LCVG

Wii Virtual Console Discussion

Starhawk

I didnt see a good place to talk about VC games, so I thought this thread might be a good idea.

When you go to Nintendo's online store on Wii, you can buy Wii Points right there with your credit card in denomination of $10, $20, $30, and $50. The exchange rate is 1 Wii point = $.01 so 2000 Wii points is $20.00. Point cards are also available at retailers like Itunes.

I've only bought one game so far: The Legend of Zelda. I decided to play through some of it last night, but I remembered there was a way to get to the Second Quest without having to beat the game first. Just enter your name as "ZELDA".

I also remembered why I had never beaten Zelda's second quest. Damn is it hard! Im in the first dungeon last night, just one room away from the boss, and there are like 4 blue boomerang guys and fire balls flying everywhere. Keep in mind I've only have 3 hearts and a wooden sword! Seriously! I'm not sure how far I ever got in this back on the NES, but man, Im up for a challenge if I decide to go any further.

Any old Zelda alums care to tell me how much torture im about to put myself through? Im sure Jeff will respond. :D

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I also remembered why I had never beaten Zelda's second quest. Damn is it hard! Im in the first dungeon last night, just one room away from the boss, and there are like 4 blue boomerang guys and fire balls flying everywhere. Keep in mind I've only have 3 hearts and a wooden sword! Seriously! I'm not sure how far I ever got in this back on the NES, but man, Im up for a challenge if I decide to go any further...

"Save/Reload State" is your friend. Oh, wait...

I'm not sure how to play N64 games (like Mario 64). I prefer the GameCube controller over the classic controller, but I could REALLY go for a good, non-analog Z button.

The classic controller just confuses me. If it can only be used for pre-GC games then why the heck are the triggers analog? And dual thumbsticks? The right stick works well enough as the C buttons for Mario 64, but it's still pretty odd jabbing a joystick around knowing that you're just emulating 4 buttons. And I don't care for the thumbstick placement (ya, I hate Sony's controllers, too). Seems like it was created to also work with GameCube games but then they changed their minds and just left it.

Any old Zelda alums care to tell me how much torture im about to put myself through? Im sure Jeff will respond.

Damn, I didn't see this until now. Otherwise I would have responded sooner.

The second question on Zelda is surely a lot harder, but not to the point where it's impossible I think. The two main things that you have to keep in mind in the second quest are:

• The red skulls will make it so that you can never use your sword. The only way to reactivate your sword is to either use a life potion or bump into the blue skulls.

• There are some wall in the dungeons that you can't bomb through, but you can walk through them. Just walk up against the wall for a few seconds and Link will pass right on through. If I remember correctly, you won't see this until the third labyrinth.

Other than that, I would just try to explore the overworld as best you can. They messed with the placement of the dungeons so you may have a harder time finding them. Good luck, Cam!

With that said, what does everyone think of how the games look and/or run. I'm particularly interested in whether or not the game looks sharper running in (I presume) 480p.

Game Spot has a review up of Super Mario 64. They give it an 8.0:

One issue with the visuals is that the Wii Virtual Console will stretch this game (and others) out to a 16:9 aspect ratio if you play it on a widescreen TV, irrespective of the Wii display settings you've selected, even though the game was designed for standard 4:3 aspect ratio screens. Regardless, this version of Super Mario 64 probably looks a bit better than the original, especially when you're running in 480p over a component cable. The game gets sharp in a way that it couldn't on the N64, though some edges get a bit too sharp, making seams in the world and some other edges look a little weird. Also, the higher resolution certainly doesn't do the textures any favors, but considering this game is a decade old now, it still looks quite nice. The emulation appears to be accurate, though we did notice the game pause for a split second on a few occasions, which stuck out a bit. The sound and music were among the high points of the original game, and all that catchy music and all the lively sound effects come across really well on the Wii.

Gerstmann goes on to say that the game holds up quite well by today's standards and aside from some dated graphics and cumbersome camera control, it's every bit as good as you remember it.

Other than that, I would just try to explore the overworld as best you can. They messed with the placement of the dungeons so you may have a harder time finding them. Good luck, Cam!

Cool thanks! I didnt know either of those two points. I did realize though that I didnt have to kill everything in the first dungeon and I just ran past the blue guys, bombed the wall and faced the boss. Then I went looking around for the next one. I know where all of the hidden entrances are from the first game so I just randomly found my way to one and it was Dungeon 2!

I am holding out for Mario RPG though since I never played it on the SNES.

That will be a big VC purchase for me. Nintendo never released Mario RPG in Europe, and the specific cartridge of the game was a bit temperamental with the import game adapter I was using on my UK SNES to play titles from Japan and the US at the time. I did download the rom of it to try on the PC once, but I never got into the whole PC console emulating thing in a big way, so I am really looking forward to spending some proper time with it. In fact RPGs Europe was deprived of will probably make up a good part of my virtual console library. I?ve still got my US N64 and all my games, but it?s boxed away due to lack of space. Same for my SNES and Sega Megadrive, so to give me some level of convenience I?m sure I?ll buy a few games I do actually own on those console on the VC.

A few fellas in the UK who post at my other gaming haunt NTSC-UK got their US Wiis today. Again, online functions are working just fine. Funnily Enough Videogames Plus in Canada who were initially deprived on any stock got some in the end, and those who got their names first on the list a while ago (I missed out entirely) and didn?t cancel when they heard there would be none were the ones who got their units today.

I tried Mario 64 with a GC controller last night and found it frustrating. You've got to push the left "trigger" all the way in until it clicks for the Z button. So instead of long jumping I'd often butt stomp (because my Z would happen after my A, even though I started pressing Z a lot sooner).

It's not as bad with the classic controller, but like I've already said: don't like that much, either.

It's a shame because it really looks a nice bit sharper and runs beautifully, but without a decent controller I may have to pass on N64 games. I really can't imagine playing something like GoldenEye without a good Z trigger and rumble, anyways (since I could still break out an actual N64 if I ever really felt the need).

I'm glad I've got a GC Hori pad. Should rock for SNES stuff. And NES stuff, but the remotes are perfect for NES games anyways.

Someone's gotta be working on controller remakes, right? I'd definitely buy one (or 4!) for N64 games...