LCVG

Room acoustics treatments

AlbertA

Albert,

It has been a while since I read up on room acoustics, but I can try to offer some help. You always want to try and eliminate the first reflection point of the sound. The ideal way to do this would be to place some sort of acoustic panel directly behind the speaker and directly in front of the speaker on the opposite wall. You will also get reflections from the side walls. You can find the reflection point by working down the wall with a mirror until you can see the speaker. You should then place a panel at this location. This is sort of the poor man's version of acoustic treatment, but it worked well for me.

Now that you know where to place the panels, you need to have panels to put in these locations. As noted in another thread, I built my own panels. If you have some basic tools (nailgun, sander) then you can build some nice panels at an affordable price. Below are the materials you will need:

- backing board (MDF board or some type of lighter wood, MDF is a bit dense)

- framing material (I used deck rail posts and cut them to proper size, about 2 inches thick)

- acoustic material (I used insulation but acoustic foam that looks like egg crate packing material may work better)

- speaker fabric (used to cover the panel)

- some type of attachment for wall hanging

Once you have all the materials contruction of the panels is a breeze. First you need to decide what size panels you want. Since I have bookshelf speakers I made two panels that were 2 x 2 and placed them behind my speakers. My three other panels (behind my couch) are 2 x 4.

Once you get the backing board cut to the proper size, taking your framing material and place it on the backing. Use a nailgun to attach the frame around the outside of the back. With the frame in place you are ready to put your acoustic material in the middle of the panel. I used a spray adhesive to attach my insulation, but I assume it will work just fine with the egg crate material as well.

Now that you have the material inside the frame, it is time to place the fabric over the front of the panel. This part works better if you have two people. Take the fabric and lay the panel face down on top of it. Pull the fabric tight around the back of the panel. Use a staple gun to attach the fabric to the back of the panel.

Finally, add the hangers to the back of the panel if you plan to hang it on the wall. I used 50 lbs rated picture hangers and they have worked very well.

Of course you can always buy panels, but making them yourself can save you a ton of money. If you have any other questions just let me know.