LCVG

Nintendo Wii Tech Issues - Discuss any hardware/software related technical problems

JFo

Well, this sucks.

I get my Nintendo Wii, hook it up to my home theater system, connect it to my home WiFi network, get the internal software updated, create my Mii, add a few friends codes, adjust all my settings on the system to the way I want, and now the bloody disc drive doesn't seem to work! :bh

Whenever I try inserting a disc, I can hear the Wii trying to pull the disc in, but it doesn't. As a result, it can't read any discs and I'm stuck here without any means of playing the games.

I've tried calling Nintendo for technical support, but they basically told me to call back later due to a high volume of incoming calls. So, here I am, not exactly sure what to do. I'll probably register my Wii at Nintendo.com and have them replace my system under warranty. But having experienced something similar with the DS Lite a few months back, I know that this may take a couple weeks for them to take care of. Ugh, this makes me sick.

Is anyone else having problems?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

Sorry man, I feel bad for you, you being Nintendo-guy and all. :td

I expected the Wii to be above the fray when it came to hardware reliability. I'm on my 3rd 360 already, and I will soon own a Wii also. I'm guessing that you are the less than 1% that will receive a bum unit. I hope this gets resolved for you quickly, good luck!

Well, I'm not even so certain it's a bum unit, so much as it's a unit that could have been damaged in the process of shipping it to me. I suppose it doesn't really matter since it's broken anyway and doesn't work.

I sent Nintendo an e-mail since they won't take any more phone calls for the time being. Unless they get back to me later tonight, I'm going to try giving them a call sometime this evening. Hopefully by then the call volume will die down and they'll accept new phone calls.

Cameron;

Yep, that video pretty much demonstrates what's wrong with mine. The only difference is that on mine you can actually hear the sound of the motor inside trying to accept the disc. There must be something loose inside that's preventing it from being able to accept discs. When I shake the system, I can hear something rattling around.

This seems to be the most common fault being reported so far. I can’t help but wonder whether it’s a reliability issue with slot loading drives, though all I have to go on are stories from the days I’d follow HTPC news and almost everyone would be recommending steering clear of slot loading drives.

Aside from yours Jeff I’ve noticed about three other reports of similar problems though yours is slightly different in that you’re hearing something rattling in the unit. Really sorry to hear of the fault either way. Mine will really need an extensive playtest before it is shipped.

Score one for Nintendo customer service! :rock

I finally got through to their representatives and was able to explain my issue with them. The gentleman I spoke with set me up with a replacement system that should ship either today or tomorrow via second-day service. They're going to charge my Master Card, but they will issue me a full credit once they receive the busted system. A best case scenario I suspect has the system shipping out today and arriving on Wednesday. Otherwise, I will likely have it on Friday, I think.

I'm still bummed that I can't do anything more than play with the menu and perhaps download some Virtual Console games. However, I am thrilled that the turn around time on this is going to be much less than I was originally anticipating.

Now, they just need to make sure that the replacement unit works. *knocks on wood* :)

Nintendo's customer service has always been awesome, but then I'm a bit biased as I used to work in the call center (10 years ago now). I'm pretty sure your new machine will ship out of the Redmond CS site, so depending on when you contacted them and where you live, you may actually get it Weds. Did they give you a tracking number for the new one? I seem to recall that used to be standard procedure.

A

Well, I checked back with Nintendo.com today and it looks like they're still in the process of preparing my order for a replacement Wii. However, they are shipping it out UPS Red and there's already a tracking number associated with the order. I'm really hoping that means it goes out today and arrives tomorrow (and works!).

*keeps fingers crossed*

Wow, that was fast :)

I had a problem last night (which I may have already posted about in another thread :/). For the first time I had the blue slot light come on to indicate my Wii had received something and then I coulnd't turn it on. The power buttons on the remotes and the power button on the Wii itself did nothing (nor did holding them for any length of time). The remotes just flashed all fours lights for a few seconds like they always do when search for the Wii, but they didn't seem to be finding it. I unplugged the Wii for a second and then everything was fine when I plugged it back in. Since then I've seen the blue light twice and turned it on without a problem.

Here's hoping it's just a minor software kink that they can work out and not a hardware problem. It's fun getting up in the morning and seeing that light on :)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had a problem where you were in a Wii channel, clicked to return to the Wii Home Menu, and had to sit at a black screen for awhile before the home menu appeared?

This has happened to me couple of times, and I think it mainly happens when I enter or exit the Mii channel. One time, I think I was going into the Mii channel, and the screen stayed blank for at least 30 seconds. Nothing on the Wii Controller worked, and just as I went up to the console to press Power or Reset, the Mii Plaza popped up on my screen. I thought it might have something to do with data transfer, like the console was downloading new people in my parade or something before it came on.

Yesterday, I was exiting the Mii Channel and it happened again. This time it lasted much longer than before. The Wii controllers were still connected, but no buttons on the controller or console worked (I could eject the disc though). I think I noticed that the fan had turned off though as I went to pull the power cord from the back. Plugged it back in and it works fine now.

Not sure what's going on, but I sure as hell went ahead and transfered my saves to an SD card!