LCVG

Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix (trailers n' that)

Angry the Clown

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s the official site.

http://www.harrypotterorderofthephoenix.com/

Not much up there, though there are a host of stills. Dursleys back for the fifth outing thankfully. There’s also a shot of Luna Lovegood (no this isn’t an old Bond film), and a couple of Imelda Staunton as Mrs Umbridge.

I mentioned this earlier in the year in the old Goblet thread, but director David Yates’ ‘go to’ composer Nicholas Hooper is doing the score for the film this time. I’ve honestly no idea what to expect from him I have to say. This will be his first major film score, as he’s only really done television in the past.

The sneak peek looks promising... hopefully the movie will live up to expectations (and the book, though I refuse to hold my breath on that one without the aid of some gillyweed...)

I've yet to see a Harry Potter movie that I've liked. Hopefully this one won't suck.
Really...what don't you like about them? I went into the first one expecting to hate it, but damn I've loved each and everyone of them.

It's really interesting to me how there seems to be such a disparity in peoples' feelings about the Potter movies -- more so than most other movies out there. I'm not sure exactly what it is about the Potter flicks that makes for such a rift. Perhaps it has to do with how well each movie maps to our own individual imaginings?

In my personal estimation, the first movie was by far my favorite, with each successive film dropping lower and lower. I suspect it's partly because as the books get longer, they need to cut more and more out for the screenplay... which makes the films seem choppy and incomplete (after having read the books).

Also, the loss of Richard Harris as Dumbledore was most unfortunate - I just don't feel that Michael Gambon fits the role as well. He portrays a different Dumbledore than Harris did - and in my mind, he misses the mark.

Anyway, I'm hoping for some good direction (I feel that it's been a bit spotty in the past couple of movies) and some great action. We'll see what happens...

My favorite Potter film by far was Prisoner of Azkhaban. My least favorite was the second film (name escapes me at the moment). I've never read any of the books so I'm coming at this strictly from watching the movies. None of the films really captured me, though Azkhaban came closest.

The teaster for Phoenix looked good. It's nice to see some scenery outside of Hogwarts.

Anyway, I'm hoping for some good direction (I feel that it's been a bit spotty in the past couple of movies) and some great action. We'll see what happens...

Since we're discussing the rift in opinions, I'll go ahead and add more to the alternate viewpoint pot by saying I feel the exact opposite. Keep in mind that I've never read the books and frankly have no interest in doing so (since I've never found Potter to be all that interesting to begin with).

My wife is a fan, however, and practically dragged me along to the first film. A movie that I find to be almost uniformally dull. I found the directing by Columbus to be uninspired and lacking any real sense of visual acumen. I also feel that it's a poorly paced film that features some absolutely atrocious SFX even by the standards of its time.

The sequel, Chamber of Secrets, improved somewhat but still left me underwhelmed. The pacing was better, the acting a bit more natural, and the story was generally better but I still found myself looking at my watch waiting for it to end.

Prisoner of Azkhaban was the first film that I found myself actually interested in the proceedings. By this point I had relegated myself to the "Potter experience" as I've come to call it since I had accepted that I would see the films along with my wife by hook or crook. Azkhaban finally pushed the production to a level I found visually pleasing. The acting was a marked improvement, the pacing was excellent, I loved the new characters, and well it just worked for me. Strangely enough, I found myself interested enough to seek out some info in the next movie...

Which brings me to Goblet of Fire which is my absolute favorite of the four. It's been said that the movie leaves something to be desired for fans of the book. That it cuts too many corners etc. That's fine but I've never read the book so, frankly, I don't care. The story was excellent (loved the Tri-wizard tourney, the ballroom dance etc.), the film was the most visually pleasing of the series, and I felt the actors had really hit thier strides. It also happens to feature my favorite music in the series thanks to Patrick Doyle.

So yeah, there's a fun range of opinions on the Potter films. Order looks pretty good to me thus far, and I'll definitely check it out when it's released. We'll see if it stacks up to Goblet and Azkhaban for me.

Azkhaban is by far the best of the current Potter films. It's the only one I've bothered to buy. I agree that the acting and production values were better, and I enjoyed the darker mood of the movie.

Oh wait, I also picked up Goblet of Fire used, 'cause dragons are cool. (I watched Reign of Fire three times hoping it would become good somehow...)

The first two I find to be enjoyable enough, though they amount to little more than passable family fluff, neither daring enough to do anything interesting in adapting the source material. This is partly down to the screenwriting being so very close to the book, written out of fear of upsetting fans, and also down to Columbus’ lack of talent in being able to breathe life into the subject matter.

Azkaban and Goblet however had some real spark. The writing got better, acknowledging it’s impossible, and generally foolish either way, to try and adapt a novel verbatim for the screen and they stood up to the reality that what works on the page can’t always translate for cinema without some additions, some deletions, and some structural re-arrangements. For the last two, bringing in directors with real creative vision gave the film series and wonderful shot in the arm.

Well, after reading all of your posts, I felt compelled to try and re-assess (as objectively as possible), the first 4 Potter movies.

I think what I'm really hung up on is the fact that I really, really enjoyed the books. As a result, the more the movies tended to deviate from the "actual" story and what my mind's eye pictured, the more I became frustrated with the films.

I suppose if I hadn't read the books, I'd probably agree with Romier, et al. The stories do get darker and more interesting with each successive movie, and the amount of action/suspense definitely grows. But having read the books (and having enjoyed them as much as I did), it's hard to disassociate them from the films.

I guess I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to adaptations. I suppose that's why I loved Jackson's LotR movies so much - they came SO close to what I had imagined while reading the books - without really cutting anything too critical out of the storyline. Now, if they managed to apply the same level of attention and production value to the Potter films as they did to the LotR films, I think I might be humming a different tune...

Sounds like I might have a fairly unique perspective. I watched the first Harry Potter movie before I was married, and I absolutely loathed it. I skipped the second one completely, but by the time the third had come out I had a new family and a ten-year-old son, who of course was absolutely wild about seeing it, so I took him. To my surprise, I loved it. I thought it was one of the best movies of the year.

Afterwards, I decided to read the books in preperation for the fourth movie. My wife and I read the books together. We got through all six in a row. The books were wonderful and immediately jumped to the top of my list of favorite books ever; well, right beneath The Lord of the Rings, The Dark Tower series and The Stand. I rewatched the first movie and watched the second movie for the first time. I still don't particular care for the first one, though I like it better now. Its just too plodding, too faithful to the book for its own good and lacking in style. The second movie is a bit better, but only because it has a better source to work from. The third movie holds up very well, with some slight omissions that I can forgive.

The fourth movie was a disaster for me, though. It was the Cliffs Notes version of the novel, and not in a good way. It just seemed like somebody took the most action-oriented scenes from the book and threw them up on the screen. Too little character development, too little nuance and too little emotion, especially at the end. The book's ending had me in tears; the movie left me unmoved.

I have little hope for Order, as it is probably the most difficult to adapt; not only for length, but also for the kind of material presented. Lots of talking, lots of scheming, which leads up to an exciting conclusion. The problem will be getting to that conclusion.

One of the issues impeding my enjoyment of the series is that around the fourth installment (book & movie) the characters are all reaching that age where they turn into whiny, obnoxious, snotty teenagers. It angers me so.

I can't sympathize with these characters, I just want to slap them!

That being said, I'll keep reading/watching the story, as I'm too far in to quit now...

But the fourth movie... man... all the plot they cut out but they had time for 20 minutes of "dance" ... wtf... I guess the kiddies like it?

I only saw the first two. And since I didn't read the books, I'm not clouded by "fan judgements" about how the movies holds up to, succeeds, or fails as an adaption. I just have my "Did I enjoy this movie" goggles on.

And I really didn't. I have heard mostly that they get better with time. So I have a little itch to try them again. And perhaps I will if my daughter likes them. I'm kind of getting a "Tony Hawk" vibe from this series. A new movie comes out so often, from a brand exposure standpoint it just seems such a diluted franchise. Like it should be saturday morning cartoon rather than a movies series.

the characters are all reaching that age where they turn into whiny, obnoxious, snotty teenagers. It angers me so.

I can't sympathize with these characters, I just want to slap them!

But the fourth movie... man... all the plot they cut out but they had time for 20 minutes of "dance" ... wtf... I guess the kiddies like it?

That was my biggest complaint (with Harry) in book 5. I hope they tone it down for the movie.