LCVG

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Post-Release Discussion

EnemaEms

===============================================

ADMIN NOTE: You can read the pre-release discussion of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess here.

===============================================

I played Zelda for about 90 minutes last night and it starts off slow...I mean real slow. However, everything is picking up now. Got the slingshot and it works real well with the Wii controller. I also got the fishing rod (this will be very fun), and I got the wooden sword. Sword play was easier than I thought it would be. Just a few simple flick of the wrists and away you go. The greatest is how easy it is to full of the 360 sword move now. Just flick the nunchuk left and right and voila...instant slice and dice. Horse riding is real easy and reading the manual mentions that bombs can now be attached to arrows. :)

So far Zelda, Rayman and Wii Bowling have made the console worth more than I paid for it (haven't even opened Monkey Ball yet). I was a bit skeptical about the Wii in general, but after playing it....it is a very cool system. Zelda may just win Game of the Year if this thing is going to play out like I expect.

-Dean-

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the differences of Cube vs. Wii... a friend of mine is doing the Tech Editing and Screen Grabs of the Cube version, he's been at Nintendo for 8 days straight getting the guide done.... he's played both. Last night he told me the Wii version is "much, much smoother", "Frame rate is far better on the Wii"... so, if control isn't going to sell you, maybe that will. Just thought I'd share his opinions...

T.

About the differences of Cube vs. Wii... a friend of mine is doing the Tech Editing and Screen Grabs of the Cube version, he's been at Nintendo for 8 days straight getting the guide done.... he's played both. Last night he told me the Wii version is "much, much smoother", "Frame rate is far better on the Wii"... so, if control isn't going to sell you, maybe that will. Just thought I'd share his opinions...

T.

And another crack in Keith's armor appears.

-Dean-

All right, this is now the official post-release discussion thread for this game. Please continue all discussion of the game here.

Oh, and I know I don't need to say this, but please use spoiler tags for anything that might give away an important part of the story or game. The rest of us want to remain in the dark until we get there ourselves. :)

Im glad you mentioned that Dean, because I didnt totally understand the Wii controller setup. Once I completed Step 2 (the one where you make the colored area the same size of the sensor bar) it said to make the cursor overlap the Orange circle. To do that I'd have to move away from my TV by a few feet. Is step 3 really asking you to move from where you are currently sitting?

I ordered the component cables from the Big N this morning because I want this game to look the best that it can. I spent another 90 minutes with it last night. I spent time

in the Twilight World as the wolf

and it was fantastic. The controls were so good. You get two cool features when playing as your alternate form. Pressing down on the d-pad lets you dig and pressing either left or right will turn your "senses" on. Doing this allows you to see spots on the ground to dig which will net you hearts and ruppees and also to

see the spirits of the living in the Twilight World.

I finished right after I got the sword and shield. I will say this, when the character that rides your back as a wolf notices something for you to do, the laugh comes through the Wiimote and it is friggin' creepy as all hell.

-Dean-

Okay, so I'm roughly fifteen hours into this now and have finally made it to the third dungeon. I was going to check it out tonight, but I suddenly realized that this was going to be something similar to the

Water Temple in Ocarina of Time

, so I shut it off. If it's anything like the dungeon in that game, it's probably in my best interest to not start that level at one in the morning.

So far, I'm very impressed with what I've seen. It does feel very much like Ocarina of Time right now, down to the point where your meeting a lot of the same races in the same order. However, from what I've read, things change significantly as you get further into the game. In fact, it sounds like the game designers purposefully play on your expectations to surprise you. I'm looking forward to getting past this next dungeon because I figure that's when the real meat and potatoes of the gameplay and story line open up. It should be good.

The actual overworld in this game is definitely impressive. To be honest, one of the few things I found disappointing about Ocarina of Time was that the map didn't quite live up to my expectations in terms of sheer size. Even though that's still a monster of a game even by today's standards, I always wanted a dreamed of a slightly bigger map in that game. Still, there are sections in Twilight Princess's version of Hyrule Field that absolutely dwarf what you see in its predecessor. Fortunately, the game features a pretty good warp system that's made travel from one place to the next fairly easy. Riding on your horse certainly helps as well. My only gripe here is the need to break the map into different sections. After playing games like The Wind Waker and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas where there were no load screens at all once you stepped outside, it’s a bit disappointing to have to wait for sections to load playing this.

As for the oh-so-controversial matter of control, I'm of the opinion that the Wii remote works very well in a game like this. It will take a little while to get accustomed to swinging the controller around to slash your sword, but once you do, it's quite responsive. Not only that, but I sort of feel like I'm getting pulled into these battles more in much the same way the Rumble Pak pulled me into Star Fox 64 back in the day. There's something about actually swinging your arm to attack (even if it is just a small movement) feels more visceral than a simple button press ever could. I just wish that Nintendo had happed the movements of the remote to specific movments in the game. I think that this could have made the sword fighting even better.

As for projectile weapons, I'm of the opinion that using a control stick for this sort of thing is cumbersome and archaic now. The level of precision you can reach moving the on-screen cursor around is equaled only by a keyboard and mouse. I seriously can't wait to play a good FPS on this system soon.

The only issue I have is using the Nunchuck for the spin attack. Sometimes it seems like when I shake it to initiate the attack, it doesn't read my movements or there's a delay in Link's response.

As for everything else, I'll just say that my thoughts are still pending until I see more of the game. I'm definitely digging the darker storyline and more mature theme though, and can't wait to see where they take things from here. If they do what I think they're going to do at the end of this game, it should be very sweet indeed. I suppose I'll find out soon enough... after another 55 hours of play time!

As for projectile weapons, I'm of the opinion that using a control stick for this sort of thing is cumbersome and archaic now. The level of precision you can reach moving the on-screen cursor around is equaled only by a keyboard and mouse. I seriously can't wait to play a good FPS on this system soon.

Did you play Monkey Wars on Super Monkey Ball? It's kind of like an FPS preview. I does feel very close to a mouse. :D

I still haven't had a chance to play more Zelda. I stole my 40ft subwoofer cable and jury-rigged it together with another 10ft cable to get the Wii video looking prettier for Zelda, but I haven't had any time to play it (work, black friday, etc). :( I've only played about 20 minutes of it.

I was worried about normal games on the Wii, but being able to plop each arm down on armrests/pillows/etc is very comfy :D

Just started this and I'm a little under two and a half hours right now, just finishing up the first wolf section (is that really a spoiler, it's in the manual :D). The wolf controls are really, really good, as Dean said. I can't help but agree. It took me a while to get used to the Link maneuvering, but I do love thwacking baddies with the Wii-mote. The level of polish the game is exuding thus far is making it a blast to play and between it and Trauma Center the Wii's gonna be busy for the next couple weeks. :tu

Completed the first temple tonight. Oh my god, the boomerang is the best it's ever been. I just love it. I figured after they translated it into Wind Waker there'd be no way to improve it, oh man, oh man! I could play with that damn thing all night. Loved the way they incorporated it into some of those puzzles and the first boss was awesome too. Rock on!

Mark,

Yeah, the boomerang is pretty cool, isn't it? I especially love how they incorporated the lock-on mechanism from The Wind Waker into the new one, but managed to make it just a little bit better.

Along similar lines, the more I play this game, the more I'm sold on the notion that the Wii remote is an ideal for shooters. As I've played more and more of Twilight Princess (30+ hours now!), I find the level of speed and accuracy you can achieve with it is nothing short of astounding. Tonight I played through the riverboat mini-game in which you ride a raft down a river and shoot various targets along the way. Although I don't think it would have been too difficult to use an analog joystick on the GameCube version, it was made so much easier by the free-hand control that the Wii provided. Honestly, it's that good.

I think I said this before, but I didnt like the speaker at first, but after I adjusted the volume (I actually had to turn it down) I love it and it fits well into the game.

As far as using the controller to aim, im with you guys. I remember watching people play the demo levels and i assumed it'd be really hard to hold your hand steady to aim your bow and arrow at something so small, but man does it work well. I just beat the stage that they pulled the demo from and it's almost too easy to shoot things with arrows.

Well I finished it today (wife was on a business trip so I was able to cram in a lot of playtime). My last save was at 53 hours.... and I didn't do a lot of the side quests.

I think I only turned to the net for three parts where I got stuck and couldn't find a way out :)

Excellent game all around - can't wait for the next and may play through an older one in the meantime...

I think I said this before, but I didnt like the speaker at first, but after I adjusted the volume (I actually had to turn it down) I love it and it fits well into the game.

Really? I can't stand the speaker on the remote. I just turned it down all the way and left it there. Perhaps if I were using my TV speakers, I would use it, but the quality of the speaker in the remote is nowhere near what I get from my home theater system.