LCVG

Sony Playstation 3 Launch Thread (Japanese/USA)

Angry the Clown

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuing the age old trend of taking expensive new games console purchases to pieces on their day of launch:

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMQ9Qhnv4k8

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK604aDHibQ

Part 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5tegg4mA4c

Part 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8SbvcbcnNk

I had a quick look at the PS3 today at the local Target. I didn't get hands-on, as the guy playing was making it an all-day event apparently, & I was not waiting around. Motorstorm had a noticeably poor frame rate & also the sense of speed was a bit lacking, but it looked nice.

I'm assuming they're in all Targets by now if they've actually made it to my town, so it's worth checking out your local store if you would like to go hands-on.

I was in Target today and they had a PS3 up for play. This system was also frozen up at this location, but I had an employee reset it for me. I had a go at Motorstorm and that game looks amazing and plays great. There was a small group of people watching and drooling over the graphics, which included about 3 target employees who knew alot about the game, Im sure from playing it on their off time and watching others ;)

The gameplay, as you've seen in the video previews, is very realistic, especially when comparing to a game like Excite Truck.

Also, the controller felt very light and cheap, but I did like the new L2 and R2 triggers. They were used for gas and brake in Motorstorm.

Don't ditch your PS2 yet:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061114/tc_nm/sony_ps3_dc

Sony Corp.'s (6758.T) new PlayStation 3 game console has problems when playing about 200 software games from previous versions of the machine' date=' the Sankei daily reported on Tuesday.

The PS3 should be able to load and run games designed for earlier PlayStation models, but the paper said some sound and screen problems have been reported when these games were played on the new console.

[/quote']

sources from Gamestop management confirmed that 60% of the retail outlet's day one PS3 unit allocation will be the 20 gig HDD version.
Sorry if that is a repost, couldn't find the quote on the page anywhere. So most of the PS3's will be the version formally known as gimped. I find this a funny tailend to the long legacy of the two SKUs Sony said they wouldn't have.

From Gameindustry.biz

Enterbrain, publisher of Famitsu, has revealed the the tie-in ratio of software to PlayStation 3 sales is 0.98 – less than one game per console.

The figure suggests that a portion of the 88,400 units sold were bought with the intention of selling on as part of the 'grey market', the unofficial channel for second hand machines via internet auctions and retail stores, which label the stock as 'used'.

As previously reported, Namco Bandai's Mobile Suit Gundam and Ridge Racer 7 were the top-selling titles, clocking up sales of around 30,000 units each.

Has everyone forgotten the PS2 launch? It was almost the exact same damn thing. 500k or less consoles at launch.

I was there for the PS2 launch, but the troubles surrounding the impending PS3 launch seem to be magnified tenfold for reasons I can't pinpoint. Having ~100K fewer units is a major factor, but the urgency and backlash aren't commensurable to the situation at hand, i.e. they're disproportionately worse.

I knew the PS2 was launching with 500K, but I took a chance by joining a line outside of Best Buy four hours prior to the store's opening (I was #75, based on the ticket I received) and I secured a unit (it's still under my cabinet and it works perfectly to this day; eBay was never an option for me). What's the likelihood that the same BB will receive anywhere near the PS2's allocation? To me, it seems that more people are preoccupied with flipping their acquisition for a tidy profit than actually keeping it. Are people just greedier and more opportunistic than they were six years ago? Perhaps someone can better explain the overriding motivational factor(s) for this behavioural surge? :confused:

I was there for the PS2 launch, but the troubles surrounding the impending PS3 launch seem to be magnified tenfold for reasons I can't pinpoint.

I think the big factor that's making this launch worse is the fact that Sony at least launched the PS2 in Japan a few months before bringing the console to the US. Not only were there more units at launch, that number -- 500k -- was for North America and not the entire world. That alone makes a huge difference.

Has everyone forgotten the PS2 launch? It was almost the exact same damn thing. 500k or less consoles at launch. PS2's going for more than $1000 on eBay. Nobody knew where the hell to get one, everyone was complaining about pathetic allotments. Possibly the only real difference this time is people remember the last time, and are willing to go to further extremes like camping out longer to get one, whether it be to actually play it or to turn a profit.

I think it's on purpose as it gives Sony free marketing which creates real demand.

Someone, please refute this and tell me it ain't true.

Someone at AVS who bought one confirmed it. He was trying to use a 24" Computer Monitor(widescreen) w/o HDCP and it didn't work for movies or games.

Another thing:

If I were Nintendo or Microsoft, I'd be advertising like a mother right now. Something like "Can't find a PS3, Why do w/o Next gen when you can get one from us". Surely Sony fan boys won't fall but quite a few families would be tempted to just get their kid that instead of the next gen playstation especially after they hear the MSRP on it.

I think the big factor that's making this launch worse is the fact that Sony at least launched the PS2 in Japan a few months before bringing the console to the US. Not only were there more units at launch, that number -- 500k -- was for North America and not the entire world. That alone makes a huge difference.

The number of gamers (both hardcore and casual) has gone up by a huge amount since the PS2 launch. I can't think of a kid these days that can't handle a GC controller like it was a third hand, and many adults now play videogames (at least casually - like Tiger Woods.) My friend plays golf over live with his brother in law and father in law twice a week. My buddy is a gamer but the in-laws probably still have the 12:00 blinking on ther VCRs.

The demand has increased a ton because the pool of gamers is bigger than it ever has been. You aren't just waiting in line with 18 year old geeks for a PS2, there are soccer moms, nascar dads, young kids, teenagers, young metro adults, and more in line these days.

-------

And I would say Elite that MS and Nintendo need not advertise, they only have to keep the shelves stocked through Xmas. After 3-4 times going to BB and finding no PS3s, the full Wii/360 stacks will sell themselves. If someone is dedicated enough to resist that and wait, then there really is not point in advertising to them anyway - they are stone cold fans.

For those that are getting the PS3 at launch I'm happy to announce that the PS3 Online Network was turned on today at my companies San Jose facility. I can let you know that Sony spent a ton of money on this network and I hope they can make it as good or better than Xbox Live in the long run.

I'd also like to point out that if you have any issues with the PS3 network, do not call/complain to me :)

Feel free to ask me questions about it if you want, but there are things that I will not be able to disclose for obvious reasons.