LCVG

What Will You Be Doing On Black Friday....

PHiL

I know, Its one CRAZY day...

Being in Retail Does Suck..Im on my 6th Year as A Retail Manager, On my Black Friday I will be spending it at Work.. I have to go in at 4:30 am and work till 4:30 p.m...

Its one of the days in which i never wished existed.. The annoying customers shopping and screaming for not getting 1 penny off of something already marked down half off, or customers buying something and saying " this box has a scratch and is a xmas present do i get anything off"NO NO NO!!! GO HOME!!! Be your own families pain in the ass, Do not bother me with over 200 customers in the store with such petty BS..

Waking up that early to deal with people like that is :bh ..

This is why I do not shop in stores during the holidays, Even if you dont know them Your embarrassed for them. and just walk away laughing most of the time.

I was thinking of going shopping to see if I could snag a cheap HD LCD deal. I noticed CompUSA was opening at nine tonight. I figured why not try it since they had a pretty good deal on a few widescreens (was looking at the 26 and 23 they had on sale) and dealing with a single store open at night would be better than the insanity of everything open. So I left my house a little after nine - the whole strip mall lot parking was packed so things didn't bode well. The checkout lines were insane - some were across the whole store. My dad and I did a couple of loops around the store and all the deals were barren. Almost gave up when I asked a guy in line with one of them if they sold out immediately and he said no he had to ask someone.

Sure enough they had JUST sold out of the 26" but still had several left of the 23" for $299. We went to the lines by the service desk which were 1/3 the size of the main checkouts and were checked out within 30 minutes or so.

So a big thumbs up to this years Black Friday. We drove by Best Buy at about 11PM and the line was around the building of people camping out.

I'm going from a 4:3 20" so its not a dramatic increase in size but the width and sharpness will be a good bonus and I got $200 for my old one so it was only $100 difference.

I was thinking of going shopping to see if I could snag a cheap HD LCD deal. I noticed CompUSA was opening at nine tonight. I figured why not try it since they had a pretty good deal on a few widescreens (was looking at the 26 and 23 they had on sale) and dealing with a single store open at night would be better than the insanity of everything open. So I left my house a little after nine - the whole strip mall lot parking was packed so things didn't bode well. The checkout lines were insane - some were across the whole store. My dad and I did a couple of loops around the store and all the deals were barren. Almost gave up when I asked a guy in line with one of them if they sold out immediately and he said no he had to ask someone.

Sure enough they had JUST sold out of the 26" but still had several left of the 23" for $299. We went to the lines by the service desk which were 1/3 the size of the main checkouts and were checked out within 30 minutes or so.

So a big thumbs up to this years Black Friday. We drove by Best Buy at about 11PM and the line was around the building of people camping out.

I'm going from a 4:3 20" so its not a dramatic increase in size but the width and sharpness will be a good bonus and I got $200 for my old one so it was only $100 difference.

I'm not a big LCD guy but $300 - $200 = $100 is a great price point!

I got permission from the wife on the phone to get rid of the daylight TV (old 27" CRT) and get a 32" LCD from BB or Sears (0% interest). Gotta wait until she comes back though - she's out shopping, I'm home with the baby (who is still sleeping). She's obviously had too much coffee :D

I got a good deal at staples.com though.

60GB Maxtor portable USB2.0 drive (2.5" )

200GB Maxtor IDE HDD

and some filler:

6 outlet surge protector

1GB SD card

For $28 AR + $4.50 for a 30/150 coupon on ebay and I had a few $3 ink coupons laying around. $32 total AR for 200GB, 60GB, 1GB SD, and a FAR surge protector. :D Gotta love BF.

Well,there was only one thing that I truly wanted for us - a SD memory card.I went last night to my local CompUSA,only to find it not opening until midnight.Screw that...

So,the only other thing we were gonna do is try & help a good friend of ours try & score a Wii.They have had some hardships over the past couple of years,and I knew that my local GameStop was getting some consoles for sale today,so we figured to help them out.

We got up & left the house at 3:30 AM & went over to GS.There was already some people waiting in line,& it looked like we would be the 8th in line to get a Wii.(Good thing too,because they were only supposed to get 10 in.But I'll get back to that...) Leslie stood in line while I went to check out BB,CC & Wally World.

BB was crazy with probably 300-400 people in line,and it's made worse by the fact that my local BB is one of the newer,smaller stores.CC was better,but their register setup is an absolute nightmare.So I tried my luck at Wal-Mart.

One of WM's specials was a generic(Impact)1 GB SD card for $13.87.I asked the manager if they were doing any pricematching,& the response was yes,unless it was a "doorbuster" item. So I did my shopping,went to checkout,asked again,got the okay,& ended up getting an OfficeMax match on a 1 GB SanDisk card for $12.99. The manager was royally pissed,but she did match one card. I ended up getting into WM about 5:25 & I was out before 6. Here's what I got:

Impact 1 GB SD card - $13.87

Sandisk 1 GB SD card - $12.99

Ice Age 2:The Meltdown DVD - $12.87

X-Men 3 DVD - $9.72 (not worth more than 10 bucks anyways;) )

Zathura/Jumanji 2-pack DVD (Sara Xmas gift) - $11.88

SW:ESB LE DVD - $9.72

Called Leslie,who told me that our friends had shown up & were waiting with her in line,& that there was a problem,but that it should be taken care of.I said okay,& hit Target at about 6:10 AM.

I Love my local bulls-eye:tu. Second year in a row that I was in & out with no hassle or waiting in line.Haul from there is simple:

Over The Hedge DVD - $15/$7.50 (Xmas gift for a student on my bus,I'm splitting the cost with someone)

March Of The Penguins DVD - $3.98

Wii 3-pack glove set - $24.99 (I didn't want to wait,& I wasn't buying a pink one...;))

B&D Family Size Griddle - $19.99 (dunno,my wife wanted one,so she can make up more pancakes at one time:D )

I was out by 6:30,& then headed over to GS.There I found out that there was a miscount on the Wiis - only 9 had come in on the shipment.Seems that while I was shopping at the other stores - some people came up & had said that they were there earlier & had made a list of those who were supposedly in line from before.(Mind you,no one in line had this list,rather one of the people who walked up after we did

The store mgr. came out,told the news about the Wiis,& Leslie spoke up about those people & their so-called list.Those people were told that making up a list & not staying in line didn't coun't with him,& that only those standing in a constant line would get 1st crack at the Wiis. Needless to say,those people on the list were pissed off,but left after putting up a brief arguement.

We ended up getting the last Wii,so our friends we extremely happy & thanked us for helping them out.That would have been the end of it.but...nooooo,I went looking around the store & found some items that I just couldn't pass up (especially with the B2 get 1 free used sale).This is what I got:

Sandisk 2 GB SD Memory Card- $29.99 (mgr let me price match from BB)

2000 Wii Points - $19.99

James Bond:Ultimate Edition Set 1 - $22.49 w/GS card

James Bond:Ultimate Edition Set 2 - $22.49 w/GS card

Xbox 360 King Kong - free (wasn't gonna pay much more than that...)

Total - just under $100 for everything.

The Bond sets are like new,with pristine discs for all 10 films.I wasn't going to get these sets & hold out for hi-def versions,but I couldn't beat the price.So my older JB DVD's will be traded in for store credit.

So I'm now home & gonna play some games.I think I did okay.I'm happy with what I got :D

Well, my wife told me she got the 32" Westinghouse LCD at BB. Baby got up, I fed her, and zipped right out to the store. Only to find out she grabbed the wrong one - 27" Westinghouse (apparently they were out of the 32"). I decided to pass it up. I'd didn't want to downgrade in size from our 27" CRT SDTV (4:3 on a 16:9 27" is pathetically small). One of the BB guys offered to order me the Panny plasma but I didn't want to spend $1000 on a daylight TV. $500 was my max. So I passed.

My wife grabbed a bunch of DVDs as usual - way too many. But they were cheap. She got me Groundhog's Day, Xmen3, and Anger Management (did I mention it was cheap?).

I have 2 of the 200GB HDDs coming. One for $14.64 (bless the staples ink coupons) and the other deal I mentioned before. Maybe I'll set 'em up in IDE dual-redudant RAID for stuff I don't want to lose. :D