32 at 4xAA, BF2 at 88 4xAA, Prey at 56 4xAA, HL2 at 58 4xAA. They did some SLI testing with 2 8800gtx's (the joys of being hardware reviewers), and just had some sick performance besides what I listed for the single card at high rez.

A