LCVG

PSP 3.0 Firmware

Magness

So when is this getting released? I was under the impression that the PSP 3.0 firmware (with Playstation store support, the ability to download PS1 games, etc) was going to be out yesterday (11/17) for the PS3 launch... So far, its a no show. Did I miss a change in release dates?

Everyone on the official forums seems pretty pissed too. Looks like I wasn't the only one expecting it/missed the "change" in release date... Anyway, the current consensus is that it will be out sometime this weekend but, I haven't found any info anywhere so I think they're just guessing.

Ugghhh... Just an update, Sony are still saying (via 1-800#) it will officially be released this week but, as it is already Monday in Japan, I take that to mean sometime this coming week (11/20 thru 11/26). Just dissapointed as I REALLY want to try out PS1 games on my PSP (legally, and not via the emulator thats already widely available). I hope its good because (to put it bluntly) its sad that the "homebrew" emulator has already been available for quite some time and works fairly well while the official solution has taken this long. :(

And it looks like initially, to download/buy PS1 games for the PSP, you do need to access it via the PS3's online store. Poo.

Seconded.:td

Some positives though include a nifty remote player feature:

You can display a PLAYSTATION?3 system screen on a PSP™ system and play content that is on the PS3™ system. To use this feature, you must adjust the necessary settings on the PSP™ system and the PS3™ system.

No, you can hook it up via USB

Ah, excellent. Forgot about that entirely and that should work wonderfully for transferring PSX games which is nice, but using some of the new features like remote play and other options would more than likely necessitate the Wifi connection portion of the PS3, no?

O.k. the 3.0 firmware is officially out now. Some notes from my use of it so far:

The ability to turn off Auto-Start for UMD's is GREAT.

The new visualizer while playing audio files is nice.

The new remote play stuff is cool - if you have a PS3.

No lock-ups or freezing issues so far... (unlike 2.8)

To get PS1 games on PSP it does require a PS3 currently...

Sony has said on the offical forums that there will be another firmware release before Christmas with direct downloads to the PSP.

Overall I like the new firmware changes but, its dissapointing that they still don't have direct downloads for PS1 emulation, etc. The Homebrew community has had this in custom firmware for some time now and to restrict access to features from customers that don't have a PS3 is a bad idea. My opinion is that until the (next) firmware comes out, they are effectively pushing customers to go Homebrew if they can't afford a PS3.

:(

Heheheh O.k. well, 1 day later and 3.01 firmware is out to fix an apparent security hole in 3.0. My recommendation is to wait on this update to see if the security hole allows for more functionality than the release itself ;) In other news, Joystiq has a quick write up about downloading PS1 games through the PS3 and how it all works currently. In good news, it looks like the biggest download so far is only 380mb and all titles (so far) are $4.50 ea.

Edit: Per dogberts comments below I can only say "Bleh"

:(