LCVG

No more Official Playstation Magazine from ZiffDavis

dogbert

Ziff-Davis announce they're cancelling the print magazine of Official PlayStation Magazine...

Apparently ZD/1Up will be providing editorial content for Sony's online network on the PS3. The reason it's been cancelled? Officially, the lack of demand for demo disks with move to online delivery of demos. Unofficially, their contract with Sony prevented them from putting all of their OPSM content on the 1up website - I have no idea if it's true, but that's the scuttlebutt posted elsewhere...

January 07 is going to be the last issue, after a nine year run. Very suprising news, to me. Talk about the death of print all you want, this is the official PlayStation magazine. Can OXM last much longer?

Can OXM last much longer?

Can any gaming magazine last much longer? Gamers are just so internet savvy that by the time a magazine prints, the information in it is 2-3 monts old for gamers in most cases. Its always sad to see a mag go down, still remember the day my favorite magazine of all time got canned very sad indeed.

Can any gaming magazine last much longer? Gamers are just so internet savvy that by the time a magazine prints, the information in it is 2-3 monts old for gamers in most cases. Its always sad to see a mag go down, still remember the day my favorite magazine of all time got canned very sad indeed.

...PC Accelerator? :D

mother fucking PCXL. Getting that mag in the mail was like christmas once a month.

For me as a kid this was Game Players.

Game Players ruled. :)

I actually had PCXL and Game Players subscriptions for a time there. Oh memories.

I still get EGM for free (there's ALWAYS a way to get EGM free) for water closet reading.

As long as we have a toilet to sit on.

my trusty MacBook Pro usually goes with me into battle.

On topic though, I wonder how long even some of the multi-format gaming mags can make it, especially some of the smaller ones like Play. Game Informer survives because of their low overhead and relationship with GameStop, which is strange that they survived yet GMR failed with their EB tie in...for the record I liked GMR a lot. Someone please put a bullet into GamePro. Do any of our international readers know of issues facing your local mags? This can't just be a US only issue.

I just started getting this free somehow (forget how) a few months ago. I've got a pile of demo discs to play.

At least the days of paying $6-$10 for a demo disc is over. In the early PS2 days we had the demo disks to keep us interested. There weren't a lot of great PS2 games for us to play. We played quite a bit of the ESPN Snowboarding and then later the SSX demo.

By the way, I find the reviews in the single-console mags almost pointless, they're so whacked. So for me it's the previews and the demo discs.

I've actually been toying with a proposal for a games magazine on and off for a couple of months now. I'm just quietly researching the market and my options really. Given what I am considering, it's probably going to be near on impossible to launch anyway without some industry connections, as I'm trying to do something different here. I'm of the opinion magazines can stand the test of time, it' just that they need to restructure themselves in regards to what they offer the reader, rather than competing with websites which can deliver news and review content long before a magazine goes to press. That said, my proposal is easier to self publish online than in print – certainly cheaper anyway – but either way it’s unlikely to happen without the contacts to get it off the ground and keep it running month after month (though I had thought of it as a tri-monthly thing actually). This makes me sad and a bit angry, obviously.

Can any gaming magazine last much longer? Gamers are just so internet savvy that by the time a magazine prints, the information in it is 2-3 monts old for gamers in most cases.

I think a gaming mag can survive, it just needs to provide content of a type and quality not readily available on the web. That content can't rely on reviews, because like you and others point out, reviews are readily available for free on the web.

As much as I enjoy Arts and Letters Daily, for example, I still look forward to every issue of the Wilson Quarterly. When it comes to videogames, I would actually prefer something like the Escapist in a longer-form hard copy than on the web.

When it comes to videogames, I would actually prefer something like the Escapist in a longer-form hard copy than on the web.

You'd buy into my idea for a Magazine then? Woo. One sale. I think the Escapist works quite well online, but there are tangents off of that kind of premise nobody has really explored either on or offline to my liking which is why I've been toying with ideas recently.

Do any of our international readers know of issues facing your local mags? This can't just be a US only issue.

The UK magazine market has been in a downward trend for a number of years though a lot of that is due to saturation & consolidation around Future. The UK is a small market but at its peak during the PS1, OPSM UK was selling ridiculous figures, but it's gone way way done. The likes of Edge have always been niche, but solid. Future bought out a lot of rivals & simply had too many magazines out on the shelves.

I get a lot of pleasure out of reading things like "Bruce vs Tom" in GFW (sigh) and my monthly Edge.

It’s distressing the monopoly Future have on the magazine market here, especially for games – although Imagine Publishing claws some readership back with Games TM, Retro Gamer and Play. There’s still a lot of choice out there but like Brian says, the market is dwindling yet I still believe I may have stumbled on an idea that appeals to the Edge like niche, without actually having to compete with Edge (I wouldn’t want to do that as I like reading Edge). It’s been on my mind for a number of months now. I’ve bored Romier to tears talking about it on occasion on AOL, but I’m beginning to take it that little bit more seriously however as the more I think on the ideas, the more I like it.