LCVG

Reasons to loathe the Hollywood studio mentality (#876935637)

Angry the Clown

That's what makes me so angry about it. They'll let an argument over money get in the way of trying to make the best film possible. I think New Line will come up against quite a backlash with the decision, as I think they're too stupid to realise just how aware the mass audience is of the dedication PJ and Weta put into the Lord of the Rings trilogy... and the same executive idiots who fail to recognise this are those who keep hiring Brett Ratner, making Lindsey Lohan movies, Shrek movies and hiring Brett Ratner some more (sorry, that’s the best way I could think of linking my pictorial outburst to the Hobbit news).

Can't blame New Line, PJ is trying to make money from them that isn't his. Everyone knows that New Line envisioned and created everything LotR.

Well, they did pony up the cash to make three gigantic scale movies back to back with the guy whose biggest success to date had been "The Frighteners".

I'm starting to think that these movies will never get made. It really depends on getting the film cast, and if one of them won't come without PJ, then there could be a reconciliation. Of course, that implies logic, so it's more than likely that McG will make the Hobbit now :)

nd the same executive idiots who fail to recognise this are those who keep hiring Brett Ratner, making Lindsey Lohan movies, Shrek movies and hiring Brett Ratner some more (sorry, that?s the best way I could think of linking my pictorial outburst to the Hobbit news).

I get it now... He he he he... Just didn't recognize anyone from the photos...:lol

Wait Lohan has a movie? :bh:bh

I just noticed, in those pictures I posted above, Brett Ratner is doing the same pose as Shrek. Oh how I hate them.

See, I thought the whole point of your pictorial post was that Ratner looks like Shrek... which he kind of does... I just couldn't figure out why the chick was in there...

This is all very odd. New Line’s rights to even do the Hobbit or anything else relating to Tolkein properties apparently expire at some point in 2007 – which explains the studio wanting to callously rush this whole thing into production. What confuses me is they still clearly believe they’ve enough time to pull it off , yet Tolkien Enterprises chief Saul Zaentz has had this to say in a German interview:

Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?

A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1164265935

Now if you read the statement from PJ and Fran Walsh, they too note that New Line only has limited time to exploit the rights to The Hobbit and a prequel film (presumably inspired partly by The Silmarillion?), but clearly they still do have time, which again leaves me curious as to why Zaentz can speak so confidently about the situation:

However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.

Ordesky said that New Line has a limited time option on the film rights they have obtained from Saul Zaentz (this has never been conveyed to us before), and because we won't discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director.”

http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1163993546.html

Their comment claiming they had no knowledge of the rights return to Zaentz appears to be in direct contrast with those words of Zaentz himself who is talking like he and Jackson have already been in talks.

I've read so much conflicting information on this over the week. Here's a quote that makes me think this will get tied up in legal battles until the Tolkien Enterprises can step take over the rights again.

But the decision may not be as open and shut as the director writes. For while New Line owns the rights to produce the film, the distribution rights are owned by MGM, which has said in recent weeks it is committed to The Hobbit with Jackson at the helm.

Link to article: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2006/11/21/jackson-hobbit.html

And here's more on it http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30806

A German website, Elbenwald.de, posted an interview with Zaentz, who acquired the rights to the works of the late Rings writer, J.R.R. Tolkien, in 1976 (the Saul Zaentz Company owns Tolkien Enterprises), in which Zaentz says, "It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. ... Next year The Hobbit rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios

Next year seems like an awful short window for New Line to get anything going. Anyone have any idea exactly what rights are being discussed here?