LCVG

Viva Pinata

fretster

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even realize this was due out today/yesterday. I may have to go look for it. Talk about your trainwreck segues going from GoW to this, though... :)

True true. But Viva has been a long time coming and I'm genuinely interested in the gameplay it offers. It'll be a hot to cold though when swapping that out with GoW :D

The game's been confirmed as region free by one of my importers. This news is particular interest to me as I believe it makes the game the first region free game on the 360 from Microsoft. Whether they did this in error, or it's a one off, or it's a sign of things to come remains to be seen I suppose. Hopefully the latter (I have to wonder if that’s the case and it’s in response to Sony’s region free PS3 claims).

Do the animals talk in the game? I've hated all the cartoon footage where they talk. It's all very Dreamworks, and thus deeply, deeply annoying.

I'd say in light of bald space marine violence, one could always do with a countermeasure of insanely cute fluffyness.

Gears is Region Free as well. Viva missed that title by three days.

Going back to this briefly. Someone pointed out to me on an other forum that Ninety Nine Nights was also region free, which would have made it the first 360 first party title to not be region locked. So it really would seem this is a change of heart from Microsoft.

In answer to my own question from earlier. From the IGN review:

The voices from the children's cartoon of the same name have been dropped from the game and been replaced with more appropriate animal sounds

Pleased to hear it.

Some other highlights from IGN:

There are some nasty critters and creatures that pop in every now and then to cause havoc, make your pi?atas ill, or even kill them outright. The appearance of these guys is also linked to your level, so novice players or children that are moving along at a slow pace won't find themselves overwhelmed trying to manage their space and keep everything from falling to bits. The introduction of more complicated gameplay as you progress to higher levels keeps things fresh and interesting for more talented players. It even gets to a point where there is a fair amount of difficulty in managing everything and making the tough decisions on which pi?atas you should keep and which you should sacrifice in the interest of keeping things under control.

The resource management and sour pi?ata aspects bring up some of the more disturbing elements present in Viva Pi?ata. If a pi?ata gets smashed, candy naturally pops out. Sounds normal. It gets creepy when all of the other pi?atas rush over to eat the remains. That's not even getting into the moments when pi?atas each other alive. There are also a whole host of ethical issues that pop up when you start playing. If you're short on cash, is it ok to just begin breeding pi?atas to sell for a profit? Should you smack Seedos in the face with a shovel in hopes of getting a few extra seeds to plant? It's all made even more disturbing by the fact that you're doing this to cute and cuddly critters, but sometimes disturbing gameplay makes for a good time. This is one of those cases.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/745/745371p1.html

The online features seem surprisingly limited.

I know Ruffneck got it. I may end picking it up in December once i finish all the new games.
Damn, noone ever calls me by my GamerTag anymore. :)

But Joeys right, I did get it and I'm liking it. It's fun, looks GREAT, and seems to have a lot of depth to it.

My girlfriend got it as well, and is already level 20. She's really enjoying it, but says it can get kind of daunting when there's a lot of things going on in your garden.

Got it, will post impressions later. Good price at FutureShop is/was hard to resist. Sigh :).

If there was a headshot Pinata I'd send it to you Mark. ;)

Started this up yesterday and it is a great deal of fun. It's a shame that, like F.E.A.R., this will probably get sideswiped by all the kick-ass titles coming out because it plays a lot like Animal Crossing with something to do. I liked AC a lot, but Viva Pinata is much more interesting to me thus far because it doesn't require me to be there every second of every day pulling weeds and running errands.

The ecosystem is nicely simulated and it sucks in a good way when you have to sacrifice a critter to get a newer, cooler one. (Mousemallow, NOOOO!) It'll make a nice downtime game when you need a strategy break from all the shooters :).

Started this up yesterday and it is a great deal of fun. It's a shame that, like F.E.A.R., this will probably get sideswiped by all the kick-ass titles coming out because it plays a lot like Animal Crossing with something to do. I liked AC a lot, but Viva Pinata is much more interesting to me thus far because it doesn't require me to be there every second of every day pulling weeds and running errands.

The ecosystem is nicely simulated and it sucks in a good way when you have to sacrifice a critter to get a newer, cooler one. (Mousemallow, NOOOO!) It'll make a nice downtime game when you need a strategy break from all the shooters :).

I had a Mousemallow once. Then a Syrupent came and ate him. DAMN YOU SYRUPENT! :furious

That's what happened to mine. Except I may have encouraged that to move the Syrupent in. And I may be planting more turnips to get another Mousemallow. So another Syrupent can eat it. So I can breed them. I'm a horrid person.

Mind you, if those freakin' birds go after my Whirlms, it's shovel time, baby!